Possible tranny/differential issue on 2005 AWD Vibe???

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
rgnjc

Possible tranny/differential issue on 2005 AWD Vibe???

Post by rgnjc »

My car is an automatic 2005 AWD Pontiac Vibe with 150k, and I love this car and am now sad that it had a major breakdown. Its had no major problems up until recently, and good regular maintenance. Last night I was driving down the highway at 55mph and BOOM a mini explosion from under the front of the car. I braked and came to a stop, and at lower speeds the front wheels locked up and would no longer turn. Lots of grindy metal noise. As I waited for a tow truck I made some observations. The car would idle normally when started, and would allow me to switch gears normally. It would switch to reverse, neutral, then drive. I could apply the gas in drive and the car would not move until enough power was applied to the rear wheels, at which point the car would lurch forward while the front wheels would lock and drag. The wheels would rotate once and then lock/drag again. There are no fluid leaks. Tranny fluid and motor oil look/smell fine. I did replace the front differential fluid and tranny fluid 6k miles ago, just as I had previously done. The front diff has been weeping oil out for the better part of the past 75k (which is why I checked/changed it 6k ago) but never really got low (really low leak). Full disclosure: In that last tranny/front diff oil change, I used Blue Devil oil stop leak because I wanted to put a stop to this, and I used the ones for gear oil in the front diff and the one for tranny in the tranny fluid. I followed directions as instructed with these products, and it seemed to stop the leak for about 5k, but then it started weeping again. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I just wanted to add that, just in case.

No major mechanical issues prior to this.

What can I expect? front diff blown? Possible damage to tranny? The car is over at Aamco waiting for a diagnostic. They will put it on a lift tomorrow, and probably pull the codes for the check engine light. I really dont want to lose this car!
Last edited by rgnjc on Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
2005 Vibe base AWD w/ M&T, 191k miles (as of 8/2022)
2007 Vibe base FWS w/ M&T, 150k miles (as of 8/2022)
zbyers

Re: Possible tranny/differential issue on 2005 AWD Vibe???

Post by zbyers »

It's really hard to say... Best bet is to wait for their diagnosis and/or go visit the car in daylight hours so you can take a gander under the car and see if something broke.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

rgnjc wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:56 pm My car is a manual 2005 AWD Pontiac Vibe ...
... It would switch to reverse, neutral, then drive. I could apply the gas in drive ...
Since Pontiac never made an AWD VIbe with a manual transmission, and you reference "drive", are you sure its a manual AWD and not an automatic?
Probably doesn't matter.

If the front wheels lock up and the rear wheels still get power and move, then I'd suspect something in the transfer case, where the power is split between front and rear. If that's where the problem is, you'd be the first here to have such an failure, but that's not much consolation.

I agree with zbyers, wait to see what the shop finds. let us know what they say
rgnjc

Post by rgnjc »

Sorry my mistake, I meant automatic!

Aamco just called me back, the guy suspects a retaining ring or something came loose in the transmission and fouled up all the internals. Says it will be $4k to replace the tranny. He says I just have (removed) luck and there was nothing I could have done to prevent it from happening.

Not sure if its worth it, the mechanic said it may come in slightly cheaper but $4k is a conservative estimate. Basically, shop for a new car or $4k to buy my car back. What would ya'll do?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

The AWD trans is harder to find... But, www.car-part.com can search junkyards nationwide. The same automatic transmission was used in the Matrix too, so that should help in your search.

I also say get a 2nd opinion at a local independent shop, that would hopefully specialize in Toyota and/or transmission work. Big chains always try to do the easy way out, which would be just install a new trans.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

zbyers wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:52 am The AWD trans is harder to find... But, www.car-part.com can search junkyards nationwide. The same automatic transmission was used in the Matrix too, so that should help in your search.

I also say get a 2nd opinion at a local independent shop, that would hopefully specialize in Toyota and/or transmission work. Big chains always try to do the easy way out, which would be just install a new trans.
I would go this route too. Aamco wanted similar money (adjusted for inflation) to fix my Grand Am's transmission (15 years ago) I shopped around and a local place was about 40% cheaper.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
rgnjc

Post by rgnjc »

I did shop around some of the local mechanics in town here and they actually estimated the cost to be around $5k, which was higher than Aamco's estimate. Considering I am moving across country soon, I think it would be best to go with Aamco in case I have issues elsewhere. The person at Aamco gave me an updated estimate, about $3200 to replace the tranny with a remanufactured one with a 3 year/50k mi warranty. I think that is much more agreeable than the original $4300 estimate so I will probably be going forward with the repair. Under a different situation I would try to do the replacement myself and cut the cost in half, but since I'm moving soon I don't have that luxury.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Whatever you do, make certain that if you have any leaks or glitches, that you hammer the Aamco. I had a transmission replaced at one, and they played around for months to run the warranty on mine out, then said "Not our problem".
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I hate these fix or replace decisions. With the Vibe being 10 years out of production, we'll all have to decide sooner or later. Seems like in your case, the cost to repair is less than a replacement car in good condition. Still sucks though.

If you can, try to get some pics of the failed internals.
rgnjc

Post by rgnjc »

Just wanted to update here.

Aamco replaced the transmission for $3200, which was down from the ~4500 estimate they originally gave me. Got the car back and it had a bunch of other issues (clicking noise and rough idle), which I took it back to them and they replaced the MAF sensor and the front axle free of charge. I had a bunch of other outstanding issues with the exhaust system and they had their other shop take care of those problems for a nominal fee. Just got it back and it seems to be running very well so I'm pretty pleased right now! Now it runs much quieter too (I had some exhaust leaks). Now hoping I don't have any issues for quite some time!
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Great to hear it's fixed. Hope you have many more years of vibing
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Great! Glad you're back on the road, and that you left an update for us. Many people just disappear.

Assuming nominal 'buy a new car' monthly costs, you'll be free and clear if you get ten months of driving out of it. (400 a month for 10 months)
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Yeah, agree with others on this story. Glad you chose to fix it even though it's a huge financial hit! :o We can assume that you're in a colder climate due to it being an AWD model? Profile ??? Anyways hows the underside and overall condition of the car? Solid, some rust, severe rust? If still fairly solid then you'll easily be ahead of the game for the next several years and feel good about the money you just spent. Keep us posted on future repairs as they arise.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
rgnjc

Post by rgnjc »

There's been a development with my tranny issue here. I took my car for the 2 week check-up and when I passed the car off to the mechanic and stood outside I heard an abnormal noise that I didn't previously pick up on because it's rather hard to hear while driving. Upon closer inspection, the mechanic determined the flex plate was cracked and damaged, which was the source of the squeak and clicking when changing gears. They said they should have inspected it and replaced it when they did the tranny, so they are going to take my car next week and do the work for free since they should have caught this issue when they replaced the transmission.