I am Sirius!

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Mr. Poopypants

I am Sirius!

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

Sirius Sportster radio INSTALLED! By the way, the channel lineup is excellent. I will post a pic when I can. I was going to copy RagingFish's install of his XM but I opted to mount it on the dash. Anyone else have satellite radio? How and where did you install yours?I also used a converter to wire the radio directly into my stereo, what's the point of digital quality if you don't hear it in digital quality.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: I am Sirius! (Mr. Poopypants)

Post by NSimkins »

Nice, I'd like to see some pics! I've had SIRIUS for over a year and a half now and love it. I haven't listened to FM since. My setup consists of a Kenwood head unit w/ the Kenwood SIRIUS tuner direct connect (artist/title integrated into head unit). The best sound is from a direct connect, nice work.
PhillyVibeGT

Post by PhillyVibeGT »

I have sirius, but haven't installed it as of yet, it's a Christmas gift so I won't get it for a few weeks. I saw fish's set up and liked it, i'm not sure what/where I will put mine untill I get my hands on it. I will most likely have it professionally installed if it is complicated. pics would be nice though.
04 GT Satellite Monotone17'' Fittipaldi Fins on Falkin Azenis ST115'sMoon and Tunes/Sirius Satallite RadioInjen CAI/Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust GM Top Spoiler/Debaged SilverStar Fogs "I wasn’t born rich, I’m good looking instead"
Mr. Poopypants

Re: I am Sirius! (PhillyVibeGT)

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

Which receiver did you (are you) getting? The sportster is awesome. I'll take some pics when I get home. The nice thing is, with the place I mounted it, the wires are almost invisible, thanks to a little notch I cut in a hidden part of the dash behind the stereo trim. I'll post pics in a little while.
PhillyVibeGT

Post by PhillyVibeGT »

I believe she bought the car version but I'm not 100% on that.
04 GT Satellite Monotone17'' Fittipaldi Fins on Falkin Azenis ST115'sMoon and Tunes/Sirius Satallite RadioInjen CAI/Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust GM Top Spoiler/Debaged SilverStar Fogs "I wasn’t born rich, I’m good looking instead"
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

I have an XM Commander and installed it on the dash as well. It is right above the glove box. The wires run into the glove box so you never reallly see them unless you are looking for them. The FM modulator is in the dash behind the glove box. I will take a pic today and post it if I remember.(converted to link due to size) http://img.photobucket.com/alb...5.jpg
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
Mr. Poopypants

Re: I am Sirius! (damronjr)

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

Here are a few pics, it was dark so they may not be the best.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I'm Sirius too! I just got back from Best Buy with my new Sportster... Wish I had the home kit though, I'm too tired to go out and install it, would be nice if I could just sit around the house and getit activated. Time for bed, and I'll make an attempt at getting this thing installed later on today...
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
ColonelPanic

Re: I am Sirius! (ColonelPanic)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Ahhh! I slapped the antenna on the roof and plugged in the Sportster. Ran into some snags trying to activate online, so I ended up having to call a human to get the job done. Even then, it only took about 10 minutes of holding and finally getting things taken care of.Haven't "mounted" this thing anywhere as of yet... Trying to figure out what to do with it. I tried sticking it on the dash, but it kinda blocks my vision. So I don't think I will be able to go that route... Unfortunately, the "best" place that I've found so far is just sitting it in the front of the console. I can still see the display pretty well, although I have to take my eyes off the road to look at it. But, I can just keep the remote close by and change the channel without looking down, so that's a plus... I can't leave it there though, I'm notorious for spilled beverages.... *sizzle* Unless I decide to stop using the cup holders, which is a good alternative to having to do actual work by physically mounting this somewhere. I'll post some pics in daylight when I finally figure out what I'm going to do with the thing.Just got back from a 150 mile test drive. I'm just using the FM transmitter integrated into this thing for the moment, but I have to say it sounds GOOD! I heard very little static during the drive. I did have to move away from the original frequency I chose, since where I ended up going to had a station nearby that frequency. (And being able to choose any frequency for it to transmit is a big bonus!) On the downside, the sound from it is a bit dull. Plenty of lows and mids, but not too much on the upper end of the spectrum. I tweaked the Vibe's EQ to get it sounding a little better, sounds good enough for me. It doesn't sound crystal clear like listening to a CD in my car with the moon & tunes package, but then again it doesn't sound any worse than normal FM radio. I bet it sounds great when physically connected to a head unit.I'm very pleased with the Sportster, and Sirius' programming. The music is great - I've heard plenty of good stuff I have forgotten over the years, and many tunes that I really dig from a wide variety of genres... Their programming is just awesome. The unit itself is packed with cool features, looks nice, and is relatively easy to work. I like the automatic dimming feature, as well as the amber/green switchable illumination I kinda dig the green display/amber buttons.Can't wait to rack up more miles in the ol' Vibe listening to satellite radio. Here's a few pics of it, I'll be adding more later on...http://photobucket.com/albums/...rius/

Image Image
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Just got the home kit for this thing today... I was afraid if I didn't, the Vibe would have 100,000 miles on it by the end of next year. Sounding really good in the house - plugged it in to the PC.

Image Image
Mr. Poopypants

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

I was thinking about the console, but like you said, you would have to take your eyes off the road. It does sound bad (removed) doesn't it! Wait until you get an FM Modulator (wired of course) you get even better sound!By the way, Check out Sirius 21 Alt. Nation. GOOD MUSIC!
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Oh yeah! Alt. Nation is awesome. Now I'm wondering why it took me so long to get into satellite radio... Being able to hear actual music instead 52 minutes of Clear Channel radio spam an hour is unbelievable. Terrestrial radio - *pfft!* lol!Going down to the folks' house tonight where I'll be able to park the car in a garage so I can figure out the mounting w/o freezing to death. I did try sticking the receiver on the dash sitting at an angle by the left 'A' pillar - it wasn't too bad in that location, I may try that...

Image Image
Mr. Poopypants

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

You may want to watch out for inspection though. If it is considered a hazard they probably will give you crap about it, same if you were to get pulled over. Just giving you a heads up.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I didn't think about that! No inspections are done here, but I would bet a cop will probably have something to say about it if he pulled me over. When sitting at an angle near the windshield, it does hinder visibility to a point, but it didn't seem too bad. The main reason I thought about that location would be the fact that I could easily hide the wiring - just run it down along the side of the dash and not having to hack anything up. But now that you mention it, I think I'll try something different. Is there a windshield mount like Raging has that will work with our radios? Mounting it up high would be probably one of the better solutions for me. Or, I may just leave it down in the console, try to find some way to hide the cables, and keep using the remote. I've got every preset set to the stuff I would want to listen to and organized just so, and if I'm using the preset tune mode, I wouldn't have to deal with reaching and looking down, trying to find the right channel... I don't know what I'm going to do for this thing!

Image Image
Mr. Poopypants

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

That is the same position I was in, but you can easily hide the wires if you mount it where I mounted mine. I need to take better pics.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I discovered something cool this afternoon... Man, I'm a friggin' idiot sometimes (no, that isn't what I discovered, I've known that for a long time. lol!) When I was unpacking the Sporster the other day, I took out the mounting pedestal and threw it aside thinking "what am i gonna do with this?" I was just going to put a piece of double-sided tape on the bottom of the cradle and stick it to something... Or just lay the Sportster down in the front of the console.Then I realized, "oh yeah, this may work!" when I was looking at the pedestal. Funny how it took me so long to figure that one out. Mounted the cradle to it, removed the little carpet piece in front of the console and gave the plastic a good cleaning, stuck the pedestal down, and viola... It sits up much higher now, a bit easier to see (although there is some glare,) and I don't have to twist my arm in strange angles to get the remote to work. It does move a bit (not where it is mounted, just the tilt/swivel part) when pushing buttons, so I tilted it down a bit and kinda wedged the cradle against the console, took care of that problem.I think I'll leave it there... Maybe later on I'll drill a hole through the bottom of the console to route the power and antenna cables, as of now they just come out on the right side of the console - kinda tacky, but hey I don't have to see them, the passenger does. I'm using the console power outlet for the tuner. Also hid the antenna cable, it comes out around the 'B' pillar on the passenger's side, goes under the seat (where all that excess is taped up) and onto the tuner. It still isn't the best place to put the thing, but it works fine there nonetheless. As long as I don't keep looking down and wreck, and as long as I don't spill anything, I'll be fine. Definitely get some pics more of your setup man!

