New Ignition switch, no inside power

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
newtoaVIBE

New Ignition switch, no inside power

Post by newtoaVIBE »

Hey everyone. I just picked up a running (well not currently lol) driving vibe for $400. High mileage but still drives. Its actually roomy inside. Ok so when I got the car it needed a new alternator. Put a new alternator on, new drive belt, and belt tensioner. Took it for a ride. Ran ok but loading up some. But here's the thing. When I got home to see how the battery was charging, I turned it off and then the ignition key lock cylinder went out. Had to drill it out. So then I had to get a new lock cylinder and housing. Put it together (minus that black cable thing on top) it starts and does move, but I have no cluster lights, the RPM is at 0,the doors don't lock and windows don't work now. Everything worked as it should before I had to replace lock cylinder. Its a 2003 AT with over 300k miles
joatmon

Re: New Ignition switch, no inside power

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe!

How about the wipers and the cig lighter power outlet in the dash (or the radio), do they still work?

If they do, then I'd say check the Gauge fuse in the fuse block that's up under the dash. If they don't, then it would point more to either the some part of the ignition switch or perhaps the ignition relay
newtoaVIBE

Post by newtoaVIBE »

Thank you four greeting me I tried the radio and it doesn't come on. Im thinking its something switch related or that ignition relay. Ill give a look later. What is that black cable that sits on top of the lock housing? It runs to the shift knob.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

he, he....so that's where my car went to............I thought it would be in a dumpster by now or crushed and recycled into Bud Light cans. Age kills humans and cars. I wish you luck on getting your car back to working order. Even Corollas die someday.
newtoaVIBE

Post by newtoaVIBE »

Thanks man! I hope to have it up and running as well. It needs piddly dink stuff like 2 front tires and door handle. But mainly that switch business lol. It's too cold to mess with it outside. The old ign housing has a black cable running to it but the new one doesn't have that hole in it for that pin like the old one did.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Do the wipers work? Sounds like you got the wrong switch. I would think the stuff will work again when you get the proper switch where that other wire gets hooked back up. Different parts of the switch power up different parts of the car. It is not just a single switch in that switch you removed. Replace with the same part and it should be fine, unless something else got damaged in the removal of the old switch. I hope you disconnected the battery before replacing the switch.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Where did you get the switch, and what's the part number?

I agree with others that it sounds like it's the wrong switch. The black cable on top that runs to the shifter is the neutral/park safety interlock, without which the car won't crank. But if everything else with the switch was correct, you should have all your accessories. So, to reiterate what's been said already, it's either not correct or something else like a fuse blew or the ignition relay failed when you were working on it.
newtoaVIBE

Post by newtoaVIBE »

Sorry for such a loooong wait for an update. Or was really cold and snowing up here. Yeah I put a new lock cylinder housing, new lock cylinder, new ignition switch in it and turns out there was a blown 25a fuse under the dash. I think it was AM1 or something along those Those lines. Thanks everyone that helped me out