Used ECM possible?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions

Used ECM possible?

Post by 11142007 »

I currently have ECM 89661-02v51 Denso in my 2010 vibe, recently I have been getting codes p0607 ECM code, I've taken my car to Chev to get the computer reprogramed but failed constant error codes and will not flash, they want $650.00 plus tax 15% for a new A/C delco one not the same product number, I went to Toyota and asked they currently have the above model number ECM for 795.00 plus taxes.

Can I use a used ECM? I can find a couple on eBay for a little over 100$

My original problems are when this happens my VSC (off) light flashes, traction control light and check engine light all at the same time and the car loses power (like I am driving a power wheels) I pull over run the code reader erase the codes and off I go until it sporadically happens again. Sometimes immediately sometimes a couple days and I repeat the process each time.

I have ruled out a battery issue which can sometimes cause the ECM code I went and bought a brand new battery.
jolt

Re: Used ECM possible?

Post by jolt »

It is possible, it is just that the vehicle will not run when you are done; maybe 20 seconds at most. The used ECM needs to be programmed with the VIN numbers to match your car. You need to find someone with a Tech2 (GM) or possibly a Techstream (Toyota) programmer to change the code for you. Most dealers will not do it because they will only warranty new parts and service. Your going to have to call around to find someone with the equipment that is willing to do the program change.

Post by 11142007 »

Thank you for the reply! I've been going crazy trying to figure it out, every article I read seems to have been telling me even after the flash the vin won't match and you'll have a constant check engine light. I am friends with a mechanic at gm so I am going to see if I leave it in the passenger seat (the used ECM) if he will hook it up and flash it without installing it, and plug the connectors back into the one that's already in my car and I will install it at home. Not sure if that will work though
jolt

Post by jolt »

As with any of this type of stuff - Your mileage may vary. I do know that the Techstream program does read my VIN number from my '09 Vibe and has the option in the software to change the VIN number in the ECM. I do not know if the GM Tech2 has that option but it would be foolish if it does not. I to have see posts about the ECM not being able to change the VIN number in the first gen of Vibes, where the dealer told the owner that they must buy a new ECM because once the VIN is set, you can not change it. If this is true or not, I do not know. Was the dealer just saying that to sell the part, who knows? Anyways, the '09 and '10 Vibes are 2nd gen cars.

You may want to watch this youtube video about installing a used ECM in Toyota and resetting the VIN with only a paper clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QocuEYNE6KM
Another person on this board has said they tried this and said it did not work for them. If GM has done something different to the programming in the Vibe vs the Corolla or Matrix or if the person was hooked to the wrong pins, don't know. This is worth watching and you may want to give it a try.
jolt

Post by jolt »

I also found this info: http://www.matrixowners.com/tsb/T-EG049-06.pdf

If you read toward the end of the TSB from Toyota and the steps to replace ECM (PCM):

1. Replace the ECM (PCM).
Refer to TIS, 2005 or 2006 model year Repair Manual:
Corolla: Engine Control System: ECM (1ZZ–FE/2ZZ–GE): Replacement.
Matrix: 1ZZ–FE Engine Control System: ECM: Removal, Installation.

2. Register the VIN into the replacement ECM (PCM).
Corolla: Diagnostics: SFI System (1ZZ–FE): Registration.
Matrix: 1ZZ–FE Engine Control System: SFI System (for 2WD): Registration.

3. Perform the ECU Communication ID Registration.
Corolla: Theft Deterrent & Door Lock: Engine Immobilizer System: Registration.
Matrix: Engine Immobilizer: Engine Immobilizer System: Registration.

The "Register the VIN" is done with the Techstream or possibly the Tech2 programs. The "Perform the ECU Communication ID Registration" is done with the YouTube video link in the post above. So from the Toyota TSB, you need to do both things to the ECM to make it work.

Post by 11142007 »

Thanks for all your help and replies, I went to the Toyota dealership and they told me their scan tool wouldn't be able to read anything but error codes (they never tried) they told me to replace an 02 sensor and the ECM code would reset itself, umm yea OK?

I haven't bought a new or used computer haven't really been able to spare the little bit of cash it takes, I may try the paper clip method and see if maybe it some how resets the computer (free and worth a try) probably won't do a thing but at least I would have exhausted all options before purchasing a ECM.