how much oil seepage near tensioner?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
ihaveavibe

how much oil seepage near tensioner?

Post by ihaveavibe »

I was about to replace my accessory belt tensioner when I read about the timing chain tensioner and the oil leaks. Problem is, I don't think I've come across any photos or videos of these leaks. This guy changing his tensioner here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDPFq-9jnXE seems to have a totally clean engine compared to mine as seen here:
oil near belt tensioner.JPG
oil near belt tensioner.JPG (23.74 KiB) Viewed 1404 times
I know some people mention the chain cover leaking.

Anyone know which might be leaking or seeping here?

thanks
hogdoctor

Re: how much oil seepage near tensioner?

Post by hogdoctor »

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I have a similar leak and posted it here back in May ............. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=46475&p=521527#p521527

Only difference is mine is an 04GT and I believe yours it an 03 base.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ihaveavibe

Post by ihaveavibe »

Thanks, this was a good view. She makes it look easy...
ihaveavibe

Post by ihaveavibe »

tpollauf wrote:I have a similar leak and posted it here back in May ............. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=46475&p=521527#p521527

Only difference is mine is an 04GT and I believe yours it an 03 base.
Did you resolve the source of the leak? I got a new chain tensioner at a Toyota dealer and the guy told me that a lot of the time it's the head gasket that leaks in that area. I mentioned I knew it could be the timing chain cover but he said it's usually the head gasket. I'll see if it was the tensioner O ring, though I have to say, I had a hard time trying to clean that area. Basically, I'm not sure I did.

BTW, an indy mechanic told me that in his experience Mobil 1 full synthetic has caused a lot of seals to leak on older cars. He said I'm better off sticking to conventional. I have some doubts, i filled it with Mobil 1 only once, and that was this past July ... I doubt this developed over 5 months...
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

ihaveavibe wrote: Did you resolve the source of the leak?
Not yet. Don't drive this Vibe much just yet so I didn't bother with it. I just am careful where I park it so as to not ruin my driveway :o

It's possible that it is the head gasket BUT only where the block,head, and timing cover all meet together. Pretty much where I have it pointed out on that parts layout in the other post. Whenever I decide to tackle this I'd need an entire day and the lift to do the work. Someday soon ..............
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

My 03 GT had the same leak tpollauf mentioned. My 07 appears to be leaking in a similar spot. I'd be hard pressed to think it's the head gasket...I've had this car for 100k miles and I KNOW I have taken care of it. I am leaning towards the timing chain o-ring initially as it is cheap and easy to replace. If that is not it, I am leaning towards the timing cover gasket like tpollaufs. If that's the case, unless it starts leaking a lot I will leave it alone.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe