anyone with an Eonon in their Vibe?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
canadave

anyone with an Eonon in their Vibe?

Post by canadave »

Hi folks, just looking at replacing the stock radio in our 2004 Vibe with an Eonon head unit (probably M1). Has anyone got an Eonon in their Vibe?

I sadly don't know much about car audio...I know double DIN vs. single DIN, and that's about it :) Lame, I know. I got a quote from an installer, and he said that he'd charge about $80-$100 to install it, "if you supply the wiring harness and dash kit." I know nothing of these things :) And google searching has led to various conflicting information, to the point where I'm not sure if I need those or not. Do I? If so, where would I get something like those things?

Thanks for taking pity on a car audio newbie...
2009 base Vibe, silver"
Derf

Re: anyone with an Eonon in their Vibe?

Post by Derf »

Before reading this post, had not hard of this brand . Looked at their site, very impressed with their customer focus/value . Quick overview of how they compare themselves to other brands Link:
http://www.eonon.com/eononCompareShow.aspx?cid=13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would also be curious about results from anyone that installed this brand.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
trb

Post by trb »

Don't know about that brand, but with the dash kit, antenna adapter and wiring adapter, it is a VERY simple install. I would always use the wiring adapter since it plugs directly into the car's wiring harness so you don't hack it up, and you will need the antenna adapter since the Vibe has a small antenna connector, and most radios have a larger one. The dash kit fills in the spaces between the new radio and the existing dash face plate.

I helped my son do his install, and he had never worked on wiring or a car before. To remove the stock radio it is literally just pull the face plate surrounding the radio off and disconnect a few wiring connectors on it, remove four 10mm bolts that hold the radio in place, pull the radio, disconnect the wires from the back of the radio, and finally the antenna. About 5 min to pull it. Hardest part of the install is attaching the new radio wires to the adapter harness, but the colors are usually the same and you just solder them together for the best connection. You can twist them together and wrap them, but soldering is the best. Attach and install the dash kit parts and then it is plug and bolt everything back into place. Your installer will probably take less than 30 min at the most to do it. But if you are inclined to try it yourself and keep that $100 in your pocket, it is a very good place to start working on cars. Plus you have all kinds of info and videos on the internet to help!

I got my adapter kit and dash kit from a local stereo shop for about $30, but you can find the parts on amazon or ebay probably cheaper. Many auto parts places carry them too. I've found them before online from Advance Auto, bought them online and picked it up at the local store. Crutchfield stereo even gives you the adapters if you buy a radio over $100 or so. That is a good deal for a lot of units.

Good luck on it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
canadave

Post by canadave »

Hi Thomas, thanks very much for your explanation! :)

So just to clarify...I need to get a wiring harness and antenna adapter that fit the Vibe, not the Eonon, right? In other words these would work....?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Car-Stereo-H ... f8&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.ca/ANTENNA-Harness-Po ... B0088YWD0U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2009 base Vibe, silver"
trb

Post by trb »

canadave wrote:Hi Thomas, thanks very much for your explanation! :)

So just to clarify...I need to get a wiring harness and antenna adapter that fit the Vibe, not the Eonon, right? In other words these would work....?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Car-Stereo-H ... f8&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.ca/ANTENNA-Harness-Po ... B0088YWD0U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is correct. That way you can easily re-install the stock radio if you want to keep the new one if you sell the Vibe. I found pics of the M1 and it has an accessory harness (3 in the third pic below) that attaches to item 1 in the second pic. That accessory harness would be the wires you connect to the wiring adapter on ebay, along with some of the wires 2-8. It would need the small connectors cut off the other end of number 3 to connect them to the ebay harness.

I would say buy the radio and the adapter harness and antenna adapter and go through it all to see if you think it is easy enough to install. We did all of the soldering and wrapping of the wires and mounting bracket install on our kitchen table, so all we had to do was click in the wiring harness to the car harness, plug in the antenna into the adapter, and run the extra wires for the radio extras, like the parking brake wire for the video and the remote USB plug in the glove box. Then we installed the radio in the dash and bolted it in place. The dash kit includes some side brackets to mount it and a filler for the front of the radio. This is the kit I bought: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Metra-998205-03- ... 5c&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck on it and let us know if you have any questions on it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
canadave

Post by canadave »

Thanks so much for clarifying that and taking the time to post pics :) After looking at it and thinking about it, I think I'm going to let an installer do it, and maybe I'll see if I can ask them if I can watch while they do it. Things like "run the extra wires for the radio extras, like the parking brake wire for the video and the remote USB plug in the glove box" give me the willies :) I've only done a little soldering in my life and botched it pretty well, so I don't think I'd be too keen to try my hand at something like this.

I wound up buying an Eonon GE01, not the M1 (decided I didn't need the screen mirroring functionality of the M1). At least now I know what to buy while waiting for the unit to arrive :) Thanks again!!
2009 base Vibe, silver"
canadave

Post by canadave »

okay...well, since I can't seem to find an installer who'll touch this install, it's looking more and more like I might be forced into taking everyone's advice and doing it myself :? This should be interesting....lol!

I wound up buying an Eonon GE01, not the M1. Very similar specs--the only main difference is the buttons along the bottom of the screen, and the fact the GE01 has no screen mirroring. Here's the GE01 link if anyone cares: http://www.eonon.com/Car-GPS/2-Din-Car- ... /GE01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just have a few questions about this:

1. I know there's a few ways to make wire connections: soldering, crimping, etc. Am I asking for trouble if I don't solder the connections and use some other method instead? If I can use another method other than soldering, what's the best way to make those connections (for reliability)?

2. The photo of the GE01 shows four groups of connections coming out of the radio, basically: a cluster of thin differently coloured wires; another cluster of coloured wires that all go into a black plastic harness (the "ISO port"); a cluster of wires that each end in an RCA white/red/yellow connector; and various spare pieces (the GPS antenna, iPod cable, etc). Let me tackle each of these separately:

-- the cluster of differently coloured wires: these are what connects to the wires in my Pontiac Vibe wiring harness I've ordered, correct? I understand that the colours usually match up; but since this is a Chinese brand unit, I should try to ensure that the proper radio cable (by "function") connects to the proper wiring harness cable...correct? So in other words the "AMP" wire coming out of the radio should go to the "AMP" wire on the harness (I assume there will be one?)

-- The "ISO Port", from what I've just read, seems to be some kind of connector type not used in North American vehicles. The Eonon website lists the wires connected to the ISO Port; they are GND, ACC, Antenna Power+, BATT +12V, Rear Speaker L +/-, Front Speaker L +/-, Front Speaker R +/-, and Rear Speaker R +/-. I'm guessing I have to cut off the black plastic harness that those wires all connect to; but then I assume I have to connect these to something in the Vibe?

-- The RCA connectors. They are labelled things like "AUX Audio Input", "Rear Audio Output", "Subwoofer Out", "Back Sight Video Input", and so on. These look like the type of connections I'd make with a stereo receiver at home. Are there equivalent connections in the Vibe that are used by the factory radio, or am I going to be ignoring most of these connectors and just tying them with a ziptie and keeping them out of the way?

-- The spare parts. This is where I get nervous. I see the GPS antenna is a little puck-like thing. I see where to plug the wire end of it into the Eonon, but then where am I supposed to put the antenna head? :0

3. Okay, moving on :) I'd like to set the unit up so that I can watch DVD's while the car is in Drive (not while driving! I just want to be able to watch something if my wife and I are on a long trip and she's driving). The instructions say that to make that happen, I need to "connect the Brake Shift Control wire to the power negative pole." Huh??? :?: I see the Brake Shift Control Wire, but what the heck is the power negative pole?
2009 base Vibe, silver"
Derf

Post by Derf »

Installing a head unit in a Vibe is much easier than most Vehicles. Easily removed trim panels/hardware and lots of space in the dash. I did not see in your post, do you have a standard radio, or the Monsoon audio package in your Vibe? The Monsoon package has an amp under the front passenger seat and speaker grill in the passenger side of the hatch area.

1. I know there's a few ways to make wire connections: soldering, crimping, etc. Am I asking for trouble if I don't solder the connections and use some other method instead? If I can use another method other than soldering, what's the best way to make those connections (for reliability)?
___Solder is Best, followed by crimping. If you chose to crimp the right tool and quality b-u-t-t splices are key (had to spell it out, forums fowl word filter masked original entry). Having used over a dozen brands of (removed) connectors these provide the highest quality (they metal crimps consistently and holds shape preventing wires from pulling apart)
http://www.parts-express.com/%2822-18%2 ... s--095-250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since you have a pre-connect harness that matches the Vibes factory plug to the Eonon wires, you would not need to solder anything while sitting in the car. You could take your time and sit at a table/workbench and solder the wires together.

