Got crunched by an 18 wheeler.

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Bookworm

Got crunched by an 18 wheeler.

Post by Bookworm »

Was in the right hand (non-turn) lane, and a tractor in the center realized they needed to make a right turn - and started shoving my car sideways by the front fender.

Both of us would rather NOT get insurance involved - me because it's a pain in the (removed), and them because it looks bad. Frankly, nobody was hurt (my daughter was on the OTHER side of the car), and the car still drives - the door is a bit ajar, however :) I'm certainly not going to call one of those scam lawyers.

They could probably _replace_ the car for 4k, and their deductible could be higher than that.

In any case, could some of you guys look at this, and let me know what you think? I'm going to have to get an estimate, but right now, I'm seeing the following.

Tire (torn sidewall), front bumper, fender, straighten the frame (hood is shifted, fender is shifted, door is pushed slightly downwards, so when you pull it closed, you can feel it hit the latch) headlight assembly, fender liner.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EdbfSpM2ajPpsWfR8

-edit -

I'll probably need to fuzz out the details on the photos, since that's a shared link, but I doubt anyone here is going to use them unwisely.
SSizler

Re: Got crunched by an 18 wheeler.

Post by SSizler »

It doesn't look too bad until you see the door tweaked in the frame and not shutting properly.
That would disturb me, and indicate it was a fairly disruptive hit.
I would be searching for a replacement car rather than repair that one, because I don't like repaired major body damage.
It will always be "fixed", not correct.
I know those truckers really value a clean driving record, but it happened, he/she caused it, their burden.
Hopefully the truck driver will honor their responsibility, as now it is a you said / they said event.
I would have called the law to get it documented and reported to insurance immediately.
Just my humble opinion.
Good luck in whatever you decide.
I hope the chips fall in your favor.
My luck is usually not so good. :roll:
2003 Vibe Base / Frosty Mono / Moon & Tunes / Auto / 206k mi / Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD / Lava Mono / Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg / 150k mi
Many other 2 & 4 wheel toys :mrgreen:
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

SSizler wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:15 pm It doesn't look too bad until you see the door tweaked in the frame and not shutting properly.
That would disturb me, and indicate it was a fairly disruptive hit.
I would be searching for a replacement car rather than repair that one, because I don't like repaired major body damage.
It will always be "fixed", not correct.
I know those truckers really value a clean driving record, but it happened, he/she caused it, their burden.
Hopefully the truck driver will honor their responsibility, as now it is a you said / they said event.
I would have called the law to get it documented and reported to insurance immediately.
Just my humble opinion.
Good luck in whatever you decide.
I hope the chips fall in your favor.
My luck is usually not so good. :roll:
I have a witness, plus photos of the license and insurance. I'm suspecting it'll be me asking for enough to replace the car; I suspect it'll be less than their deductible anyway
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Ouch. :o Yeah an estimate will almost surely total it. Frame damage (even though these cars are frameless) is very likely and difficult to correct. Is this guy willing to shell out $4k+ just to keep his driving record clean? If so then that will likely be the case. Curious what estimates come back as .......
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

tpollauf wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:55 pm Ouch. :o Yeah an estimate will almost surely total it. Frame damage (even though these cars are frameless) is very likely and difficult to correct. Is this guy willing to shell out $4k+ just to keep his driving record clean? If so then that will likely be the case. Curious what estimates come back as .......
Well, an estimate to replace the parts - no mention of the frame - including painting, was $700 or so.

I haven't heard back about taking the car there for a physical inspection.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

So long as the frame isn't tweaked, it's worthwhile replacing the parts (on his dime if possible?)

If the frame/unibody is tweaked, it can be fixed. But depending on cost, not sure if it's worthwhile.

Glad you and the daughter are okay. Definitely an experience having that happen.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe