Ordered Timken bearing, got something else

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
bigdoug

Ordered Timken bearing, got something else

Post by bigdoug »

So I ordered a Timken wheel bearing from Amazon. Wasn't available at the local O'riley, Autozone, or Advanced (all 3 sold a National bearing with the same part number). When it arrived, it looked fine, but I noticed it had Koyo stamped on the bearing.

Is this a problem? I've heard the Koyo is the OEM bearing that came with the factory car. So, if I got it for the price of an aftermarket brand, maybe it's a good thing.
jolt

Re: Ordered Timken bearing, got something else

Post by jolt »

This is a very common practice now a-day with bearings. You make this bearing and I will make that bearing and we will trade bearings. That way we will both cover the market and not be in competition with each other. It is a form of collusion were both parties work together to lower competition and fix prices. To the consumer it looks like there is all these manufactures out there, really there are only a few anymore. That being said, Koyo may be the only manufacture of that part number bearing anymore, it is hard to tell. There could also be some left over stock from an different old manufacture out there but finding it is by luck. Bearings use to be a lot cheaper and better when there was competition between the manufactures but not today. :(
bigdoug

Post by bigdoug »

If it is the proper Koyo bearing I'll probably just end up using it. Doesn't seem Koyo's website has any way to search their bearings by application.

BTW is there a trick to removing the indentation on the axle spindle nut, so I don't maul up my spindle as well? Don't need to add an axle to my expenses here.
jolt

Post by jolt »

bigdoug wrote:BTW is there a trick to removing the indentation on the axle spindle nut, so I don't maul up my spindle as well? Don't need to add an axle to my expenses here.
You find a punch that fits the groove in the axle shaft and then grind the end of the punch to tapper it back. The end of the punch should look like the end of a wood chisel when you are done, except the body of the punch is round were the body of the wood chisel is flat. A normal punch end is ground 90° to the shaft of the punch, you want to grind the end of the punch 45° to the shaft of the punch, if that makes sense. Put the punch it the axle groove and hammer. The tag on the nut will be pushed up out of the axle groove by the tapper that you just ground on the end of the punch.
bigdoug

Post by bigdoug »

A quick update.

Koyo is the OEM bearing. It had the same part number on the old bearing as well.

Also, since I replaced both bearings, I bought the AC Delco bearing off Amazon which I think was $10-15 cheaper for the other side. It too was a Koyo OEM bearing with the same part number stamped on it. So I'd just get the AC Delco off Amazon being that it's the OEM version and all.

Also, new snap rings for the bearing are $3 or so at my Toyota dealer, and the axle nut was $9+. If you get a new hub like I did, the hub should come with a new nut. The bearing does NOT come with a new nut though.