Vibration from rear brakes after drum/shoe replacement

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
cptnsolo77

Vibration from rear brakes after drum/shoe replacement

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I just recently replaced the rear drums/pads/wheel cylinders and all hardware, but now have a vibration coming from the rear brakes. I have verified it by pulling the ebrake while driving and its the same vibration that is felt in the pedal. Brakes stop GREAT, I have no noises but the drums are very hot too...I dont remember the drums getting that hot before. During the install I took pictures and used the other side as a reference, so Im pretty sure nothing was installed incorrectly. The shoes are adjusted so that they barely touch the surface of the drums. During removal I used the threaded hole on the drum to remove it, so no heavy hammering was done...however i DID take the pads to the metal and was grinding the drums a bit but everything was replaced with the kit. My internet searches point to drums that may be out of round from the factory. I purchased the Powerstop brand off amazon. Anyone have this issue before ? I dont want to leave this too long and risk ruining the shoes. If it does turn out to be out of round drums, O reileys can resurface them for $15 a pop. Im stumped and have no where else to go :lol: Thx in advance !
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
andrewclaus

Re: Vibration from rear brakes after drum/shoe replacement

Post by andrewclaus »

It sounds like you did everything correctly. You may want to contact the vendor, too. Some will do a lot to avoid a bad review. You may be able to get a quick shipment of new drums.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Yeah, this one puzzles me. My buddy gave me a hand with the replacement and he's actually a better mechanic than I am. Even he was saying hes not sure what the issue is. First time I actually replaced a part on the Vibe and had issues after the install. Looks like I will give Powerstop a call. Thx !
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

It's always a good idea to have a second set of eyes on a brake job. That's one place you don't want to make a mistake.

Could you feel the vibration in the pedal? If so, an out-of-round drum is more likely.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Sounds like you're on the right path on it being related to the drums. What about installing the old drums temporarily to determine if that's the cause? Or are the old drums gouged?
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Yes I kept the old drums, but yeah....they are gouged, so I don't know if that will help me diagnose. I was thinking of doing that as the next step. I tried adjusting the pads last weekend thinking MAYBE that would resolve it but no. Yes I can feel the vibration in the handbrake when I pull it around 40 MPH. Now that you mention it I don't feel it so much in the pedal...but I can definitely tell its coming from the rear of the car when I brake. I did forget to mention that I also bled the brakes.
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs