Ring Dropped Down Front Defrost Vent

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
jbkite

Ring Dropped Down Front Defrost Vent

Post by jbkite »

Hi all,

I need some expert advice on getting my girlfriends ring out of the defrost vent in my 2004 vibe. I have gone in there with an inspection camera and can not seem to locate it as of yet. When the ring fell in the setting of the heat was for defrost and feet. I am not familiar with the path that the ring could have taken. Where is the best place to get in there with the camera and look? I am willing to make a hole in the system if need be and patch it up later. I am not looking forward to taking the entire dash apart which might be necessary. Would taking the radio out give me some better access? What about going in from the glove box area? Any help would be greatly appreciated it means a lot to my girlfriend.

Thanks,

JB
zbyers

Re: Ring Dropped Down Front Defrost Vent

Post by zbyers »

I'd probably take the radio and glovebox out and see if you can see anything from there. Did you try to go in from each vent on the dash and see it? Honestly, you may end up having to remove the dash to get to it.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

you may end up having to remove the dash to get to it.
It's not as hard as you might think. I am not sure if there is a complete dash removal Youtube. But there are some Youtubes how to remove the bezels and other parts of the dash leaving very little for you to figure out on your own.
If you get to do that here is a hint: pull the center knob of the climate controls to reveal a hidden screw.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

ragingfish (one of the pioneers in Vibe disassembly) wrote up a how-to years ago. Unfortunately the pics are long gone but the instructions are still there... Maybe this will help:

viewtopic.php?t=7912
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Here is a PDF showing the various parts of the air ducts and heater box. Looks to me like something dropped into the defrost vent would fall into the back of the central air distribution box. Somewhere in there is the AC coil, so if you cut a hole to access it, be careful to not cut too deep and nick a refrigerant line or coil.
Attachments
conponen.pdf
(115.98 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

From the looks of the diagrams I am guessing the ring is inside the Defroster Nozzle Assy. It is hard to imagine how it could move from there into the duct work.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476