Rotational noise

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
sanwar321

Rotational noise

Post by sanwar321 »

Hello everyone,

I have a 2007 pontiac vibe and I'm in Saskatchewan.

So we had the vibe for about 2 years, and the original people we bought it from had put in the right axle shaft wrong and the transfer carrier got damaged so we had to get a new transmission because of that.

The original problem we went in with is still there though! What we went in for was the passenger side of the car making a repeated bumping noise and something that sounds like a howling at fairly low speeds (40-60 km/h here in Canada, I think 30-40 mph in US). We are going to go get the tires rotated and balanced in a week from Costco. The problem started when the tires were seasonally changed. So, we took it back to the people who changed the transmission to ensure the axle shaft was in right. I saw it myself, no leak and no excess shaking or anything. They said the noise was the wheel bearing. We got that changed, but the sound was still there. We went back to check with them, and they said the wheel bearings are fine and the axle is fine. This time, though, the howling sound hasn't reappeared, but the bumping noise is still there.

I was wondering what it could be. I know our rotors need to be changed, but I wasn't sure if the rotors could cause such a sound. There is nothing else I can think of that would be causing that sound. It matches the speed of the wheel (speeds up when more speed). When I jack the car up and spin the passenger side wheel, I can hear a grinding sound that's not on the other side.

Just wanted to know if anyone could help me figure out what it is. Thanks!
SeattleJeremy

Re: Rotational noise

Post by SeattleJeremy »

The problem started when the tires were seasonally changed.
There is likely something wrong with one of the winter tires or wheels. One of them is missing a wheel weight, a rim is out of round, or a tire is bad.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
vibrologist

Re: Rotational noise

Post by vibrologist »

Most likely a tire is out of balance or other wise damaged. One way to figure that out is by rotating the tires. If the problem moves to another corner of the car or mystically disappears you have proof that it is the tire.

You say you need new rotors. It is not impossible that a bad rotor causes a rotational noise. It's unlikely that it causes a "bumping" noise.

Do you feel a vibration or motion in the steering wheel that harmonizes with the noise?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476