Rear Speaker issue

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
NeverTwoOld

Rear Speaker issue

Post by NeverTwoOld »

I just ordered 4 Kicker 40CS674 6-3/4" 2-way Speakers from Crutchfield for an '06 Vibe. Front speakers fit just fine after trimming the unnecessary tabs off the supplied mounting brackets, however, the rears are another issue entirely. No matter which way I adjust the mounting bracket I can't get 2 of the holes to line up let alone all three. The rears are 5.75 and Crutchfield says that the supplied mounting bracket is the only one available so I'm at a loss seeking advice form those who have upgraded the rears on this or a similar model. I'm ok with modifying the bracket if needed and drilling new mounting holes but I'd rather not if possible. I can return the rears kickers to Crutchfield if there is a better alternative out there.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Raven

Re: Rear Speaker issue

Post by Raven »

Are the stock rear speakers 5 3/4"?. 6 3/4" are specified for the front and rear. I'll be ordering the same speakers for our '06 which my daughter drives for her Christmas present.

Any problem drilling out the rivets on the old speakers?
NeverTwoOld

Post by NeverTwoOld »

Stock are 5.75 but supposedly the 6.5 or 6.75 will fit with an adapter. My problem is that the adapter ring just doesn't fit the back panel. No issues drilling rivets at all just use the recommended bit.
Raven

Post by Raven »

I'd go ahead and drill new holes if that's the only issue. Are you using the stock head unit?
Post a sound quality report when you're done please.
NeverTwoOld

Post by NeverTwoOld »

The stock (non-monsoon) headunit was replaced about a year ago to a Kenwood Excelon - I don't have the model number handy. The front speakers are noticeably cleaner and are a definite upgrade over stock. I will dig around some more to see if anyone offers a different adapter ring for the rears before I go drilling new holes but will go ahead with it if it's the only way.