Is something missing here?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
ihaveavibe

Is something missing here?

Post by ihaveavibe »

On a base 2003 model I noticed something weird near a connector that I'm not quite sure about - it's right next to the MAF connector. It looks like a circular washer or ground connector with a missing bolt.

Is a screw or something missing here? What is this?

Thanks
near MAF.JPG
near MAF.JPG (97.89 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
hogdoctor

Re: Is something missing here?

Post by hogdoctor »

Mine looks similar, I believe a bolt to fasten it is an option, but the engineers opted to use a clip instead.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

My 03 is the same (although a little less rusty :P ) Looks to me like underneath is a captive nut, to bolt something to from the top (there is a through hole) I'd guess its for an option that none of us have, or a last minute change in design to accommodate something no longer needed, or perhaps Toyota uses the same part in a different car, and it it wasn't cost effective to come up with a different part that doesn't have the hole/captive nut.

Bottom line is its normal, no worries
ihaveavibe

Post by ihaveavibe »

joatmon wrote: Bottom line is its normal, no worries
Thanks for confirming. Today I was looking at for oil leaks and saw another unused threaded hole in the back of the engine next to the PCV valve. Is something missing here? I think I saw something attached on a youtube DIY video. (BTW, where might the oil be coming from at the corner of the valve cover?).

thanks
Attachments
missing screw back of engine.JPG
missing screw back of engine.JPG (87 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
hogdoctor

Post by hogdoctor »

This engine was used in a lot of different vehicles, so finding extra threaded holes comes as no surprise. The oil could be wicking back from the PCV threads or the filler cap.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

My 03 also has nothing in that hole near the pcv, I don't think we're missing anything.

hogdoctor had two likely suspects for the oil. Good thing is it doesn't look like much. Would be rare if the 16 year old engine didn't leak at least a little somewhere.

It's important to regularly keep an eye on the oil level, and to feel free to ask anything else you're curious about these cars
ihaveavibe

Post by ihaveavibe »

Thanks for the answers! I ask on this forum to limit the possibilities to Vibes since as hogdoctor mentions there could be uses on other vehicles. I've got a separate thread on the oil around my fillcap.

I found two more unused holes

- there is one on the edge of the valve cover above the fuel rail between the rightmost and the next cylinder (i guess that's 3 and 4?). That seems to be a strange place not to have a fastener. This would concern me more if it seemed like there was oil seepage there, but there isn't. I'm not sure the valve cover has ever been removed, so maybe this skipped bolt is also as is from the factory.

-Then there is one to the right of the VVTi/OCV assembly. That looks like an unused option to bolt something on.
ihaveavibe

Post by ihaveavibe »

ihaveavibe wrote: - there is one on the edge of the valve cover above the fuel rail between the rightmost and the next cylinder
Ok, I think this is where the engine cover attaches.... so nevermind!