Air Conditioner Smells Like Vinegar Upon Startup

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
chrispbacon

Air Conditioner Smells Like Vinegar Upon Startup

Post by chrispbacon »

I'm not sure why but whenever I startup the car and its hot outside the air conditioner has a very strong smell of like vinegar? I added refrigerant to it about 2 weeks ago and I accidentally added too much and the compressor kept turning on and off and my girlfriend said I added too much. So I release some of the refrigerant out of the system and then it went back to working ok. You think I still have too much refrigerant in there?
Caretaker

Re: Air Conditioner Smells Like Vinegar Upon Startup

Post by Caretaker »

Are you sure the odor simply wasn't from the musty smell of mildew buildup in the windshield air intake vents? In VA, I used to pour some bleach to sanitize the area where leaves and debris builds up over time.
chrispbacon

Post by chrispbacon »

Caretaker wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:33 pm Are you sure the odor simply wasn't from the musty smell of mildew buildup in the windshield air intake vents? In VA, I used to pour some bleach to sanitize the area where leaves and debris builds up over time.
I don't think so. I have been parking under a tree at work and I'm usually pretty good at cleaning out the leaves. Also the area looks quite clean. The weird thing is that after about two minute its gone.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Sounds like mildew in the intake channels. You might fire it up on straight through, and hose some lysol spray into the intakes. Your car will stink for a day or two, but it should drop the odor. (Ozone generator in the car on recirculate can help afterwards)

I had that problem with a couple of my old cars. I'd end up Lysoling it twice a year or so. It happens when you're in a high humidity area, and you don't put the car on vent only for a minute or so before you get home. The cold air channels condense water, inviting mildew to take up residence.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Where you located? Update your profile for us.

If you think you overcharged it, what means did you use to add the refrigerant? Throwaway disposable 12oz cans or a 30lb jug with refrigeration manifold & hoses?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

How nasty is your cabin air filter?
tpollauf wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:57 pm Where you located? Update your profile for us.
From viewtopic.php?t=46924, chrispbacon is in south Florida