Clicking noise when turning steering wheel left

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Clicking noise when turning steering wheel left

Post by NSimkins »

Anyone notice a sort of click (or tick) noise when turning your steering wheel to the left?This seems to only happen to me when I first get in my car and move out of the driveway/parking lot and make my first turn. Usually after the first turn, I can't get the tick noise to recreate.A couple times only it would tick everytime I turn left. This may be due to temperature changes or something.I would take it into the dealer, but more and likely I (or they) could not replicate the problem.I also looked under the dash at the steering mechanics, but could not see anything visible that may cause the problem. Maybe somewhere where the joints swivel when turning?Just wanted to get other opinions.
[Modified by NSimkins, 3:19 PM 8/30/2002]
sharky

Re: Clicking noise when turning steering wheel left (NSimkins)

Post by sharky »

the only tick i here when going left is when i try to turn the blinker on and it actually sticks, but just like yours it only happens once and usually its the first time you go to use it.It makes me think that is the position where the steering wheel and turn signal stick. you know how the wheel turns back and turns the blinker off.....must be the sweet spot
Top Speed 130mph
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Clicking noise when turning steering wheel left (sharky)

Post by NSimkins »

This happens when I am not using the turn signal. Normally just as I pull out of a parking space or my driveway.But now that you say that about the turn signal, maybe something bumps together during the first turn left... not too sure though. It sounds a little different than the turn signal click.
MPankau

Re: Clicking noise when turning steering wheel left (NSimkins)

Post by MPankau »

My bet is that it's your auto headlights turing on, they click. And since you are stating it only occurs when you first get in, the headslights won't auto-on until about 15 seconds after the car has been started. Are you parked in a shady area? (Dark not bad ) Try turning the car on and waiting a minute before making that first left. Good luckMP
Monotone Abyss Vibe - Injen CAI - Custom Sub Install - Trailer Hitch
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Clicking noise when turning steering wheel left (MPankau)

Post by NSimkins »

Thanks, but I know for sure it's not the Auto-Headlamps (Twilight Sentinel) and pretty sure it's not the turn signal clicking. Still haven't had the time to get under and check it out.If I figure anything out, I will post it here in case anyone else has the issue.
[Modified by NSimkins, 11:43 AM 9/16/2002]
wiener

Re: Clicking noise :1st VIBE we test drove clicked during >

Post by wiener »

1.) stop and go driving ( acceleration front standstill )2.) turns to the passenger side ( right turn ? ) Second test drive of 2 other VIBES at same lot : This occurred : 1.) Clicking on acceleration in reverse or drive . 2.) Clicking when putting shift lever from PARK into DRIVE , NEUTRAL , or REVERSE during standstill w/ brake pedal applied So could be related . SEE MY PREVIOUS POST FOR MORE INFO . Hope this helps .Good Luck THESE ARE AUTOMATICS THAT CLICK / CLANK
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Clicking noise :1st VIBE we test drove clicked during > (wiener)

Post by NSimkins »

Thanks for the post, but the click noise I am hearing is coming from somewhere in the steering column area under the dash. The noise you are referring to was something I did initially experience, but my clanking noise went away after a couple days (as previously stated in other posts on this subject).THIS click noise only happens normally the first time I turn the wheel to the left, about 1/2 of a full turn. Normally I have to leave the vehicle sit for more than an hour to be able to recreate the noise.This particular noise I am referring to in this post has to do with something unrelated to the issue you are having (http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=884).EDIT 12/30/03 -- This noise went away a month or so after initially reported.
wiener

Re: Clicking noise : Good Luck on this 1 : possibly tierod , balljoint ?

Post by wiener »

Take to dealer and hopefully they'll hear it . Maddening isn't it ? Best of Luck
Paleogirl2003

Post by Paleogirl2003 »

I have also recently noticed this clicking sound when i back out of my driveway and turn the steering wheel left! I mentioned it to the dealer when I brought it in for service, but they didn't hear it / couldn't recreate it.Has anyone found a resolution / source to this issue?
Love my 08 Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

whoa, time warp. I don't know if Nick ever figured it out or not.
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: (Paleogirl2003)

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by Paleogirl2003 »Has anyone found a resolution / source to this issue?Quote, originally posted by joatmon »whoa, time warp. I don't know if Nick ever fogured it out or not. No, I remember this issue going away "on its own" probably about a year after I bought it... so sorry, no actual fix other than time.
Paleogirl2003

Re: (NSimkins)

Post by Paleogirl2003 »

O well, I guess I will wait it out then, thanks for responding though
Love my 08 Vibe
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Could it be the clock spring in the steering?
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi