Extended Warranty Worth It?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
87iroc

Extended Warranty Worth It?

Post by 87iroc »

I know these cars haven't been out for very long, but in an effort to stave off working on this Vibe for a few years, the wife and I are thinking of purchasing an extended Warranty. The quote I have is for a 6 yr/100k mile bumper to bumper warranty and they want ~1300 for it. I know these cars are based on the Corolla, but wasn't sure if anyone knew of any major issues that have occurred with that platform.My theory in rethinking this is that 1300 buys a transmission or about half an engine should something that major go wrong with it in 100k miles...but other than that, I can't think of anything that would go wrong that would cause major $$ expenditure. I do most work on cars myself...providing I can figure out what's wrong.FWIW: I expect the wife to have 100k on it in about 4 years. She drives 2500 miles/month+Thanks for any insight...
GregF04 Vibe
cibomatto

Re: Extended Warranty Worth It? (87iroc)

Post by cibomatto »

I would jump at it.. Coverage for up to 100k equals peace of mind for 100k. I have own 3 cars so far and all of them needed some major transmission overhaul at around 60-70k miles.. Each roughly about $2-3k
Salsa (2-tone) Base Automatic Vibe with Moontune package
Kari

Re: Extended Warranty Worth It? (cibomatto)

Post by Kari »

I have the extended warranty as well. My parents bought it for me.
GenVibe Global Moderator
msmyer

Re: Extended Warranty Worth It? (Kari)

Post by msmyer »

Quote, originally posted by Kari »I have the extended warranty as well. me too!!!
‘03 Vibe with 317k and still going.............................

Other Mods: Sony X-Plod Headunit & Reflective White GVC decalMy Car at Cardomain.com... http://www.cardomain.com/id/msmyer
cibomatto

Re: Extended Warranty Worth It? (Kari)

Post by cibomatto »

the more I think about it I can't really think of a reason not to get an additional warranty... take a look at the edmunds.com forums see if that helps you form your own decision and ofcourse come back here
Salsa (2-tone) Base Automatic Vibe with Moontune package
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I didn't get one. I'm hoping that "toyota reliability" is more than a sales pitch, and couldn't spare the warranty cost.Would get you peace of mind though. Do they include an extension of the 1800ROADSID service? I'll probably sign up with AAA when my warranty runs out, which will probably be about the end of January. At least then I can scrape the ROADSID sticker off the window.
huy397

Re: Extended Warranty Worth It? (joatmon)

Post by huy397 »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »I didn't get one. I'm hoping that "toyota reliability" is more than a sales pitch, and couldn't spare the warranty cost.Would get you peace of mind though. Do they include an extension of the 1800ROADSID service? I'll probably sign up with AAA when my warranty runs out, which will probably be about the end of January. At least then I can scrape the ROADSID sticker off the window. I have 6 year/100K ( km though ) extended warranty too, my last car gave me a lot of grief 'cause it was old. Now that I can afford something good, I want to make sure I get enjoy every bit of this car. As I was told, I do get 6 years worth of road-side assistance.I suppose AAA/CAA would probably work out better, since it's not car specific but person specific.We have two cars in my family but only one CAA membership, hehe.100K miles warranty is super nice!
Car: 2003 Two tone Base Frosty Vibe, Automatic, Safety & Security Package, Power Package and 16" alloys with 16" Blizzaks for winterNavigation: HP iPAQ 2210 + LeadTek 9537 BT GPS + iGuidance V2.1.1 + German-D mount.http://www.howardforums.comYour Mobile Phone Community & Resource
CMcGowan

Re: Extended Warranty Worth It? (Salsa!)

