headlight not working

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
jeff_j1701

headlight not working

Post by jeff_j1701 »

Hi all,

The passenger side headlight in my '07 Vibe isn't working.

I thought it was the bulb but it isn't, as it doesn't work with a new bulb either.

With both the old and new bulbs, the high-beams are working but not the low-beams.

Does anyone has any ideas? Do the highs and lows operate on the same fuse?

Thanks.
'07 Vibe, over 300 000km
joatmon

Re: headlight not working

Post by joatmon »

In the 03-08's, there is a single fuse that covers both headlights, so if the drivers side works it isn't a fuse. This is one difference between the Vibe and Matrix, the Matrix has separate left and right headlight fuses.

Might be worth a check of the bulbs in the driver's side, just to make sure the bulbs are good. The headlight bulbs are dual filament. I've had a number of low beam filaments burn out but the high beams still worked fine.

If its not the bulbs, and the drivers side low beam works, then it could be corrosion on the connector or (hopefully not) some mysterious issue in a wire somewhere
jolt

Re: headlight not working

Post by jolt »

The lamp socket my be bad. If you have a voltage meter, check the voltage at the socket were the lamp plugs in the socket. If no voltage at output of socket then test for line voltage at the wire leading into the socket. If the wire has voltage, replace the socket. Repair socket can be found at any good auto parts store. I have had to replace headlight sockets before, not on the Vibe, but other Japanese engineered wiring. Be sure to soldier and heat shrink tube the wiring for a good connection and to keep corrosion out.