2010 Vibe Speaker Upgrade DIY Install

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
MaSlade

2010 Vibe Speaker Upgrade DIY Install

Post by MaSlade »

Hey guys,

I finally got around to upgrading all 4 of my speakers for the non-monsoon system. :D

The upgrade helped in quieting unwanted bass and increased sound clarity tenfold. Basically, stuff sounds better! :lol:

I purchased 2 sets of Pioneer speakers for the front and back:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TA1675R ... 1675R.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Each set from Crutchfield came with:

1. The correct speaker mounting bracket (Scosche SAC-656 - http://tinyurl.com/lgovjd6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

2. The correct connector (Metra 71-035LC - http://tinyurl.com/mty7n3d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Removing the door panels and the entire installation were a fairly simple process. With a light hand and some patience, things will go in your favor.

All door panel removal are the same so the steps apply for each door.

Hopefully this little write-up gives you all some confidence in tackling this project.

*Please do not hold me responsible for anything harmful, yet rare, that occurs to your vehicle during this installation. What may work for me might not work for you, so please proceed at your own risk*

Let’s Begin,

**First off, disconnect the negative to the battery. Well, I didn’t disconnect it, but it’s common practice to do so whenever working with anything electrical.**

-This is what we’re working with.

-The first trim piece to remove is found behind the door latch. If you pull the door latch all the way out, there’s a little gap you can wedge a flathead screwdriver or a wedge tool into. The clips are all very sturdy, so you can pop that sucker out without fear of breaking it. This reveals a screw to remove.

-Next is the handle trim surrounding the window switch. First I inserted a pry tool/flathead screwdriver to create enough of a gap. Carefully pry the skinniest part upwards (1) and it will release the rest of the clips as you lift. After the clips are released, slide the piece out (2). Unplug the switch for the window and set trim piece aside.

-The only screws that need to be removed are the black screw behind the latch and the larger silver screws circled in yellow. The smaller screws circled in blue do not need to be removed.

-Here’s the sneakiest of the screws! I almost cracked my door panel in half without taking this guy out. Be sure to remove this! Once removed, you can finally remove the door panel.

-Underneath the door panel, there are two notches that you can slide your fingers underneath to pop the door panel out. Slide your fingers to the right/left until you feel resistance and carefully pull the door panel towards you to release the clips. Work around the door and it should easily come off once the clips are released. I broke one clip, but luckily I had extras from my old Corolla (different style, but fits just fine!)

-Ta-da! Now the real work can begin. I recommend removing the door latch from the cables for an easier removal of the plastic if sound proofing. The handle is easy to remove, just find where the cables connect to. Just remember, Green cable on the top, White cable on the bottom.

-If you are sound-proofing the door, the blue plastic needs to be removed. If not, continue without this step. Carefully peel the plastic off without stretching it too much. The sticky adhesive is good enough to reuse, so no extra adhesive is needed. To make things easier without cutting the plastic, unplug this connection circled in yellow (I believe it’s the plug for the window motor, I’m not too sure) to remove the plastic.

**Once off, you can continue with the speaker removal/install. You can do like me and install some "sound-proofing material". Except I didn't have true sound-proofing material. I just had some Rustoleum undercoating from a previous DIY. If you do this, just be careful you do not spray the mechanical window parts directly, or spray when your windows are down. You will end up spraying your window if your windows are down. Be smart, take it slow, and be careful.**

-Here’s your dainty paper speaker! Looks like someone pushed it a little inwards at the center there... but who cares?! The speaker is riveted at three points and are easy to remove with a drill. I pretty much just found a random drill bit lying around that was bigger than the rivet center and drilled on through. The rivet should fall through, or if it gets stuck, you can wedge it out with pliers. If it does fall through, you can reach in and get it out afterwards.

-Here’s your hole. That’s what she said.

-This is the gigantic mess I ended up with. Again, if using undercoating, be sure to stay away from mechanical window parts and make sure your window is fully up before spraying.
*Note* If going this route, please make sure you find a coating that is water proof/rubberized, and does not have asphalt, because water does flow through the inside of the door.

**I went this route because I’m poor, and surprisingly, it actually helps against outside noises beyond the door. I only have a few thin layers of undercoating to deal with and I at least now have the confidence to remove the door panel once again if I can ever afford proper soundproofing. The only thing that stinks is that it… well, stinks. Leave the window down during drying time and do not spray again (because your window is down!) Once dried (2-3 hours), you can move on. Of course, I didn’t have the patience, so I continued on when it was still a little wet (shame shame).**

-Spaceships on a mission for better audio!

-The adapter fits… somewhat. The top two screws in green go in perfectly, but after talking to a rep at Crutchfield, they told me that I needed to re-drill the final hole. I don’t like that kind of commitment, so I just used 3M double-sided outdoor tape underneath the bottom hole in red. This cushions the bracket to prevent rattle from the plastic against the metal and it even holds a nice grip. After installing, plug in the speaker wire and replace the blue plastic.

-Push the blue plastic back onto the door and the adhesive should stick once more. Make sure all appropriate wires are through the plastic, etc. etc. If you removed the door latch, remember that you must re-install the door latch before replacing the door panel or else you’re going to have a bad time removing the panel again. Green on the top, White on the bottom. Once everything is properly in its place, you can reinstall the door panel. Just line up the top clips first and everything else finds its way back in order. Install the trim pieces in reverse order and voila, all done!

Hopefully this helps you all out and gives you the confidence to remove your door panels whenever you feel like it. Now you can access the window/door latch/speaker components if you need to.

Take it easy :P

Slade
Last edited by MaSlade on Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XRVibe10

Re: 2010 Vibe speaker upgrade

Post by XRVibe10 »

I'm in the same boat as you with the speakers - I just purchased my new head unit (pioneer AVH-X3500BHS) - Here is a link to the faceplate adapter (mine just came in today!) - http://www.metraonline.com/part/95-8224" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - I've seen a few posts on here you may have to trim the bracket parts slightly to get it to fit in nice but should be no biggie :D
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

XRVibe10 wrote:I'm in the same boat as you with the speakers - I just purchased my new head unit (pioneer AVH-X3500BHS) - Here is a link to the faceplate adapter (mine just came in today!) - http://www.metraonline.com/part/95-8224" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - I've seen a few posts on here you may have to trim the bracket parts slightly to get it to fit in nice but should be no biggie :D
This is perfect! I had no idea where to start with an audio upgrade. Thanks for the links; it'll definitely help me out.

That head unit looks great and it's a decent price for what's featured. Might have to look into that.
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

UPDATE 4/23/2014

Hey Vibe family,

I love write-ups. I love you.

Here's a preview of what my next upgrade is. Has a write-up been done before? Haven't seen it on the forums for the 2009+. Feel free to let me know and I'll post pictures and a DIY write-up.

Purchased 2 sets of Pioneer TS-A1675R 3-way speakers from crutchfield.com *note* The adapters that were sent are for GM/Jeep. I verified that they are the same ones that go into the Matrix and unfortunately, the holes don't line up without a little fabrication. I like working with what I have, so I'm drilling the holes. If you have a better alternative, feel free to share!

Here's the stock paper speaker

The 3-way Pioneer's looking dashingly

On another note: I only have one more class before I graduate with my B.S.! Definitely would give me more time (and hopefully a new job with more money) to spend with my (family) Vibe!

Take it easy guys.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I guess I saw this post too late late. I was going to mention Polks. I love em. I had a pair of Pioneer 4 way 6X9s years ago in my 82 Regal....they sounded GREAT ! If you can, deaden your doors. You wont regret it. Much better bass response & a quieter interior :D
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I probably have those same speakers for the fronts. I'm interested in doing the rear speakers and using them for bass output as well, unless I can figure out a way to install a sub somewhere it won't prevent me from hauling BMW fuel tanks.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

cptnsolo77 wrote:I guess I saw this post too late late. I was going to mention Polks. I love em. I had a pair of Pioneer 4 way 6X9s years ago in my 82 Regal....they sounded GREAT ! If you can, deaden your doors. You wont regret it. Much better bass response & a quieter interior :D
It's all good! I've had my eye on these since I'm planning for a pioneer double din head sometime in the future. I finished installing the rears and they sound incredibly clearer.

What would you recommend for sound dampening? I've searched around and went with rubberized coating. It's a noticeable difference in the back seat with 3 coats, but I'm confident enough to pry off my door panels if you know of a great peel and stick for a good price :)
lannvouivre wrote:I probably have those same speakers for the fronts. I'm interested in doing the rear speakers and using them for bass output as well, unless I can figure out a way to install a sub somewhere it won't prevent me from hauling BMW fuel tanks.
Awesome. I don't know much about audio upgrades but I'm pretty savvy with wiring. Let me know more about a sub if you do end up getting one :)
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Those speakers look great and should sound great also. First off .... continue to hit the books and make the grades so that you can graduate soon. Congrats on that accomplishment ;) Secondly, as an owner of TWO 2009 Vibe GT's we will likely be doing some audio upgrades to Juniors Vibe this summer and would like to see a nice write up with pics of this upgrade when you perform it. Specifically where you may need to enlarge openings and/or make any necessary physical changes to the car in order for the newer equipment to fit. Good luck and keep us all posted!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

tpollauf wrote:Those speakers look great and should sound great also. First off .... continue to hit the books and make the grades so that you can graduate soon. Congrats on that accomplishment ;) Secondly, as an owner of TWO 2009 Vibe GT's we will likely be doing some audio upgrades to Juniors Vibe this summer and would like to see a nice write up with pics of this upgrade when you perform it. Specifically where you may need to enlarge openings and/or make any necessary physical changes to the car in order for the newer equipment to fit. Good luck and keep us all posted!
Yes and yes! The degree is right around the corner with one more month to go :)

Write-up has been created for 6-1/2" speakers. Edited first comment to provide easier access to install portion!

Good luck!