2003 GT strange stalling issue

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Dans2003GT

2003 GT strange stalling issue

Post by Dans2003GT »

Maybe you guys can help me figure this out.
Left a store parking lot, after pulling out onto road I shifted into 2nd, and when I started to accelerate the car died.
The check engine light came on, and the tach was showing RPM, but the gas pedal had no effect other than induction sound.
Coasted to a stop at which time the engine showed no RPM. It re-started normally, and this process was repeated 3 or 4 times before it ran normally again, pulling throughout the powerband including lift. I pulled the code P1300, coil circuit fault cylinder 1. Cleared code and it ran fine for a week, then this started again. I switched coils 1 and 4 to see if misfire moves, nothing yet.
It was very cold both times this happened, and engine was warm on both occasions. I have not felt a miss at all, and it happens seemingly at random and both on sub-zero days. My logic tells me if a coil was bad, it would always miss, and one cylinder missing should not cause the engine to die. I am not sure about driving it since this could be something worse than a coil that will strand me. I will look into this further on the weekend so if anyone with a 2zz has some advice or insight it would be appreciated.
andrewclaus

Re: 2003 GT strange stalling issue

Post by andrewclaus »

I found a troubleshooting guide that said to check the wiring harness from the ECM to the ignitors. The ECM might be at fault, as well, but you may need an oscilloscope to check that output. Switching ignitors is a good move that may yield the next step.

I haven't had this problem and I'm just guessing. Good luck with it.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Go here for info on troubleshooting this problem: http://madstyle1972.com/Repair/05/200o8c05/cip1300.pdf

The coils feed back a signal to the ECM that it has fired. If the signal is not seen by the ECM, it will shut off the fuel injector to prevent damage to the catalytic convertor. This could be a bad coil, bad ECM, or bad wiring/connections. Above link shows you how to test this to find out what is wrong. Use of Denso brand spark plugs and coils is recommended as they are OEM parts.
Dans2003GT

Post by Dans2003GT »

Thanks for the info. I don't know if the problem was just due to a loose connection, or maybe the battery is getting weak and these issues show up because of the extreme cold. All I did was put new plugs in, and they were not even bad, but figured I'm already in there so why not. The issue never came back prior to this post, or before I did anything. I guess I'll just get my hands on a battery tester next time it gets stupid cold and see where its at. The plugs did have some fouling but I assume it was from the missing and stalling, but I will monitor them. From what I understand a battery can cause stuff like this to happen if it is in a weakened state, not sure how old it is though. Hopefully the extreme cold has run its course, my car hates it as much as I do, but I do live in Wisconsin, it's usually warmer in Alaska, LOL