Brake help.

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
foxmotofan15

Brake help.

Post by foxmotofan15 »

So about a year my brakes started to go. I parked it for about six months because the sway bar link decided to go. So I fixed that but from sitting for so long the brakes rusted up. So I started with replacing the rotors and pads all around and the right passenger caliper because I snapped a bolt.that didn't work. I still had very little braking power. Next I went and replaced the master cylinder. that still had no effect. Then I noticed when the car was off when i would press on the brake pedal it would depress, so I thought ok there is a vacuum issue. So next I replaced the power booster and put new clamps on the vacuum houses too make sure they were on there tight because the old clamps weren't holding the hoses tightly. Now with the new power booster I have no pedal at all, with car on or off. I'm waiting on the tool to adjust the push rod inside the booster to see if that was the problem. Past that though I don't know where else to turn. Any suggestions would be appreciated thank you.
joatmon

Re: Brake help.

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe

You didn't mention it so I need to ask, did you bleed the air out of the hydraulic lines after the hydraulic component replacements?
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1NvtUwfRJc

Generally, it is not a good idea to replace hydraulic parts on one side only. It may be OK but internally the older caliper has less internal resistance than the new one which leads to uneven brake force. You may feel this with very light touch to the brake.

I am working on the brakes of a 08 Hyundai Sonata. One thing I noticed is that the areas where the pads are held on the brackets are corroding in significant ways. There is more corrosion than the wire brush can remove. I chipped away a layer of that stuff and used a file to get to solid metal. I put anti-seize stuff on these surfaces before adding the shims. I also took out the slides, cleaned them, cleaned out the bore for them and greased them up with anti-seize.

I suggest you bleed the system again even if you have done it before. In fact I would completely flush the system.

You replaced the master cylinder. Look at this video to see if you have done all the steps.
https://youtu.be/trotrlIG2sk

Which year and how many miles on your Vibe?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
foxmotofan15

Post by foxmotofan15 »

joatmon wrote:Welcome to genvibe

You didn't mention it so I need to ask, did you bleed the air out of the hydraulic lines after the hydraulic component replacements?

That is what I am in the middle of currently