where to pass power wire through firewall??

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
dave9382

where to pass power wire through firewall??

Post by dave9382 »

So Installed 4 new aftermarket speakers and head unit in my new vibe today and it went great.Now I am trying to wire the amp for my sub (which is gonna sit in the back)to the battery?Does anyone know where I can run the powerwire to get it to the battery? Is there a place in the firewall already I can fit the 8 guage wire through or is there an easy place I can drill a hole? I tried looking up under the pedals etc but could not find a real easy spot... Also tried drilling a hole but couldnt really get it to go through and I didnt want to drill into something bad... Anyone have a diagram or even just a suggested location of how to pass the power wire through to the battery on an 05 vibe? Thanks, David
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

Look at the brake fluid resivoir. Behind that, to the left, is the main wiring harness grommet.If you look under the dashboard, but up, above the gas pedal, you'll see the other side.Get a phillips head screwdriver, or a long, thin knife, and pierce it, then you should be able to get your 8ga through.I have one 4 ga, one 8 ga, and a few smaller wires going through that hole.
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

yup. that's where they ran all the wiring for my speakers, amps, and subs.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
jeffgtx

Re: (trdvibe)

Post by jeffgtx »

why do you need to run audio stuff thru the firewall (question based on ignorance)
JeffGTX's Shades Of Gray Pontiac Armada:Cool: 2008 Solstice GXP ConvertibleSly: 2009 Solstice GXP CoupeMaverick: 2009 G8 GXP
ColonelPanic

Re: (jeffgtx)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Well, the engine needs to listen to music too! I'm really hoping they only ran a power wire of some huge gauge for an amp through there. lol!
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
dave9382

Post by dave9382 »

ya was running power wire... and a little tweeter for my engine to jam too...anyway.. Thanks I found what you were talking about and that was much easier.. got it wired through.. Hope everything works when I finish hooking it up tomorrow
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

Quote, originally posted by jeffgtx »why do you need to run audio stuff thru the firewall (question based on ignorance)Heh..other than the engine needing music..Amplifiers and subs and such require a lot of power, so you need to run thicker wiring straight to the battery to feed it.. Thus..going through the firewall.
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
jeffgtx

Re: (Jahntassa)

Post by jeffgtx »

all amps? or jsut high power amp. i wasnt really planning on powering my little 2 ch 400w one thru the firewiall... do i still need to?
JeffGTX's Shades Of Gray Pontiac Armada:Cool: 2008 Solstice GXP ConvertibleSly: 2009 Solstice GXP CoupeMaverick: 2009 G8 GXP
binary

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by jeffgtx »all amps? or jsut high power amp. i wasnt really planning on powering my little 2 ch 400w one thru the firewiall... do i still need to?It's a good idea to run a power cable with an inline fuse from the battery, there's no where else that can supply that type of power in your car. Even a small amp is probably rated for 15a of draw.If you're not comfortable with wiring up the amp, a good audio shop would be able to have your system up and running in under an hour. Then again - just come to a meet - you can see how people did there own and probably get some help too!I enjoy doing that kind of stuff - if you're in SoWI, swing by I got plenty of garage space.
HamiltonAudio

Post by HamiltonAudio »

There are simply no exceptions - an amplifier needs to have a power wire run to the battery. No matter how small the amp bmoney
Hamilton AudioCar Audio, Security & Performancemembers.shaw.ca/hamiltonaudio
jeffgtx

Re: (HamiltonAudio)

Post by jeffgtx »

i must be confused. arent there plenty of fused supplies on this side with 15A fuses?i am not trying to be argumentative, i jsut liket o understand why i am wrong.
HamiltonAudio

Post by HamiltonAudio »

sure there are plenty of supplies with 15A fuses, and all those circuits are well used! I guess you /could/ wire to one of them, but when you keep popping fuses, or melt factory wiring or blow up an amp, you'll have hard proof as to why ur wrong Even small amplifiers will draw far more current than any circuit in the existing wiring was ever designed to support. Period. bmoney
Hamilton AudioCar Audio, Security & Performancemembers.shaw.ca/hamiltonaudio
KaosStarr

Post by KaosStarr »

Ok, since were on the order of new amps. I have M&T package I'm thinking of next summer replacing the factory speaker system with a new set of components either JL Audio or Infinity. My question is in all reality could I get a clip and find a diagram for the wires, so that I could use the factory harness to run my new amp? Because if you think about it all it does is power to the speakers and gives it power, I can just run my own RCA's or look for an amp with speaker leadins. Is that possible to do?
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

You can get the wiring harness that connects to the stock amp connectors and do it that way, yes. Search for 'Bypassing M&T amp' I think.. There's a Metra harness you can use.You can't use the in-dash harness, that goes directly to under the passenger seat, then through the M&T amp, and out to the speakers..
bassplayaz06

Re: (Jahntassa)

Post by bassplayaz06 »

anks for posting this. aved me a couple hours tryin to find a good spot.
2003 Vibe GT, 1.8L, 6 speed Manual Lava Red 2 tone18" sport edition rimsCosmo CAIMy Garage http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42483
DressedInBlack

Post by DressedInBlack »

ou're elcome!
http://
Infinity-x

Re: where to pass power wire through firewall??

Post by Infinity-x »

I hate to bump an old thread but can I find the firewall hole near the brake line? As stated above using a screwdriver to puncture a hole through it? I have a 2009 Vibe and can't seem to find the firewall ANYWHERE. Looking for alternative routes! Thanks in advance
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

Infinity-x wrote:I hate to bump an old thread but can I find the firewall hole near the brake line? As stated above using a screwdriver to puncture a hole through it? I have a 2009 Vibe and can't seem to find the firewall ANYWHERE. Looking for alternative routes! Thanks in advance
I might be adding an amp soon so I want to follow this for any advice you get.
Infinity-x

Post by Infinity-x »

kumquat wrote:
Infinity-x wrote:I hate to bump an old thread but can I find the firewall hole near the brake line? As stated above using a screwdriver to puncture a hole through it? I have a 2009 Vibe and can't seem to find the firewall ANYWHERE. Looking for alternative routes! Thanks in advance
I might be adding an amp soon so I want to follow this for any advice you get.
I got through the firewall and got my sub and amp installed. Ill post pics later tonight on where I got through the firewall.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Link from relate thread, have video showing where I ran wire around 1:30 mark. Best part is wire accessibility from inside the car.

Link: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40241#p478178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )