Loud rattling -- Idler pulley?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
raz

Loud rattling -- Idler pulley?

Post by raz »

Yesterday my 2003 Vibe started making rattling noises from the area around the generator and belts. I was doing errands and every time I started up again it got worse until it sounded like I was driving an old Model A. I recorded the sound and sent to my Email Auto Diagnostician (dad) and he said it sounded like an idler pulley problem. I've read some of the posts about such rattling sounds that mention replacing the belt tensioner, serpentine belt and/or idler pulley.

My question: how can I tell which one (or ones) need replacing? (I'll be doing it myself.)

thanks
Raz
2003 Fiesta Red
Bookworm

Re: Loud rattling -- Idler pulley?

Post by Bookworm »

Mechanic's stethoscope, or a long cardboard tube (paper towel tube) held to your ear. Aim it at each wheel/pulley in turn.

Belt itself - check the condition of the belt. If you have more than 30k on the belt, replace it. If you have cracks on the belt, replace it. If the inside of the belt is polished shiny, replace it. If you replace the idler pulley, replace the belt.

Can you tell I'm a fan of regular belt replacements? :)
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Bookworm wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:44 pman you tell I'm a fan of regular belt replacements? :)
Not at all! :lol:

Solid advice though. Doesn't hurt to replace the belt if you just bought the car too. At least you'd know it's been done!
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
raz

Post by raz »

Great, thanks for the high tech tip! Tomorrow is repair day...
2003 Fiesta Red
raz

Re: Idler pulley - remove torx bolt anyone?

Post by raz »

It is indeed the idler (belt tensioner) pulley making noise. But on the 2003 Vibes that pulley is attached with a T-50 torx bolt, and the space is too narrow to fit a ratchet with a bit into. Tried using an 8mm crescent wrench around the bit for a handle but the thing is really lodged in there and an 8mm wrench is pretty short for getting leverage. WD-40'd a couple times, and overnight. Looking in vain for my 12" tongue and groove pliers.

Has anyone ever removed one of these? If so what did you use?
2003 Fiesta Red