2. The photo of the GE01 shows four groups of connections coming out of the radio, basically: a cluster of thin differently coloured wires; another cluster of coloured wires that all go into a black plastic harness (the "ISO port"); a cluster of wires that each end in an RCA white/red/yellow connector; and various spare pieces (the GPS antenna, iPod cable, etc). Let me tackle each of these separately:

-- the cluster of differently coloured wires: these are what connects to the wires in my Pontiac Vibe wiring harness I've ordered, correct? I understand that the colours usually match up; but since this is a Chinese brand unit, I should try to ensure that the proper radio cable (by "function") connects to the proper wiring harness cable...correct? So in other words the "AMP" wire coming out of the radio should go to the "AMP" wire on the harness (I assume there will be one?)
___Match up the wire labels between the add on adapter and the Eonon wiring. The colors are "supposed" to be universal, but many special functions use random colors.

-- The "ISO Port", from what I've just read, seems to be some kind of connector type not used in North American vehicles. The Eonon website lists the wires connected to the ISO Port; they are GND, ACC, Antenna Power+, BATT +12V, Rear Speaker L +/-, Front Speaker L +/-, Front Speaker R +/-, and Rear Speaker R +/-. I'm guessing I have to cut off the black plastic harness that those wires all connect to; but then I assume I have to connect these to something in the Vibe?
___Correct, will need to cut off the connector. The wires from the ISO port will then need matched to the Ebay wiring harness adapter.

-- The RCA connectors. They are labelled things like "AUX Audio Input", "Rear Audio Output", "Subwoofer Out", "Back Sight Video Input", and so on. These look like the type of connections I'd make with a stereo receiver at home. Are there equivalent connections in the Vibe that are used by the factory radio, or am I going to be ignoring most of these connectors and just tying them with a ziptie and keeping them out of the way?
___This is were if you have a Monsoon audio package, you could use the RCA connections. Yes, they work just like a home receiver, sending or receiving signal from other devices. In the case of a Monsoon audio package, you would use them to send signal to the Monsoon amplifier, rather than using the speaker leads from the "ISO plug". If you do not have a Monsoon package, you will just bundle and tuck them out of the way, unless you decide to add a rearview camera. IF you have a Monsoon package reply for the revised method of hooking up the Eonon.

-- The spare parts. This is where I get nervous. I see the GPS antenna is a little puck-like thing. I see where to plug the wire end of it into the Eonon, but then where am I supposed to put the antenna head? :0
___The Vibe has a lot of dash space, you can get creative. If it is long enough you could run the antenna from the top of the driver side dash. Carefully remove the "A" pillar plastic, this will open up a hole that runs directly under the dash. You can use this hole to run the GPS wire for the head unit. Make sure to tie up the wire so it does not get caught in the steering wheel of pedal mechanisms. Links that might help you explore the Vibes interior parts:
Radio and audio system removal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOGgu6NbOnA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A" pillar and wiring (around the 0:28 and 2:37 mark you will see the wire go down beside the dash) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOGgu6NbOnA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3. Okay, moving on :) I'd like to set the unit up so that I can watch DVD's while the car is in Drive (not while driving! I just want to be able to watch something if my wife and I are on a long trip and she's driving). The instructions say that to make that happen, I need to "connect the Brake Shift Control wire to the power negative pole." Huh??? :?: I see the Brake Shift Control Wire, but what the heck is the power negative pole?
___Other term for ground (-). Hooking up that wire to ground will allow the video to turn on. Details on the parking brake switch in a Vibe:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=41913&p=489169&hil ... re#p489169" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It has been my experience, while the vehicle is in motion, by human nature the driver gets curious and keeps looking over at the screen.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
canadave

Post by canadave »

Thanks so much (again)! No, I don't have the Monsoon package, just the standard radio.

Just a quick followup--in terms of wire matching, you said to match up the "wire labels". I assume that means the labels of what each wire is, will be printed on the wires themselves (the wires coming out of the Eonon as well as the harness adapter wires)?

I'm beginning to think I might actually be able to do this and NOT completely break the car in half :) Thanks to your info!
2009 base Vibe, silver"
trb

Post by trb »

canadave wrote:Just a quick followup--in terms of wire matching, you said to match up the "wire labels". I assume that means the labels of what each wire is, will be printed on the wires themselves (the wires coming out of the Eonon as well as the harness adapter wires)?

I'm beginning to think I might actually be able to do this and NOT completely break the car in half :) Thanks to your info!
LOL! We have confidence in your abilities! I doubt you will break the car in half!

In the pic I found, most of the individual wires do have labels, but not the ISO plug wires. You have to go by the diagram showing the plug end to identify each wire. I would label each wire with a piece of tape before you cut off the end, so you know what each wire is for. And the ebay harness will not have labels so you will have to go by the wire colors to ID them according to the wiring chart that is provided with it.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
canadave

Post by canadave »

trb wrote:
canadave wrote:Just a quick followup--in terms of wire matching, you said to match up the "wire labels". I assume that means the labels of what each wire is, will be printed on the wires themselves (the wires coming out of the Eonon as well as the harness adapter wires)?

LOL! We have confidence in your abilities! I doubt you will break the car in half!
You've never seen me try to do anything car-related ;) You've more confidence in my abilities than I do! But we'll see what we can do.
In the pic I found, most of the individual wires do have labels, but not the ISO plug wires. You have to go by the diagram showing the plug end to identify each wire. I would label each wire with a piece of tape before you cut off the end, so you know what each wire is for. And the ebay harness will not have labels so you will have to go by the wire colors to ID them according to the wiring chart that is provided with it.
Strangely, I actually understand that! I don't know if I would have, about a week ago. Thanks!!
2009 base Vibe, silver"
trb

Post by trb »

canadave wrote:You've never seen me try to do anything car-related ;) You've more confidence in my abilities than I do! But we'll see what we can do.
Well, you are asking the right questions, at the right place. That is a lot to give you credit for! Reading the instructions is also a very important step. We've all been in the same position. I started working on my car back when I was 16, and it was a stereo I worked on. I'll be rebuilding a motor soon, with the help of a friend. People now are lucky since we have the internet. All I had was printed instructions and Chilton's and Haynes books on my car to help me learn how to do things.
canadave wrote:
Strangely, I actually understand that! I don't know if I would have, about a week ago. Thanks!!
See what I mean! You are learning. :D
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

As someone who lacks confidence in his abilities (and often feeling defeated before ever starting,) I'll say you've got this. ;) Lots of good folks here that can help who know their stuff.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
canadave

Post by canadave »

Thanks all :) I appreciate the votes of confidence. The wife and I are definitely going to try to tackle this once everything arrives (hopefully by next weekend).

One question--(removed) connectors were mentioned earlier. I was also looking at using crimp caps. Is there any particular advantage in using one rather than the other?
2009 base Vibe, silver"
trb

Post by trb »

They both do the same job, connecting two wires. But connectors can be wrapped in tape easier, but it looks like twisting the wires together on the caps would make a better connection though.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
canadave

Post by canadave »

I like the idea of twisting the wires together too. Crimp caps it'll be. Now just gotta find a supplier out here in the middle of nowhere :)
2009 base Vibe, silver"
Raven

Post by Raven »

I usually solder all connections and cover them with shrink tubing. Perfect conductivity and no chance of shorts or anything coming loose.

To each his own and whatever you are comfortable with.
canadave

Post by canadave »

OK, so, the Eonon arrived, and as I suspected, it fits perfectly in the Vibe's radio opening vertically, but is a little more than an inch short horizontally--meaning there'll be about a half-inch gap on each side of the radio once it's installed. I've yet to receive my third-party dash kit in the mail, but if the dash kit that came with the Eonon unit is any indication, the dash kit won't be enough to cover those left and right gaps.

Any ideas on how to tackle this and seal those gaps trim-wise, without making it look like I took a hacksaw to it? :)
2009 base Vibe, silver"
trb

Post by trb »

If it is a true double DIN, I would not worry about it fitting. Here is a pic of my son's radio, and it fit just fine. You can see how the black filler piece from the Metra dash kit is wider on the sides vs the top and bottom:

Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
canadave

Post by canadave »

Hmmm....interesting, thanks. The GE01 page says the install size is 178mm (double DIN is 180mm), but the panel size is 169mm...? Guess I'll have to just see when the rest of the kit arrives :)
2009 base Vibe, silver"
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Did you ever get your Eonon installed?

I bought a Milion radio off ebay (which I believe is just a rebranded Eonon, because the ebay seller was Eonon and all the support pages point to Eonon). I've got mine installed, but as reported, the bezel piece from the dash kit doesn't fit around the radio, because of the oversized face. I also had to take a dremel to the mounting brackets in order to raise the radio a few millimeters. I'm planning to have a filler panel laser cut or 3D printed to fill in the gaps around the radio, but other than that I'm happy with it in my car.

Its not the greatest picture (too much glare), but this is what mine looks like installed. The radio is a Milion D2105. I need to slightly tweak the mounting position, but I'm going to wait to crack it open again until I decide what I'm going to do about the gaps.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
canadave

Post by canadave »

Hi Josh, sorry for not having seen your question a couple months ago. Coincidentally enough, that's when the snowpocalypse hit my area of Nova Scotia, and we've basically been digging out from snow since then :)

Because of all the snow and just trying to survive the winter, I haven't had a chance to tackle the Eonon installation. On the positive side, it's enabled me to hone my soldering skills on some things at work, so I may have a little more chance of doing the installation successfully, once it warms up enough for me to want to tackle it.

I'm very concerned about the bezel non-fit issue, and the need to dremel things. I don't own a dremel, and have never used one. I'm hoping the fit will be close enough where that won't be necessary. Just need the weather to improve a little to find out!
2009 base Vibe, silver"
canadave

Post by canadave »

So, weather finally warmed up enough to attempt this install, and I've hit a brick wall. Very frustrated right now.

I got all the soldering done, harness connected, and got the stock radio out of the dashboard. That turned out to be the easy parts (given my trepidation from a few months ago about soldering and harnessing things up). But now, I cannot for the life of me see how to mount the new radio in the dash.

**** EDIT ******

OK, I'm officially a moron :) Didn't realize that I need to use the mounting brackets from the dash kit, rather than reusing the stock brackets.

So I got the radio in, with a LOT of difficulty, but it's installed. I'm not a huge fan of this Eonon already. The touchscreen is "touchy"--it wasn't working at all, then I played around with the DVD Player function as someone suggested online, then recalibrated the touchscreen, and now it's *sort of* working.

One thing I can't figure out--when I go to watch a DVD, I hear audio from the DVD, but all that I see on the screen is "Warning: Please do not watch a DVD while driving!" I have the car in Park, and engine off, so I'm not sure why it's not playing video.
2009 base Vibe, silver"
canadave

Post by canadave »

So, just want to report back on how things went.

The Eonon stopped working properly about an hour after I got it installed. The touchscreen would not respond properly. After days of back and forth with Eonon tech support, who don't speak proper English, they instructed me to try a firmware update on the unit, which had no effect. When I explained this to them, they said I could return it for a replacement unit (not even a new unit) under warranty, for $70 USD. Actually, it was $140 USD, but "since you're such a good customer", they said I could do it for $70.

I'm debating whether to even do this or not. Yes, I am indeed an idiot for trying to save some bucks by buying the Eonon in the first place, I see that clearly now. Do I throw good money after bad? I'm hesitant. Some people seem to have no problems with their Eonons. Others seem to have all kinds of problems, and even after they're fixed, the units break again eventually.

So I'm looking at another unit--a Jensen VX7020. This one at least has a lot of fairly decent reviews on Amazon. I just want a nav unit that won't break the bank, and will last a few years...don't need tons of fancy bells and whistles. So I may just get this one instead...
2009 base Vibe, silver"
triz

Post by triz »

Have you searched Crutchfield? Service is top notch and a little while back they had a Clarion DVD/Nav unit for somewhere around 3-400 iirc. I thought about picking that up to replace my Pioneer D2 unless I send this one out for repair.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
canadave

Post by canadave »

Yep, I have. Unfortunately Crutchfield isn't such a great deal for us Canadians (not their fault--most places that have a presence in the USA and Canada are much more expensive here). The cheapest unit they have is a Boss nav unit for $499.
2009 base Vibe, silver"
canadave

Post by canadave »

Okay, maybe I spoke too soon. I think the touchscreen issues I was experiencing were due to having iGo Primo 2.4 installed on the Eonon (which I did myself). I deleted Primo 2.4 off the SD card, and changed it to Primo 2, and that seems to be working much better. No problems so far with the touchscreen, or anything else for that matter.

I do wish there was a way to get it more flush into the dash. It sticks WAY out--I mean, way WAY out. I tried moving it back in, but the brackets don't attach far enough forward on the unit to allow it to move back too much, and more importantly there's that metal cross bar--which means I can only move the unit back so far before it hits this crossbar. Even if I could bracket it in at that point, it'd still stick out a bit. Plus, since the Eonon has a tilting screen, the aperture where the radio fits in requires that there be a certain amount of clearance for the screen to move. I'll post a pic of what I mean later on if I get a chance.
2009 base Vibe, silver"
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

Please post a pic of this!
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330