poloarized sunglasses

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
zionzr2

poloarized sunglasses

Post by zionzr2 »

I recently got a new set of shades that are polarized to reduce glare. They are awesome except for one thing. i have to turn my head to the side (ear on shoulder) to see the display on the radio. looking at it straight on makes the display totaly disapear.Are there any mods to the radio's display i can make to eliminate this problem. YES, I could get non poloarized shades but i would rather not.Thanks
ebslopp

Re: poloarized sunglasses (zionzr2)

Post by ebslopp »

there is no simple mod you could do to the radio. The LCD display in the radio works by utilizing polarized light, so short of swapping the LCD panel, there is no mod.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------2004 Base - TwoTone Neptune - 5 speed There are 10 types of people in life. There are those who understand binary and those who do not.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Has anyone else experienced this also??
MBS

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by MBS »

Yep. Same story when I use polarized sunglasses. However, the problem goes away at night when I toss the shades. During the day, I generally leave the XM radio on the comedy channel (#150) and drive around, amused.
MBS 2005 FWD; Moonstone MonotonePower Pkg; Moon/Tunes; ABS Brakes; Side AirbagsStabilitrak;XM Radio; 16" Factory Alum. WheelsCargo Net; Cargo Mat; Foldable storage boxElectronic Compass
cohocarl

Re: poloarized sunglasses (zionzr2)

Post by cohocarl »

Reminds me of when I was trying to watch a show on my Casio LCD tv and thought it had crapped out because I could hear the sound, but no picture.......till I remembered I had my polarized fishing glasses on.I don't think there's any way around the stereo display though, other than turning your head, or find some polarized sunglasses that have round lenses in them and rotate the lenses.
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

I second Cohocarl. No way to do it other than to turn the lenses themselves.
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

You could rotate the lenses, but they'd no longer do their job properly...I have the same problem iwth my skyfi...polarized lenses and LCD displays don't play nicely...just inherent design issue I suppose...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

They'd still do their job no matter which way they're rotated. Most polarized sunglasses aren't oriented the same way between the two pieces of glass, which is where most of the problems come from.The issue would be finding the exact right rotation. Keeping in mind if you move your head slightly either way, the problem comes back.
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

the problem is my lenses are not round or able to rotate. maybe if i could just replace or re-position the lens on the radio somehow.
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

I think it'd be way too costly to get someone to make a specific piece of polarized plastic. Plus, depending on how the radio display is built, it might not be replacable without completely replacing the display itself, which would be quite costly.
MBS

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by MBS »

well, maybe you could rotate the dash sideways, at 90 degrees to your sunglasses. That would be pretty cool -- a rotatable dash.
MBS 2005 FWD; Moonstone MonotonePower Pkg; Moon/Tunes; ABS Brakes; Side AirbagsStabilitrak;XM Radio; 16" Factory Alum. WheelsCargo Net; Cargo Mat; Foldable storage boxElectronic Compass
cdFxer

Post by cdFxer »

Some LCD's the polarization filter is removable. If this one is, take it out and turn it end-for-end. My sunglasses are polarized as well. But I must of gotten lucky, I have to turn my head for the interference patterns to mesh.
MBS

Re: poloarized sunglasses (cohocarl)

Post by MBS »

Or, you could experiment and try to make a pair of sunglasses using rotatable circular polarizing photographic lens filters (i.e., the type that screws on to the lens). It might be simpler, though, to use "flip up" sunglasses so that you could quickly go between polarized or not.