Attached files

Image Image
Mr. Poopypants

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

I should be able to get a few pics today.
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Wow, all the installs here look great! Best part about the Plug-n-Play units is portability between home, car, boombox, etc. Keep the pics coming.
ColonelPanic

Re: I am Sirius! (NSimkins)

Post by ColonelPanic »

I'm glad I went with a plug-and-play setup... This thing has been playing almost non-stop day and night since I got the home kit. The home kit follows me to work, back home, and anywhere else I may end up. This is too great of a thing to only be able to enjoy in the car.

Image Image
Kari

Post by Kari »

Yes, it is just too great to only be able to listen in the car! Believe it or not. the FM transmitter in that thing is strong enough for me to be able to listen anywhere in the house...I can just only change channels in my bedroom. Anyway, here I am, finally contributing my own little picture to this post... James hooked me up with Sirius as my graduation present, and I've only had it for two weeks (almost exactly to the hour now LOL) but I'm already addicted. I always hated radio because I hate commercials, I want to listen to music, not commercials, so I'm *loving* this... *sigh* I highly recommend this setup to all of my fellow radio haters, for even if there is no Clear Channel where you live, there are still plenty of commercials to go around. (Besides, I love standup comedy, and never in my life have I ever heard a standup comedy FM station, much less two!)My install is identical to his...and it works especially well for me because I'm so short, so the e-brake isn't even in the way. Haha.

Attached files
GenVibe Global Moderator
ColonelPanic

Re: (Kari)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Glad you're enjoying it. Sirius rocks. That FM transmitter in the Sportster is surprisingly effective! Strange though, in my apartment, it won't go the shoirt distance from the bedroom to the living room... Yet, when I have it in the bedroom and it's turned on, I can listen to it from out in the car. Huh? Here's what you need so you can use your remote anywhere in the house... 'course you won't have the display to see, but hey... http://www.smarthome.com/8220a.html

Image Image
Kari

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by Kari »

LOL...unfortunately, the display is kind of necessary, at least for me. Eh, in a couple of months, it won't matter so much, as I won't be having such a distance to walk to change channels... I've noticed I can cause interference with the FM transmitter with my body, if I stand in the wrong spot on the other side of my bed...ironically, not even in the path between the receiver and the stereo. Strange indeed...
GenVibe Global Moderator
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

Quote, originally posted by Kari »I've noticed I can cause interference with the FM transmitter with my body, if I stand in the wrong spot on the other side of my bed...ironically, not even in the path between the receiver and the stereo. Strange indeed...Your body acts as a huge antenna! It's because of the water and salt content in your body. Have you ever noticed that staticy reception on portable FM tuners can be cleared up just by grabbing the antenna with your hand? It's one of the fun quirks of the universe..
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
Kari

Re: (Jahntassa)

Post by Kari »

Yeah but should I be causing interference instead of clearing it up?
GenVibe Global Moderator
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Yep, your body, while it does act like a big ol' antenna, it also can block signals, particularly FM from what I've found.FM travels in a line-of-sight fashion, and the signal can be blocked when something is between the transmitter and the receiver.I use a small FM transmitter occasionally around the house... If i'm in my bedroom in a certain position, I find my body does block the signal... I just have to move a bit and the signal gets back to the radio without any issues. Kinda strange how this stuff works.

Image Image
Kari

Post by Kari »

What's odd about this spot though is that it's almost to the dresser...a good 4-5 feet away from the radio and the straight line between the receiver and the radio... Then again I think I'm just electrified or something...I get shocked every time I get out of my car or get up off the couch.
GenVibe Global Moderator
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

We're both surrounded by an electromagnetic field, methinks.

Image Image
Mr. Poopypants

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

Nice install Kari. I was thinking of installing it there, but I wasn't sure about how difficult it would be to see it, and I am not a big fan of taking my eyes off the road for a long time. Looks good though, and glad you are liking it.
Kari

Re: (Mr. Poopypants)

Post by Kari »

I figure I'm going to have to take my eyes off the road for a few seconds to read it anyway, no matter where it's mounted. I just keep it on preset tuning mode so I can turn the knob without looking and scan through my presets that way. I really like the out-of-the-way location too.
GenVibe Global Moderator
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

That preset tuning mode is a wonderful! I don't know if I could deal with it being down there and having to look down all the time. So I just grab the remote or turn the knob without looking down. Take care of your Sportster though, mine's beat all to hell and the display is way scratched up... It's almost impossible to see if you have the moonroof open.

Image Image
Kari

Post by Kari »

It has one little tiny scratch on the display, not sure from what, and the rest has just been from fingerprints. I figure something in my purse probably got it while I had my hands full and had to put it in there to carry it all in the house. But I am taking care of it I promise.
GenVibe Global Moderator
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

*bump!* I got a hell of a deal on a Sportster Replay tonight. A Radio Shack over in the next town has a "we're slashing prices, everything must go" sale, they're closing up shop. Radio Shack has the Sportster Replay with car kit for $149.99 regularly. Thanks to these guys going under, I picked it up for $104.99. There's a $30 rebate on top of that I'm getting ready to send off for as well. That rocks. I'm gonna miss my green display, I loved the way it perfectly matched the Hyundai's interior. But I beat the living crap out of my old receiver. The screen was scratched to hell, the knob didn't work right, the remote has been MIA for half a year now. It sucked. So now, I can start fresh with a brand spankin' new tuner and actually take care of it this time around. The pause/rewind feature is pretty nifty, can't wait to check it out some more.Here's a few pics!Yay, remote storage cubbie! I'll get a night shot here in a bit.

Image Image
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

ooooh...

Image Image
21Rouge

Post by 21Rouge »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »*bump!* I got a hell of a deal on a Sportster Replay tonight. I love my XM SkyFi2 but I couldnt help but place an order for the Pioneer INNO (satellite radio and MP3 player)http://www.pcmag.com/article2/...0.asp
P-Fernandez

Post by P-Fernandez »

I just got a Delphi MyFi, about 1 week ago.. i love it !.. the FM thingy in there is pretty good...I wanted the INNO.. but that was another 230 dlls.. so i just got the myfi
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

I got the MiFi free the month after it came out. It was a promo for people at Circuit City. Spend $40 on three months service and get the MiFi free. So that replaced my Roady.The Inno is really what i'd like, but can't spend that kinda money right now, so i'll stick with the MiFi and XM online.Really want to get an XM direct unit and run timetrax on it.My wife (since this thread is about Sirius at first) has the S50, got it for her for Christmas. Nice little unit! But the car dock could use some redesign..
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
meathead333

Post by meathead333 »

ive posted these before back in the day, but figured id show my sirius setup too....i had fun with a dremel on my instal.
My myspace.com profile My 73' Bronco Cardomain page
shane_c

Post by shane_c »

Quote, originally posted by Mr. Poopypants »Here are a few pics, it was dark so they may not be the best.Did you have to drill into the dash to mount it there?
2006 Vibe (base) - Platinum Silver, 5 spd, ABS, Power Package, Infinity Speakers, Dynomax muffler, Cosmo SR intake - SOLD
Kari

Post by Kari »

Unfortunately, Mr. Poopypants no longer visits GVC I'm not sure how exactly he mounted it, but I have the same Sirius unit he does, and the bottom of the mount has a double-sided tape bottom, so you wouldn't have to drill if you could get it to sit securely on the dash and stick it down.
GenVibe Global Moderator
shane_c

Post by shane_c »

Quote, originally posted by Kari »Unfortunately, Mr. Poopypants no longer visits GVC I'm not sure how exactly he mounted it, but I have the same Sirius unit he does, and the bottom of the mount has a double-sided tape bottom, so you wouldn't have to drill if you could get it to sit securely on the dash and stick it down.Doh! Where do you get the 12V for these things? Do they have to plug in the cig lighter? Or do you wire it somewhere else?
2006 Vibe (base) - Platinum Silver, 5 spd, ABS, Power Package, Infinity Speakers, Dynomax muffler, Cosmo SR intake - SOLD
KNINE

Re: (shane_c)

Post by KNINE »

I plugged mine into the lighter.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
shane_c

Post by shane_c »

Is the cigarette lighter the only option?
Kari

Re: (shane_c)

Post by Kari »

Mine is plugged into the 12V outlet in the console...if your Vibe doesn't have this already ('03s and '04s did) it can be easily installed and is fairly plug and play. This way it's out of the way.
GenVibe Global Moderator