VSC, Trac and engine light come on after 09 Vibe overnights in rain

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
WileECoyote

VSC, Trac and engine light come on after 09 Vibe overnights in rain

Post by WileECoyote »

So, my 09 Vibe 2.4l 5 speed has the three lights of doom come on with varied codes read each time it happens. The one common code it has is P0607 (Control Module Performance) along with P0136 (second o2 sensor bank one) or C1201 (engine Control Module Performance).
This only happens when it sits for at least 8 hours and its been raining. No rain=no problem. driving in the rain, sitting in the rain while at work for 8 hours or whatever, no problem.
I've read multiple threads on here about various folks having similar issues, but I can't seem to find a solution. I found a TSB that says to seal the rear O2 sensor where it runs next to the evap case in the center console, but that doesn't make sense as sometimes this happens when no A/C has been used in months. I looked there anyway and cannot find an 02 sensor wire anywhere near the throttle pedal under the center console. I have disconnected and used dielectric grease on various sensors and connectors in order to attempt to seal them from the elements, but no difference

Im at wits end
WileECoyote

Re: VSC, Trac and engine light come on after 09 Vibe overnights in rain

Post by WileECoyote »

And today’s code P0138. I think I’ll replace the rear O2 sensor and see how that goes
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

With the 2nd gens, supposedly the rear ABS sensors get corroded and when they get wet, the whole christmas tree lights up.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
WileECoyote

Post by WileECoyote »

Replaced the secondary O2 sensor, three rain sessions later and still no check engine lights have returned. Seems as though Pontiac/Toyota have an issue with the other codes for the ECU and disabling the TCS system whenever anything triggers a code!
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

WileECoyote wrote:Replaced the secondary O2 sensor, three rain sessions later and still no check engine lights have returned.

Glad you got that sorted.
WileECoyote wrote:Seems as though Pontiac/Toyota have an issue with the other codes for the ECU and disabling the TCS system whenever anything triggers a code!

This is actually a safety feature. The computer understands there is a problem, and throws the code for the system it thinks is causing the fault. The computer also does not want to accidentally start controlling traction when it's not needed (even if the fault is not in TCS/ABS) so it turns the Traction Control System off.

EDIT: In the early 00's my 96 Grand Am had an engine speed sensor failure, and the traction control system went crazy. This was because the info the computer was getting from the engine/transmission was different compared to the TCS/ABS system.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Glenpointe

Post by Glenpointe »

I have exactly the same problem with my 2009 with 2.4L engine 5sp automatic. I got caught in a heavy rain few days ago, and my check engine light turned on and my VSC off light flasing. However, the lights turned off the next day. It rained again last night and the same lights turned on today. It stored 2 codes. P0138 and P0607. I am baffled why does the O2 sensor trigger this code after rain? The only thing that I can think of is the O2 connector got wet and shorted out. And after you drive a car for while, it dries out and everything is OK. I bet the O2 is still good, but the connector seal is deteriorated overtime. Wondering if I can seal the connector or I need to replace the O2 sensor?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Glenpointe wrote:I have exactly the same problem with my 2009 with 2.4L engine 5sp automatic. I got caught in a heavy rain few days ago, and my check engine light turned on and my VSC off light flasing. However, the lights turned off the next day. It rained again last night and the same lights turned on today. It stored 2 codes. P0138 and P0607. I am baffled why does the O2 sensor trigger this code after rain? The only thing that I can think of is the O2 connector got wet and shorted out. And after you drive a car for while, it dries out and everything is OK. I bet the O2 is still good, but the connector seal is deteriorated overtime. Wondering if I can seal the connector or I need to replace the O2 sensor?
You could definitely add some dielectric grease to the connector and see if that stops the problem. i'd also check the wire right at the o2 sensor to see if it's cracked or anything.

it is definitely a well known issue that the 2nd gen lights up the fourth of july in wet weather for some reason. my dad's has done it a few times and thrown the code for the cam sensor, but has no issues otherwise.

Glenpointe

Post by Glenpointe »

trying to disconnect the O2 sensor 4-way connector yesterday and couldn't able to do it. It's one hand operation, trying to push down the locking tab and at the same time pulling the connector but could not able to do it so I gave up after one hour. Any suggestion?
Thanks,
Glen
hogdoctor

Post by hogdoctor »

sometimes a bit of debris gets stuck under the plastic tab that you have to push down to unlatch it. If they give me trouble, I'll blow out the area with my air nozzle and it usually lets me disengage the clip.
GORGO

Post by GORGO »

That just happened to me this AM when leaving work.I work nights.The Vibe sat for about 10 Hrs.I have been driving the last couple months thru rain.I started it & all the same lights lit up.
Everything was good when I left for work but was driving thru rain & a lot of standing water. I did notice the Transmission was shifting a little odd on the 16 mile trip home.One of my co-workers has a scanner so Im gona pull the codes this weekend.I have been reading thru all the threads on this & there seems to be a lot of different answers/fixes.Im a Class 8 Tractor/trailer mechanic & do my own Vehicle maintenance.My vibe is a 09 base with the 1.8 automatic with under 50k miles.Im just gona drive my 96-F150 4x4 into work tonight.
Previously known as,TONY-TAT2 /GODZILLA
09 Base bought new. 08 Pontiac G6 the Wifes bought new. 93 Vette 40th Ruby Red Anniversary Rag top 6spd.
GORGO

Post by GORGO »

Pulled the codes,the scanner only went up to 08,but did get two codes
PO 456 Small leak in e-vac,figured that cause the CEL to come on after sitting 10 hrs & it does that gas vapor E Vac.
C 2911,see service manual,anybody know what that is ? I did remove all the TPS sensors a couple years ago.L couldn't clear that.
I cleaned the gas cap & filler neck as suggested in one of the above posts., cleared the PO 456 code,it only set that once.
I gota go out this afternoon so ill drive the vibe,park it overnight & see what happens.
BTW,after I cleared the PO code the traction control icon & the blinking VSC lights went off.
09 Base bought new. 08 Pontiac G6 the Wifes bought new. 93 Vette 40th Ruby Red Anniversary Rag top 6spd.
GORGO

Post by GORGO »

UPDATE.
After cleaning the cap & 0 ring & driving all week the CEL light never set.We can't pump our own gas in NJ so sometimes I forget to check the cap.I did notice the cap doesn't click & return sometimes so Im gona order a new cap.Hope this helps somebody.Reading the posts helped me & I just tried the easiest thing to do 1st Happy trouble shooting & good luck.
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

My '09 Vibe GT's been doing the same thing. Code P0607 after rain/moisture conditions.

According to General Motors Co., the problem typically surfaces in high ambient temperatures with the air conditioning system on and is most likely due to water entering the pre-cat O2 sensor's electrical connector. A clogged evaporator drain is the true villain. Drying the connector and clearing the drain often eliminates the trouble.

I tried that. However, it didn't fix my problem. Since my sensor is out of its recommended service life, I'll replace the pre-cat 02 sensor and see if that does the trick.
Last edited by PonchoGT on Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

PonchoGT wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:21 am My '09 Vibe GT's been doing the same thing. Code P0607 after rain/moisture conditions.

According to General Motors Co., the problem typically surfaces in high ambient temperatures with the air conditioning system on and is most likely due to water entering the pre-cat O2 sensor's electrical connector. A clogged evaporator drain is the true villain. Drying the connector and clearing the drain often eliminates the trouble.

I tried that. However, it didn't fix my problem. Since my sensor is out of its recommended service life, I'll replace the pre-cat 02 sensor and see if that does the tick.
why not hooking up a scan tool with live data and pull the live feeds of the o2 sensors? If the o2 sensor is reading normally using live data, that surely isn't the problem.

PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

I hooked my OBD II Scan Tool up and it did record erratic live readings in the form of voltage fluctuations from the 02 sensor bank. That, and the fact my downstream sensor is outside it's maximum service life (I know, I should have replaced them both at the same time) lead me to conclude my sensor is indeed faulty.

My mechanic told me these sensors can also be damaged by environmental factors such as water, splashes from road salt, oil and dirt. He also said as they age and becomes sluggish, the time it takes them to react to changes in the air/fuel mixture slows down which can also throw a trouble code.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

PonchoGT wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:37 am I hooked my OBD II Scan Tool up and it did record erratic live readings in the form of voltage fluctuations from the 02 sensor bank. That, and the fact my downstream sensor is outside it's maximum service life (I know, I should have replaced them both at the same time) lead me to conclude my sensor is indeed faulty.

My mechanic told me these sensors can also be damaged by environmental factors such as water, splashes from road salt, oil and dirt. He also said as they age and becomes sluggish, the time it takes them to react to changes in the air/fuel mixture slows down which can also throw a trouble code.
To a point, yes, they age. However, so long as they're reading within their limits, they're fine. My '03 GT was on the original o2 sensors when I sold it at 280k miles.

Hopefully replacing the o2 based on what you've found resolves the issue for you.

PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

Thanks for all the tech tips and advice. My root problem was a grounding issue due to the alternator stud connector bolt not tightened properly. I learned the hard way that can cause a myriad of ECM trouble codes and trouble lights on the dashboard's DIC.

All is well now, no codes or performance issues. :D
jolt

Post by jolt »

Grounds are the worst to trouble shoot as the electrical signals can back feed through other wires in search of a ground to try and complete the circuit. This then messes with the other signals and you end up with multiple electrical problems. You can never have to many grounds; good grounds that is.