Rattle noise coming from below when it's really cold

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
CraigLloyd

Rattle noise coming from below when it's really cold

Post by CraigLloyd »

2007 Vibe here. As the winter has gotten extremely cold here in the midwest, I've noticed that sometimes the car will make a rattle noise off and on for the first couple minutes of driving when it's really cold.

The noise sounds like it's coming from below the center console in between the front seats, and it's pretty loud. It only happens while the car is really cold for the first couple minutes of driving, and it happens only for a couple of seconds at a time randomly.

UPDATE: Here's a video of the noise: https://youtu.be/uXcMCGXUcZY

It happens more often when I'm accelerating. I'm taking it in to have a mechanic look at it, but I at least want to get some ideas from the community first.
Last edited by CraigLloyd on Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Garage
2007 Pontiac Vibe (base trim)
2019 Hyundai Kona SE
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300
tpollauf

Re: Rattle noise coming from below when it's really cold

Post by tpollauf »

Craig. I find on some of my vehicles that snow/ice gets jammed up in certain areas and when it sits overnight FREEZES in place so that when I start up & drive the next day, it rattles for a while until it shakes itself loose or melts. This could be similar to what you're experiencing. I doubt that you have anything seriously wrong and that it is strictly a temperature related issue. Let us know otherwise if there really is something wrong.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
CraigLloyd

Post by CraigLloyd »

Update! I got a video of the noise: https://youtu.be/uXcMCGXUcZY
My Garage
2007 Pontiac Vibe (base trim)
2019 Hyundai Kona SE
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I'd check exhaust system hangers and heat shields. In extreme cold there may be enough contraction, or rubber hangers getting hard enough, to change the dynamics. There may be something missing or broken by now, too.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

It sounds a lot like something hitting a fan blade... was the HVAC on? When's the last time the cabin air filter was changed?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum