Poor Fuel Economy

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
ecrosman

Poor Fuel Economy

Post by ecrosman »

I have a 2009 Pontiac Vibe 2.4L Base FWD with 127,000 miles and love it except...I have noticed how bad the fuel economy is; 18 mpg city and 23 mpg highway. I have only had it for a couple years now and it has never improved. There are no slippages or any other noticeable problems (no check engine light). I did change the spark plugs but that made little to no difference. Any idea on the problem? Possibly O2 sensor? All answers welcome! Only part of the car I don't like and it is supposed to get ~26 mpg city and 32 mpg highway. Thank you!!
Bookworm

Re: Poor Fuel Economy

Post by Bookworm »

That is low, even for city driving in Houston, with our horrible 'EPA' mandated low mileage gasoline.

My first thought would be the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor)

Second would be the wrong spark plugs. It turns out that the Vibes are VERY picky, and if you put in the wrong ones, they run, but not as well. I found that out in 2004-5 :)

That's about all I can suggest, as I have no experience with the post 2008 Vibe engines.

I've also noticed you posted this in three forums, so it might be worth consolidating them. You also haven't said where you might be; there might be someone reasonably close by that can assist.
ecrosman

Post by ecrosman »

I'm new here so I didn't know where to post it. I live in Iowa City and only use Costco Top Tier gasoline.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Don't ask my why, but my Corolla Vibe hates Costco gas. Every fill-up over the past 5 years has resulted in rpm shuttering when coming to a complete stop. I can't explain it other than maybe my car doesn't appreciate waiting in tortuously long lines just to get a fill-up (and no squeegie to clean the windows) :?
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I'd try a tank or two of something else, just to see. The gas shouldn't make that much difference, however.
ecrosman

Post by ecrosman »

I have tried other gas from Kum & Go and Hy-Vee but they don't seem to last as long.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

What about Chevron, Exxon, or Shell?
ecrosman

Post by ecrosman »

Don't think we have any near by
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

What about Casey's or the Route 66? When we lived in Kansas, their gas seemed to be reasonable.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
ecrosman

Post by ecrosman »

Casey's gas is not good!
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

can't be any worse than what you've been using. *shrugs*
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

First thing I would say is....hows your driving style ? Are you easy on her ? :lol:

This is what I would do :

- change driving style if needed

- check tire pressure FIRST...i tend to lose MPG when pressure is low. Mine is at 37 PSI....5 PSI
above reccomended pressure

- clean MAF sensor, TB, IACV and air filter if needed

- check if brakes are dragging

- update us :lol:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

ecrosman wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:46 am I have a 2009 Pontiac Vibe 2.4L Base FWD with 127,000 miles and love it
First off ... welcome to GenVibe ;)

I didn't see where you mention the transmission? I ask this because in my household we have exactly what you have and in both trannys (one auto, one manual) so I can compare them against each other. The other issue seeing how you've owned it for a couple years now, is it one of the few "oil burning" 2.4L engines out there? We have one in our fleet and the mileage is not that great (son's car, the automatic, and he beats the S H I T out of it ... bad driving behavior)

The auto probably gets only low-mid 20's combined, whereas the manual gets 29 combined over the past ten years :D

Do you have a history of who owned it prior to yourself and if it had any mechanical issues?
More details and maybe we can better help diagnose your problem.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"