Post by CMcGowan »

I have had quite a few new cars over the years, some with extended warrenties, some without. Currently on the Vibe, I opped out from getting one. My reasons, first Toyota quality of the major stuff (engine/tranny), my family is expanding and one of our 2 cars will need to be "up sized" in the next 2 -3 years and the other car does have the warranty, my last 2 vechiles that had the warranty I didn't use it (both went over 75K), and the fine print kills you (doesn't cover what you think, detuctables, authorization crap, limited shops to service, etc). As far as road side assistance, you kind find better and cheaper coverage then the extended warranty would offer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------2003 Pontiac VIBE AWD Mono-Tone Neptune - GONE "Drive It Like You Stole It!"
Reynoma

Re: Extended Warranty Worth It? (CMcGowan)

Post by Reynoma »

The last car I purchased an extended warranty for (Honda Prelude) I never used it. Since the Vibe is a Toyota, I decided not to get any extended warranty. If it were a pure "american" car, then I would have considered it. My opinion: take the $1,300 and put it in the bank to keep for repairs.
Philippians 2:11
pmh013

Post by pmh013 »

When I purchased, I didn't get the extended warranty. I had a major flaw in my car, which was resolved during the warranty period. To compensate me for all the hassle that GM inflicted on me, I received complementary extended warranty. I'm glad I have it now, but it only covers mechanical stuff, not body panels and the like. And, it does include roadside. As stated above, I will also get a CAA membership when my extended warranty expires. I drive a lot of miles per year, so I *should* have gotten the extended, but I cheaped out, thinking "what could go wrong?" Live & learn.
2003 Satellite AWD Two Tone, traded off at 180,126 kmNow the (fourth) catalytic converter is someone else's problem Now driving a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan
ken

Re: (pmh013)

Post by ken »

what Reynoma said! the main reason i bought the vibe was for the toyota reliability in it. the second was the accumulated gm card rebates. if wasn't for the vibe i would have had to dump my gm card rebates....or maybe get a left over prizm (corolla). my other vehicle is a toyota 4runner, going on 200K and not a puff of smoke. to sum it up, chances are you won't need the warranty; but get it if it makes you feel good
michaelgt

Post by michaelgt »

The only vehicle (out of 11) that I bought a extended warranty for is my Yukon XL. I bought it because I spent almost $1000 on repairs to my previous Suburban before 75k miles. Placing $1300 in a separate bank account might make better sense with the Vibe. Also, is that a GM warranty, or another company. Some extended warranty companies have filed bakruptcy in the past few years, and the policy is now worthless. Just something to think about!
87iroc

Post by 87iroc »

Thanks for the information. I'll have to discuss the pros and cons with the wife...This warranty is through Continental...they have been around for a long time I think. Hopefully they won't file bankruptcy anytime soon!
GregF04 Vibe
ken

Re: (87iroc)

Post by ken »

My problem was how do you not get the warranty. I got very upset when I tried a million times to turn down the warranty and they kept pushing it on me. That was the only bad part of the sale. Service is another story. Did I mention my dealer sux Here's an interesting read on extended warranty..."The rip-off room".http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/1...x.htm
JayC

Post by JayC »

In general, I would say that Extended Warranty is not worth it. The dealer pushes the Extended Warranty so hard because they are sooooo profitable. Dealer and warranty companies make a killing selling extended warranties.I used to work as salesmen for electronics retailer (TV, computers, audio,etc) years ago. We had to sell warranties to keep our job. For every dollar of warranty sold, the salesperson gets 20%, store gets 30%, and 50% goes to the warranty company. Of the 50% only about 10-20% is used to cover the warranty repairs. It is widely known in the industry that Circuit City would loose money every year if the Extended Warranty profits are taken away from the profit and loss statements. That's why they keep asking/telling you to buy the warranty even after you say NO. They are trained to get at least three NO's out of you before giving up. The fact is that even the very top salesperson will get fired if he/she doesn't sell warranty on a certain percentage of the sale.Auto warranty is not any different.Only time I bought extended warranty on an automobile was on Honda Odyssey minivan with power sliding doors. There was a dealer in Kentucky selling the 7year/75000mile 0 deductable Honda warranty for $655 dollars (local dealer wanted around $2000). It comes with road side warranty for entire 7 years, so I cancelled the AAA, which helped pay about $300. I probably would not have gotten it, if cancelling AAA would not helped pay part of the cost.Take the money and put it into 3 year CD (factory warranty period), buy US savings bond, or any other long term guaranteed investment . If you do that for every car you purchase, chances are very high that you will come out WAY ahead.
87iroc

