Slightly broken spark plug cap, and oil on spark plug..

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
CraigLloyd

Slightly broken spark plug cap, and oil on spark plug..

Post by CraigLloyd »

I changed the spark plugs today on my '07 base Vibe (here are the old plugs for kicks) and I ended up breaking off a piece from one of the spark plug caps:

I was able to re-install it just fine and the car still starts and runs as normal, but I'm not sure if that broken section may cause problems in the future or something.

Also, when I removed the spark plug from the #3 cylinder, I noticed a bit of oil on the body of the spark plug, maybe like a drop's worth. I looked down into the spark plug hole and noticed just a tad bit of brown, but nothing that looked vastly different than the other holes. Is this a major problem that I should be investigating further? What could be causing this?
My Garage
2007 Pontiac Vibe (base trim)
2019 Hyundai Kona SE
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300
jolt

Re: Slightly broken spark plug cap, and oil on spark plug..

Post by jolt »

The little bit of oil is most likely from some small leakage between the valve cover and the cylinder head, I would not worry about that. The coil being broke is the backing support for the rubber coil seal. You can seal it up with some dielectric grease just like you would use on a spark plug wire boot.

Here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-22058-D ... B000AL8VD2

The cheapest place for the grease I have found is Menards in their auto section. That grease and anti-seize are life savers for working on old cars if you live in a winter salt zone like I do.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I know how you broke that: you did not loosen up the wiring that is bolted to the engine.

Now ask me how I know that.

It has no detrimental effect on my Vibe and it won't have any such effect on yours. Even without grease.

Re oil on plugs I agree with Jolt. There may be a minor leak at the valve cover seal to the plug tube. I wouldn't worry about it yet.

BTW I hope you got NGK plugs instead of Bosch. Toyota uses NGK to develop their engines and as a result these engines work best with NGK. many German manufacturers use Bosch to develop their engines and thus Bosch works best for them.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
CraigLloyd

Post by CraigLloyd »

vibrologist wrote:BTW I hope you got NGK plugs instead of Bosch.
Yup! I use NGK on pretty much everything.

Re: spark plug cap, totally didn't realize the wiring got in the way. Good to know because pulling out all the caps was a bear!
My Garage
2007 Pontiac Vibe (base trim)
2019 Hyundai Kona SE
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300
jolt

Post by jolt »

My Vibe came with Denso spark plugs and since Denso does the electrical system in the Toyota, I put Denso plugs back in my Vibe. If you look at the coil picture and read the name on the coil, you see Denso. Another brand that has worked well in anything I have put them in is Autolite spark plugs and a brand I avoid because of failures is Champion spark plugs. Your always safe sticking with the OEM brand spark plug though.