Charge light on - looking for answers

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
chrisblues12

Charge light on - looking for answers

Post by chrisblues12 »

The battery icon light is on, on my 2004 vibe.

The daytime running lights do not go on either.

I have a new battery in - so that is not the problem.

A shop i took it to told me my alternator is good.

When the alternator is unplugged, the daytime lights go on - and when plugged back in, they go off.

Everything else works with no problems.

has anyone had this problem? I don't want to invest in more "diagnostic" charges if someone knows of an easy answer.

much appreciated in advance
Caretaker

Re: Charge light on - looking for answers

Post by Caretaker »

Sorry for your troubles. I just had an episode where my battery light came on. After two jump starts, I made it to a "mechanic." After the car sat for 2 hours waiting to see the doctor, they call me to tell me that the car started just fine and the battery and alternator tested fine. Please pay the cashier $120 for the electrical system diagnosis and have a nice day. I white knuckled it all the way home. My actual mechanic held the car overnight and told me the same thing: everything started and tested fine. I had him put in a new alternator after he said that he had seen instances where the alternator would overheat and fail, drain the battery, and then operate just fine after a period of rest. I do recall a burnt metal/rubber smell the first time I opened the hood after the car stalled out. The new alternator seems to have done the trick, although my Vibe is on notice that if it tries to strand me again, it is off to the doggy pound to get neutered, with a new Hyundai Sonata to replace it.