Replace 2003 Moon and Tunes Stereo

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
tmdteach

Replace 2003 Moon and Tunes Stereo

Postby tmdteach » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:25 am

Hello,
I am purchasing the Pioneer MVH-200EX from Crutchfield to replace the original head unit in a 2003 Vibe with the Moon and Tunes package. I've read on this forum that something like a Scosche SLC4 Line Output Converter is necessary to use because of the factory amp. Other people, however, say they didn't use one. Does needing one depend on the new HU you are using? If so, will I need one with the MVH-200EX? When I chatted with Crutchfield, the rep said their records do not indicate I need the line output converter and when I put it in my cart on their web site, I get a note that says "This item is NOT recommended for your vehicle". So, my question is... Do I need this product or not? This is my first installation so I'm trying to read as much as I can and be as thorough as I can. Many thanks for any input.
TIna

zbyers

Re: Replace 2003 Moon and Tunes Stereo

Postby zbyers » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:19 pm

I used one of those simple adapter kits from walmart just fine. the 03, to the best of my knowledge, did not come factory with an amp so you should be fine.
Ruby- '03 Salsa, Simon- '03 Satellite "Faux by Four", Raven- '03 Abyss GT
Neptune- '05 AWD, Robyn- '07 Stealth Gray Metallic, Mystic- 09 AWD

GenVibe on Facebook, Everything You Need To Know About Vibes, Great How-To Index

tmdteach

Postby tmdteach » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:07 pm

Thanks for replying. My 18 year old's newly acquired 2003 does have a factory amp under the passenger seat. That's the "tunes" part of the "moon and tunes" package. The "moon" part is the moonroof. The vehicle has tweeters on each front door as well. Was all set to do a quick and easy HU exchange until I read about this upgraded stereo package and how people were getting a lot of static and pops from not using the converter. Then others with this package didn't use converter and didn't have a problem. Maybe it has to do with how loudly you play the stereo??? I don't know... just trying to not have to redo an install because I left something out.

ColonelPanic

Postby ColonelPanic » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:58 pm

I tried it with and without the speaker level converter with two aftermarket radios on two '03s with moon & tunes. While the aftermarket radio did work without the speaker level converter, a level of white noise was introduced that I found was unacceptable. Without the converter, it may not be too noticeable when listening to a louder song, but any quiet passages will have a hiss. Not to mention things were very loud in general, even at lower volume levels.

I never noticed any pops when not using the converter, just static... I recall the pops being prevalent when people tried to wire in the aftermarket radio's line level outputs into the speaker wiring in the harness as a workaround for this issue.

The speaker level converter adds an extra cost, more points of failure and more junk you have to find space for inside the dash, but to me it's worth it. Your mileage may vary.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Neptune. Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 129k mi.

'13 Sonic LT - 1.4L ECOTEC turbo/6A. 84k mi.
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost, FWD. 41k mi. (hers)
ImageImage

zbyers

Postby zbyers » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:23 am

Rough day yesterday. I was thinking factory sub. Sorry for the confusion. They do have the amp, but not the sub. Like ColonelPanic said, it'll vary.

I do get a bit of white noise, but I also have a blown speaker or two so I'm not sure that's the cause. The white noise started more once the one rear speaker blew... ya know, 15 year old car with 265k on it. I have replacements, just work has been busy.
Ruby- '03 Salsa, Simon- '03 Satellite "Faux by Four", Raven- '03 Abyss GT
Neptune- '05 AWD, Robyn- '07 Stealth Gray Metallic, Mystic- 09 AWD

GenVibe on Facebook, Everything You Need To Know About Vibes, Great How-To Index

Return to “Audio, Electronics, Electrical”