06 Vibe wont start

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Joep24buzzard

06 Vibe wont start

Post by Joep24buzzard »

Hey guys!
I am new to this site and I am a huge Vibe fan! my whole family is currently driving Vibes (5 total)
I recently purchased an 06 FWD that had hit a deer, taking out radiator, hood, grill, fender and even knocked the ABS block loose. When I purchased the car, it fired right up and ran like a champ! I only let it run for a couple min, long enough to put it on the trailer. When I got it home it fired right up and pulled it off the trailer and parked it. Approx one week later, I went to pull it in the garage to start working on it and the battery was dead. I tried jumping with no success and it seemed to roll over a little slow so I put a new battery in it. The car still rolled over fairly slow and did try to start, but was unsuccessful. I ended up towing it into the barn and tried to diagnose the issue. (I consider my self an 'old school backyard mechanic' so please cut me some slack with this newer computer stuff.) I pulled the plugs out and they were wet, so I put in a new set of NGK's. I hit the key and it tried to start,spit and coughed and then just continued rolling over. I checked the fuse block under the hood and everything there looked good.The radiator was close to the intake so I decided to remove the radiator, pull back the bent metal, remove the intake and inspect thoroughly for cracks or thought maybe the gasket started leaking. I couldn't find anything, so I put a new intake gasket on and bolted it back together and still the same issue, acts like it wants to start but doesn't. Can anyone help an "old school" guy like me get this car running again? I will add that there was no signs of overheating and did still have a little coolant in the radiator when removed. I am stumped, it ran perfect a week ago.
Thank you
Joe
ehoff121

Re: 06 Vibe wont start

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe!

Get your relatives on here!! :D

Another backyard mechanic here. Starting with the obvious, did you replace/repair the damaged engine parts? Is there gas in the tank and is it getting to the fuel rail? Is the new battery fully charged and the correct size and amperage?

From the damage you described, it sounds like there could have been air bag deployment.

Good luck with the new project car!
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I'm also old school, and was thrilled the first time a car told me what was wrong with it. I'm sold on OBDs. Invest in an OBD-II scanner. I got mine for less than $20, good enough to read industry standard codes. The check engine light must be on. You will eventually need to read and deal with the codes.

Next thing I would check would be engine compression, to rule out the remote chance of engine damage.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Random thoughts here:

Do you have coolant in the engine at this point? If not then there will be no valid signal from the ECT sensor. This should not be preventing it from starting because with the engine cold the computer uses presets. Once it gets warm it will run rich.
Also could you show us some pictures?

Verify that you get fuel pressure.
Verify that you have spark.
Since it ran a week ago I think we can assume you have compression.
Check the grounding straps and cables.
Disconnect and inspect all wire harness connectors. Sometimes that activity re-establishes good contact.
This one has a drive by wire accelerator. Check the connector at the pedal as well.
There is another fuse panel inside the dash to the left of the steering wheel.
Buy or borrow an OBDII scanner. Andrewclaus is correct. When these basics don't get it to run you have to look into the computerized functions. Without codes we will have no chance to help.

And here is the most important thing: don't give up!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Joep24buzzard

Post by Joep24buzzard »

Thanks for all the reply’s! The airbags didn’t deploy, and do have fuel to the rail. I will do as you guys suggest tomorrow (ran out of time today) I didn’t check grounds or harness connections, or the fuse panel under the dash. I will grab a scanner tomorrow as well and dive right in! Thanks again and will let you all know how I make out.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

ehoff121 wrote: Get your relatives on here!! :D
Welcome to GenVibe :) A nice family pic of all your Vibes would be sweet!!! Can't offer much more advice than what was already mentioned. Troubleshoot, test, then post results here. As you start ruling out items, you'll be closer to solving the problem. Oh one big bit of information that could help us help you ........ your LOCATION. Update your profile for us ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Joep24buzzard

Post by Joep24buzzard »

Ok guys, I drug the Vibe in the shop today. I purchased a cheap scanner as recommended so decided to start there. Surprisingly, there were no stored codes, so checked fuses under dash, everything good, checked compression with all cylinders good, have fuel, have spark. Checked all connections and grounds. The car still rolled over somewhat slow, but still trying to start, spit, sputter and cough. I decided to change the starter, so pulled one off a parts car I have out back and still same thing. At this point I decided to pull the Optima yellow top battery out of my race car for some extra cranking power and same thing. I tried once more but now was just clicking like it was seized up. At this point I was pretty stumped, thought maybe the bendix was stuck in the flywheel, so I got my 1/2 drive and a 19mm socket to put on the balancer bolt to roll it over and it was locked so reversed the ratchet and the crank turned, but the belt didn’t!!!!! This is when the lightbulb went off!!!! Now I quickly found that the alternator was froze up solid! I feel like an idiot here guys......:oops: :roll: the rolling over slow should have been my red flag from the start. I grabbed the alternator off my parts car, bumped the key and its purrrrin like a kitten!!!!!!
Problem solved!!!! :D
Thank you all for your help. I will update my profile and keep in touch!!!