Post by 87iroc »

Well guys/gals, I have decided to go ahead with the warranty...buttttt, I discoverred a little published option...Continental Warranty, for an additional 150 bucks, offers a 'money back if you don't use it' clause. I paid 150 extra bucks and if I don't use it, they will give us the original 1300 back!This is the only way, in good conscience, I was going to keep the warranty. Now I just gotta pay for it.
GregF04 Vibe
pmh013

Post by pmh013 »

Quote, originally posted by 87iroc »I paid 150 extra bucks and if I don't use it, they will give us the original 1300 back!That seems like a totally reasonable, awesome deal. Way to do your homework!
2003 Satellite AWD Two Tone, traded off at 180,126 kmNow the (fourth) catalytic converter is someone else's problem Now driving a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan
Vibe Rater

Post by Vibe Rater »

Quote, originally posted by 87iroc »I paid 150 extra bucks and if I don't use it, they will give us the original 1300 back! You have cake and you're eating it too.IMO, if your car is loaded with options and toys and is an AWD or any other extras, the extended warranty is an option to consider. Otherwise, leave it on the salesman's desk. Another thing to consider about the 'money back' option is, if you had invested that $1300 bones for the duration of the warranty, how much would it then be worth? Whatever makes you feel fuzzy and warm inside is usually the right thing to do I guess.
Stang2Vibe

Re: (Vibe Rater)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

I bought the extended warranty because of the high tech engine and I know my natural propensity to have expensive damage happen to my cars. This has been the case so far for almost every car I've owned. The only car I purchased an extended warranty on before (my 94 Grand Prix) turned out to be a good investment. I used every penny of what I put into the warranty and then a little more. My warranty, purchased when I bought the car, is GM's EasyCare. It is for 5 years or 60,000 miles with $0 deductible and cost about $1000. Since I bought the warranty at the time of purchase, it was elegible to be included in the 0% interest loan I got. However, to keep monthly payments lower, I opted to pay this out of pocket. For the record, my salesman never mentioned anything about warranty coverage, it was the woman who was taking care of all the paperwork that handles the warranty sales and information.My warranty includes coverage identical to the original warranty that comes standard with the car. It also extends roadside assistance coverage, and best of all, adds a clause that states that I am entitled to the use of a loaner vehicle should my car require any service under warranty coverage that will take 2 hours or more to complete. If I sell or trade in the car before the extended warranty expires, I can separately negotiate the transfer of the warranty or get a prorated refund. So if I got rid of the car before the extended warranty period began, I would get a full refund of the extended warranty cost. I think it was a wise purchase, and with the way things are going so far, I think I will probably use at least the cost of the warranty in covered repairs. You do have to be careful with purchasing non-manufacturer extended warranties because some of them are really a rip-off.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
AKLGT

Re: (Stang2Vibe)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Stang2Vibe »For the record, my salesman never mentioned anything about warranty coverage, it was the woman who was taking care of all the paperwork that handles the warranty sales and information.actually, the salesman has nothing to do with warranties, gap insurance, credit/life/disability insurance or any other financial add on. the finance guy (person doing the paperwork) makes his commission off of doing your paperwork and selling you any other financial products. getting the undercoating or wintering of your vibe that cost $400 puts $200 in his pocket. getting credit/life/disability insurance also adds money in his pocket as does any extended warranty. most people do not realize they can negotiate those prices as well. when i bought my tundra a few years ago, the finance manager was married to a friend of mine. he was told he could not make any money off the add-ons and so gave me my extended warranty for cost, $650!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Stang2Vibe

Re: (trdvibe)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Yes, I'm aware of things like this. My mom got a discount on her warranty just because the person selling it to her lived in the same area that we did. They said that they usually give a discount to anyone who buys a warranty from them that has the same zip code that they do. Go figure?
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
87iroc

Re: (trdvibe)

Post by 87iroc »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »actually, the salesman has nothing to do with warranties, gap insurance, credit/life/disability insurance or any other financial add on. the finance guy (person doing the paperwork) makes his commission off of doing your paperwork and selling you any other financial products. getting the undercoating or wintering of your vibe that cost $400 puts $200 in his pocket. getting credit/life/disability insurance also adds money in his pocket as does any extended warranty. most people do not realize they can negotiate those prices as well. Yah, ithe finance guy pissed me off when we were signing the papers. I was about ready to walk out. He was miffed that we didn't want his 1500 dollar extended warranty(he claimed last time we bought a car there was no room to haggle)...
GregF04 Vibe
red

Post by red »

i got mine for free....(well not really...i used the extra gm card bonus bucks to buy one)...as expensive as some of those toyota/gm parts are and at $83.00 per hour labor here in town right now i figured sure go for it...but i was p/o'd when the finance guy said my extended bumper to bumper would cover struts and come to find out it doesnt....i am thinking about cancelling it after he "misinformed" me but i didnt..still have gotten any info from gm on this extra coverage, the receptionist/appointment personnel said i should be getting a card or something !
stkos79

Post by stkos79 »

from a service stand point its worth the moneyonly if you get a good one like gmpp with 0 dectbut ya being mosty toyota i dont think ill need itlook at it this way if you don use it (gmpp) most of its return if you trade the car in
Craigmri

Wasting your money

Post by Craigmri »

I'm in the service business and lets be totally honest here. Service contracts or Maintenance agreements are profit centers for companies.Dont think for one minute Continental or any other warranty outfit is offering warranties out of the goodness of their heart! They're no dummies. They know that the majority of their contracts will not need much if any repair claims. They have it down to a science. Unless your living hand to mouth and couldnt afford a repair years down the road and adding $10/ month to your car payment offers peace of mind so be it but if your looking to come out ahead DONT opt for the warranty.....all your doing is making some insurance company rich!
Craig
threekrows

Re: Wasting your money (Craigmri)

Post by threekrows »

I see people with extended warranty claims everyday.A lot of them have bills equal to the cost of the warranty in one visit.All it takes is a transmission going out or major engine problems to rack up a huge bill.You really need to read the fine print on what they cover,what you get back if you don't use it,and MAINLY the company itself,there are some going bankrupt.You know what that means,if you have one of theirs,you're screwed.I'm not saying they don't make money on them,I'm just saying if you can't spare a grand down the road,get the warranty.Hopefully you'll never need it
wicked1981

Post by wicked1981 »

I got just in case.
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP3.9L V-6 240hp and 241 lb-ft or torque18" Aluminum, five-spoke, flangeless200 Watt, 8 speaker Monsoon sysChrome dual exhaust tipsLiquid Silver MetallicBorla Custom ExhaustDr. Speed Cold Air Intake
vibeinhoutx

Re: Extended Warranty Worth It? (wicked1981)

Post by vibeinhoutx »

The credit union I financed with gave a discount on the percent rate if the car had an extended warranty (or so I was told). In any case the rate was better than the separate financing I arranged and covered half the cost of the warranty over the life of the loan. The warranty is transferrable with the vehicle. And if I never use it, and choose to buy a future vehicle from the same place (or one of the sister dealerships) the cost can be applied as cash to the purchase price of the new vehicle.We owned two Geo Prizms before this. Hardly had a lick of trouble with either of them, but had to replace the starter (or alternator) in both, twice in one.
04 Frosty
87iroc

Post by 87iroc »

As a followup, I was reading the fine print in the section on the money back guarantee...a few conditions:1) You HAVE to wait the time-term of the warranty to request a refund(6 years in my case, even though the wife will hit 100k in 3 years or a tad less2) You HAVE to be the one to contact them...they will not contact me...I thought those terms were interesting, but for 1300, you damn sure better believe I"m putting it on the calender!!
GregF04 Vibe
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Since I work in the service are of a gm dealership, my experience with the customer and those $$$ bills, extended warranty is a very good idea. Request a booklet though on the warranty they are talking you into buying first and give it a read to see what that "bumper to bumper extended warranty" really does cover. Commission is made from selling those "extras" in the business office... least at the dealership I work with. Don't assume when your told "covers EVERYTHING" really means it does, you are being lied to. However it still is very good to get. GM parts these days can be expensive. Take ABS for example. Did you know that an ABS sensor comes with the bearings as a hub and bearing assembly and could be in the range of $400 for the parts before labour and tax? In Canadian $$$ the starter and alternator for a Pontiac Vibe ranges in the $600 to $800 for the part only and extended warranty covers those items.If your going to keep the car past its manufactor warranty, don't assume that "its a good car and shouldn't break" cause well things happen. My friend bought it for his car for about $1200 canadian, the full "coverage" package. Well the engine went on his car... he paid the $50 deductable plus a few misc parts and ended up with an $80 bill while Extended warranty paid for $4000... I'd say it more then paid for itself. Even if you do not buy it when you buy the can you can still purchase it later as long as the vehicle is not out of factory warranty.You won't regret it.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Just got a packet GM sent via snail mail today regarding GMPP. They list three choices, Basic Guard, Value Gard, and Major Guard. The warranties are $1180, 1495, and 1630, respectively. All are good for an additional 54,000 miles and have a $100 deductible.I would expect the extended warranty to kick in at 36,000 however the GMPP information I have states that the coverage ends at whatever the mileage was at the time of the warranty purchase, plus 54,000. So, I just hit 32,000 miles tonight. If I bought it now, it would expire at 86,000 miles. They have interest free financing for 15 months with 10% down.Thinking about going for it. I'm not too keen on the $100 deductable, but I can't imagine how much the price would increase if I dropped it down to zero. Most interested in the Major Guard, which will be $97/month. I've had the GM Major Guard warranty in the past, and it really paid for itself time and time again. The Vibe has been a relatively good car, but the future is just so uncertain. If I buy it and don't have to use it, I've just wasted $1600. OTOH, if I end up with a failure of something major, I will be kicking myself for not springing for the warranty.I have no choice other than keep the Vibe for many years to come, since I'm pretty well upside down. So the warranty may be a good idea. Even if I don't have to use it much, I will have a lot less stress.I don't know, the warranty question is going to require some serious thought and consideration.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
pmh013

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by pmh013 »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »I would expect the extended warranty to kick in at 36,000 however the GMPP information I have states that the coverage ends at whatever the mileage was at the time of the warranty purchase, plus 54,000. So, I just hit 32,000 miles tonight. If I bought it now, it would expire at 86,000 miles. Hmm... I'd check on that, because it seems pretty generous.GM gave me complementary GMPP at about 50,000 km. It only covered me to 100,000 km, plus whatever was on the odometer when I took delivery (406 km). I'm guessing that's what they'll cover.But if I'm wrong, then that's a great deal! Wishing I still had warranty ... mine expired 19,000 km ago.
ColonelPanic

Re: (pmh013)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by pmh013 »Hmm... I'd check on that, because it seems pretty generous.But if I'm wrong, then that's a great deal! Wishing I still had warranty ... mine expired 19,000 km ago.I know! I received a similar packet when I first bought the car. They had warranties listed that expired at 50,000, 75,000, 100,000 miles or the like. I have never seen one that is for x amount of mileage additional to what the car now has... That's just bizarre.I went to http://www.gmppdirect.com and entered the code on my paperwork, and saw the same information there. If you click the "Buy Now" option, you can play around with different lengths/deductibles/etc.For a 54,000 mile, zero deductible warranty, the price jumps to $1875, $112/month for 15 months if you get the financing. That wasn't as bad as I was expecting, I can probably swing that - only a few bucks more each month. Quite a bit of cash there, but then again, it isn't going to cost me $100 every time I take the car in. The last GM Major Guard warranty I bought was slightly less than $1000 for 75,000 miles / 0 ded. back in 2000. Wonder why the price has increased so much?They have warranties up to 75,000 miles - for me it would expire at 107,080 miles. Whopping total of $2,510 - pocket change. I'm definitely going for the Major Guard if I'm going to get the warranty. The other two cover the major mechanicals, but coverage is lacking for the little things like the moonroof, power windows, cruise, radio, etc. And with my car, it's all those little things that give me problems.http://www.gmppdirect.com/mic/...s.jspThink I'm going for it. Especially considering I highly doubt the dealer would be willing to finance an engine swap interest free for 15 months. Might as well pay now, because I know i'm not going to be able to shell out a couple thousand bucks in one lump sum should something nasty occur.

Image Image
neptunev

Post by neptunev »

The FI guy quoted me $1206 for a 60 month/50,000 mile plan, $100 deductible. This price was supposed to be great because my company is a GM supplier. I checked with the AAA and the plan they have 60/60, with a $50 deductible is $738. The kicker is that for $1249 AAA offers a 7 yr/100,000 mile plan. Anyone have any experience with the AAA plans?
cspmeinkc

Re: (neptunev)

Post by cspmeinkc »

I personally think it is worth it.I can not afford to repair anything major.and hell if you don't use it at all you get your money back!
2005 MOONSTONE GT PURCHACED JULY 16 200420% TINTK&N FILTER
ColonelPanic

Re: (neptunev)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Was that $1206 a GM warranty? If so, that's not too shabby! Not sure about AAA's warranties, haven't heard anything about them., so don't know. Good price and mileage, though. Just depends on what all it is going to cover.The one thing I've learned about all this - if you're going to get an extended warranty, get it as soon as you can. The price really gets jacked up as you get closer to your original warranty expiring. The warranties GM included pricing for in my packet have two sets of prices - One if your car has less than 24,000 and the other 24,000-36,000 miles. Each grade of warranty has increased $400 for those with over 24,000 miles.

Image Image
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Well, after much thought, I've been extended... Here's what I ended up with:GM MajorGuard36 months/54,000 milesExpires at 87,266 milesZero deductible$1,875 *ouch*$187.50 down, $112/month interest free financing for 15 months.Pretty tough decision, that was a chunk of change that I just put down there... However, considering I still owe $17,100 on a car that's worth $10,000 helped with the decision. I just don't have the luxury of ditching the Vibe should it turn into a clunker once the warranty expires. Keeping this car is pretty much a necessity, and no complaints from me about that - I want to hang on to the Vibe as long as I can.While $1900 is a heck of a lot of money to waste, I would also have a very hard time scraping $500 together for a major repair in one lump sum. god help me if I ended up with a $2,000 bill. $112/month seems like the better deal, for me at least. Your mileage may vary. Hopefully I made the right choice. I keep thinking about the Malibu I had - the $900 I spent on a similar warranty through GM bought me two rack-and-pinions, power steering pump, alternator, two intake gaskets, a set of valve cover gaskets, transmission seals, multiple sets of various suspension bushings, two ABS sensors, ignition switch, A/C control switch, fuel injectors, fuel pump, outside rearview mirror, and I'm probably leaving things out. That was all between 36,000 and 75,000 miles. Luckily, none of it cost me a dime except for odds and ends, like new coolant, oil, or whatever when they had to tear the engine apart. Having such rotten luck makes me a tad nervous. . I know I'm talking apples to oranges here, the Vibe has been by far a much better car and probably won't give me that much grief. Then again, the Vibe is far from perfect. IMHO, the car has spent a bit more time in the shop than it should have, so maybe I can get some return on my investment. It has all been small stuff, but I just don't want to take a chance. Either GM just ripped me off for $1900, or I'm gonna rip GM off when I need all those new parts... We shall see!

