2006 base "missing"

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
o2ej

2006 base "missing"

Post by o2ej »

as the 2006 vibe was driving home yesterday and the Vibe started "missing?"

once home we checked all fluids, which were normal. NO CEL at this point. As it was idling, the RPM randomly fluctuated between 650-850. Drove around the block and it kept "missing" randomly. Driving on the highway this morning after about 8 miles the CEL lit and the car continued to hesitate. But I did make it to work!

within the last 8 months my son and I have replaced:
Alternator
Battery
Spark Plugs (Denso)
PCV valve
MAF Sensor routinely cleaned
Air filter

My first guesses are vacuum leak and/or coil pack. I think I can track a vacuum leak but not sure how to test coils. I have never replaced the coils so I'm leaning toward them being the issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
zbyers

Re: 2006 base "missing"

Post by zbyers »

I'd say pull the codes first and revert. It's a crap shoot at this point. If it's misfiring, first guess is usually the plugs, depending what you previously installed since they call for Iridium (many put lesser in just to save a few $$$.

Since you've already done plugs, pull the codes and see what cylinders are misfiring. Then clear them and switch ignition coils around (IE: if cyl3 was misfiring, put that coil in cyl1 and see if the misfire goes there. If the misfire follows, you know it's the coil.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

no doubt in my mind: its the ignition coils. Don't cheap out. Get the Denso
o2ej

Post by o2ej »

Caretaker wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:46 am no doubt in my mind: its the ignition coils. Don't cheap out. Get the Denso
thanks. that's the plan! I'll keep you posted
o2ej

Post by o2ej »

update:
installed 4 new coils-->now have a significant "knock" or "slap"

son hooked up OBD2-->P0352 and P0354 codes (B and D cylinders relating to ignition coil)

When removing the old coils, one had a orange-brown film on the boot. Would that indicate the valve cover gasket needs replacement?

Given the "knocking" noise, I have a feeling there may be a valve issue as well. Or the ignition coil wires need replacement? or all the above?
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

.........just to be clear......you put in all new Denso ignition coils (double checking that they are the right part number) and it made things worse?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

...If you did the ignition coils, you would have noticed that they are straight plug and play. there is no spark plug wire on these.

I would double check the spark plugs themselves, and the coils. Those codes are essentially saying that they are not detecting the electrical signals from the plugs and/or ignition coils.

https://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-p0352

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I got that effect originally when I stuffed in standard spark plugs (non NGK) back about 14 years ago.
jolt

Post by jolt »

I would say zbyers has it right - "Those codes are essentially saying that they are not detecting the electrical signals from the plugs and/or ignition coils." A similar code of P1305 can be found in the 2003 Matrix info that has been floating around on this board. Basically the wiring or connections to the coils, the ECM, or defective coils. Link to the two codes:

https://www.autocodes.com/p0352_toyota.html

https://www.engine-codes.com/p1305_toyota.html

Troubleshooting would be similar for both codes.
o2ej

Post by o2ej »

Well finally had time to go thru the Vibe. Found a bad spark plug.

Took a while we ran around the blocks a few times with no codes or misfire issues. After 15-20 minutes, P0304 showed up. Swapped coils, same cylinder throwing code. Was going to swap plugs around when we found the ceramic insulator spinning. Bit surprised being the NGK Iridium IX were installed January. We will be ordering a new plug and hopefully back on the road this week. We'll keep you posted

Thanks for all the input!
FrankenVibe

Post by FrankenVibe »

I know this is an old thread, but may I ask where you purchased the spark plugs? I’ve been watching some YouTube videos and seeing there are a lot of fake automotive maintenance products being sold on Amazon and eBay, especially spark plugs and the like.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Rock Auto is the only place I buy autoparts online. They've been really good to me.
https://www.rockauto.com/
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Rockauto or your local parts stores. I haven't really noticed a huge price discrepancy between plugs online vs. in store, so I prefer to go support the local store.

o2ej

Post by o2ej »

FrankenVibe wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:02 pm I know this is an old thread, but may I ask where you purchased the spark plugs? I’ve been watching some YouTube videos and seeing there are a lot of fake automotive maintenance products being sold on Amazon and eBay, especially spark plugs and the like.
Purchased thru Amazon. Don't recall the seller. Could have been just bad luck.
FrankenVibe

Post by FrankenVibe »

zbyers wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:57 am Rockauto or your local parts stores. I haven't really noticed a huge price discrepancy between plugs online vs. in store, so I prefer to go support the local store.
SeattleJeremy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:30 pm Rock Auto is the only place I buy autoparts online. They've been really good to me.
https://www.rockauto.com/
I was asking the OP in particular due to the bad plug. Advance will price match rock auto on a lot of stuff if you contact them online or over the phone. Did it with my CV axle and tie rods.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

FrankenVibe wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:15 amAdvance will price match rock auto on a lot of stuff if you contact them online or over the phone. Did it with my CV axle and tie rods.
good to know. i will have to try that.