Interior Lighting Replacements / Improvements

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
trevg

Interior Lighting Replacements / Improvements

Post by trevg »

Hi all, I thought I'd share my to-do list and findings on how to replace the HUGE amounts of burned out lights on my 2004 Vibe base (it's seen a lot of night hours.) Maybe someone else could benefit too :D

Replace the backlights on the radio display and the buttons. Instructions on how to do this: viewtopic.php?t=26889" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bulbs found at:
http://www.corvetteradios.com/corvetteradios_013.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Replace the bulbs behind the thermostat/ HVAC controls as shown here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37556&p=420080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I will probably go with the LED lghts found here (3mm white) instead of those shown in the post to save some cash and the headache of replacing them in the future. https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... l-led/221/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not sure about if those will be too bright, or if the angle will be wide enough. Anyone have any experience/Insight to share?

Replace the backlights behind the A/C, recirculation, hazard, and rear defogger buttons: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15510&p=171124" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I will probably just get LEDs and resistors from Radio Shack in whatever color suits me.

Install lighting in the footbox (sorry if that isn't the right terminology) for when I open the door. This is a maybe, I'd prefer to have it on its own fuse but have it controlled the same as the dome light as far as when it is off or on. Anybody have any tips? Relays and LED bars should be easy enough to work with. Maybe I could use tricolor bars and install LEDs in some other places too and use a chip and transistor module connected to an auxilary port to change the color... That's out of hand but who wouldn't love something that looks like a new Ford Focus.

Maybe doing something like this to my window switches viewtopic.php?f=29&t=41380&p=486036" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; again only if I can make sure that nothing else would be overloaded.

A light inside the consol, probably just with a SPST switch and a few LEDs. Shouldn't be too hard.

Let me know what you think! I'll try to update this post as I get stuff done, I know I can't be the only one irritated when only half my dashboard is lit :x Any tips or feedback are welcome.
Derf

Re: Interior Lighting Replacements / Improvements

Post by Derf »

Link to several lighting ideas throughout the Vibe:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40549#p492051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
trevg

Re: Interior Lighting Replacements / Improvements

Post by trevg »

Derf wrote:Link to several lighting ideas throughout the Vibe:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40549#p492051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Awesome! Thanks for sharing, you did a really nice job on your vibe. Definitely makes me a little more ambitious :D