Image Image
futseal04

Post by futseal04 »

Well...after reading all of these i see that a lot of people are basing their decisions on previous GM experiences. I did lots of research before buying the Vibe, and one of the reasons I did was because the Toyota powertrain (the most expensive things to replace) were dead-nuts reliable for about the last 10 years. The only thing that goes bad (every lone once in awhile) is a cam sensor of some sort (can't really remember what it is at the moment) and even that was less than $300 to fix.Point is, I could take 1600 and put it into a mutual fund that makes an easy 7% and at the end get my money back and then some, instead of giving it to GM to make money on (in the case of the refundable warranty).
'04 Vibe Base'97 Buick Riviera S/C'01 Suzuki SV650S
defcon1

Post by defcon1 »

i wouldn't buy a vibe without one (make sure it's a g.m warrenty)
ColonelPanic

Re:

Post by ColonelPanic »

I'm still glad I have the warranty... Already had to use it once, and I need to bring it back in for yet another issue, mechanical in nature.

Image Image
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

I'm somewhat glad I bought the warranty, though irked that it won't cover my prematurely worn clutch.
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
Mavrik

Re: (Jahntassa)

Post by Mavrik »

don't buy it if your going to do anything other then add a sticker or more... I have had engine repairs declined because of a body kit even... like whats that got to do with the engine?
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
ColonelPanic

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »don't buy it if your going to do anything other then add a sticker or more... I have had engine repairs declined because of a body kit even... like whats that got to do with the engine? Um, sir, we're sorry to inform you that due to your painted calipers, we are unable to replace your fuel pump under warranty. lolI hope my under dash LED's don't prevent them from fixing that noise I'm hearing from the A/C compressor. lol!

Image Image
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »Um, sir, we're sorry to inform you that due to your painted calipers, we are unable to replace your fuel pump under warranty. lolI hope my under dash LED's don't prevent them from fixing that noise I'm hearing from the A/C compressor. lol!I wouldn't put it past them. my customer with the declined engine repair took his proof of service records to court and is meeting Drive Assured there.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

That's a shame...

Image Image
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

you have to be really careful, these companies know ppl are modifying their cars... they will look for different tire sizes, after market performance exhaust, body kit, use any excuse to deny a claim based on anything on the vehicle that is not stock/recommended by the car manufacture. They all ask "any modifications to the vehicle?" and lying is not a good option.it sucks but what can you do?
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »it sucks but what can you do?Good point indeed... I guess they're just trying to keep themselves from shelling out cash to fix something that an aftermarket part could have caused damage to... I've taken out my under-dash lights just to be on the safe side, since the car is going back in the shop on Tuesday. Not as if that did anything to cause the totally unrelated issue it's going in for, but to kinda cover myself.. Luckily, not a single mechanical mod on this beast, so I doubt I'll have any trouble.

Image Image
joatmon

Re: Extended Warranty Worth It?

Post by joatmon »

I did not buy an extended warranty. I told the salesman "If I need an extended warranty, maybe I should be looking at a different brand of car" I was all self righteous in my extended warranty refusal. I was cool. Today I find out that at 76K miles, I need a new tranny. take that "toyota reliability" and put it where the sun don't shine
21Rouge

Re: Extended Warranty Worth It? (joatmon)

Post by 21Rouge »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »I did not buy an extended warranty. Today I find out that at 76K miles, I need a new tranny. take that "toyota reliability" and put it where the sun don't shineThat is disheartening. Could you have bought a dealer warranty that would have lasted 76 000 miles? At 'my' Pontiac dealer the longest GMPP was 100 000 km or 60 000 mi.
joatmon

Re: Extended Warranty Worth It? (Boxgrover)

Post by joatmon »

I think they offered me a 100,000 mile extended warranty, but since I never intended to get one, I didn't pay much attention, was more focused on escaping the hard sell that dealers are so good at.