Electrical Issue wont start the car

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
03GTMatthew

Electrical Issue wont start the car

Post by 03GTMatthew »

Hello everyone, I need help diagnosing my electrical issue.
2003 GT

My starter went out luckily when I was at home. I ordered a new one, installed it, then the issue started.
Once I connect my battery to the car. All headlights, horn, emergency flashers, dome light all work. But as soon as I turn the key over to start the car, everything turns off and doesn't come back on.
I figured something with the starter, so I pulled it off again and used just the battery connected to the starter to see if it was good. followed this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x2hIOtBfzE). Turns out the starter was a dud, only the starter solenoid was good. I returned it and got a replacement. With the lesson learned I test the starter when I received the replacement. It passed so I installed it, installed the battery again. And Same issue of all power being cut once the key goes to starter.

I've looked over most of the fuses I think but nothing is bad. At first I was thinking it would be the fusible link but I don't think it would be with everything turning back on when disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it.

TLDR: replaced starter, all electrical items works until Key is turned to starter. Then ALL power is cut. no lights, no door buzzer. removed the battery and replace all electrical items work again until key is turned to starter.

Thank you all.
joatmon

Re: Electrical Issue wont start the car

Post by joatmon »

probably not the problem, but any chance it could be corrosion on the battery terminals?
03GTMatthew

Post by 03GTMatthew »

I did replace the negative terminal but not the positive yet, I was planning on doing that after getting the car started again. But I can try replacing that one too if other gussestions don’t come up first.
Thank you
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I would suspect the starter switch in the column. It's supposed to disconnect everything when turned to "start" position, so the starter gets everything the battery has to give it. But it's supposed to reconnect everything when it spring returns to "on." From the wording in your description, it sounds like that's not happening.
03GTMatthew

Post by 03GTMatthew »

Would you or anyone else have a diagram where I could locate the "starter switch" so I can try to pull it and take a look.

Thanks in advance
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

The starter switch is in the steering column, operated by the vehicle key. There's a link somewhere on this site to a repair manual which will tell you how to get access to the column. I don't have a wiring diagram for the car.

I would test switch functions at accessible junctions before tearing into the column. You might find a faulty relay too, or instead. You'd need an accurate wiring diagram for that. A good diagram will show locations of relays and junctions, wire colors, etc.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Check for voltage drops on all your electrical connections around the battery and around the starter. Do this with and without the starter engaged. If you get any voltage reading across a connection, when placing your meter leads on one side of the connection and your other lead on the other side of the connection, you have a bad connection at that point. If the connection is good, you will read 0 volts across the connection as you have the same potential difference (voltage) at both points.

If you have a bad connection / cable at the battery or a junction for your main power or grounding, it will act as you describe.