HID install with DRL & ALC removal

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
302LVR

HID install with DRL & ALC removal

Post by 302LVR »

Hello. I'm new here so was wondering if anybody could direct me to another link or has any info on de-activating my DRLs(daytime running lights) or ALC(automatic light control) before i install my bi-xenon HID kit on my 03' VGT. I'm assuming i have to remove or disconnect these in order for my HIDs to work properly since i know the low beam headlights work at a percentage less than 100 when the DRLs are ON and i believe this might damage my ballast but i'm not 100% sure.

The other day i crawled underneath the driver side to access the fuse block and removed the fuse for DRLs but noticed that my lights still turn on automatically with low light environment and when i drop the e-brake. If anyone has done this or has any pointers i'd appreciate the help and feedback. Thanks.
ImUrOBGYN

Re: HID install with DRL & ALC removal

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I cut one single wire and it gave me back full manual control of my lights. I will have to take a look under there to see which one it was as I want to be sure since it's been a bit. I kept seeing different crap, some of it complicated, online so I took it upon myself and took a look at the wiring diagrams. I'll try to remember to check tomorrow. Maybe someone else will chime in by then.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
302LVR

Post by 302LVR »

Sounds good. Any help would be greatly appreciated and yes i know figuring these things out sometimes can be a bit complex. I actually did something similar on my 03' Pathfinder when i ran the oem fogs on an independent switch but still using the factory wiring. Thanks once again.
302LVR

Post by 302LVR »

Any updates??? :?: :?:
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Sorry, slipped my damn mind. Between the weather here and both my Supra and RAV currently in the garage, I haven't looked. I'm going to pull the VIbe into the garage tomorrow for an oil change. I'll try to remember then. I'm a pretty tall and big guy, so I almost gotta grease up to fit under that dash. lol
It appears you found an old thread on here concerning the red wire. I believe that's the one I cut, too. However, I do not have mine setup to run the fogs with the parking lights. I simply cut the one wire (I believe the same one they speak of in that other thread) and then taped the ends for safety. Again, I'll try to double check tomorrow just for assurance.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
302LVR

Post by 302LVR »

Yes, luckily it seems i found another thread where they explain on how to do this along with other options as well as far as independent control of the fog lights. It's a big help IMO since i feel safer having the maximum amount of lighting in dark areas since these cars are pretty small as well. Thanks for your help though and i'm looking forward to doing this very soon.
302LVR

Post by 302LVR »

Btw, here's a link provided by Vibenvy which explains the independent wiring of the fog lights for anyone else who might be interested. Big thanks!
viewtopic.php?t=9844
302LVR

Post by 302LVR »

Here's the link someone else shared to help with the DRL bypass in case someone else is interested in doing it. It's a big help and mandatory i believe when installing HIDs since they won't work off a lower power percentage like the DRLs produce, it's either ON or OFF. Hope it helps others. Thanks once more.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28390&start=50