noise on start when cold

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
dantes

noise on start when cold

Post by dantes »

Just bought a nice looking 2009 vibe to have around for a second vehicle. Only 86000 miles and is in good shape 1.8l engine auto trans. only problem is when I first start it after sitting all night it makes a noise from engine almost like it is out of oil. I installed a new filter and put synthetic oil in it and it still is making the noise. After a few seconds it will go away and then it runs great with no noise all day long. Have heard or read about idler problem . Anybody have any ideas what it might be. :o This is our second vibe loved our first one a 2003 hope this lasts as long .
Caretaker

Re: noise on start when cold

Post by Caretaker »

the bendix gear in your starter is beginning to fail. At the beginning, it will only happen on cold mornings at first startup. Gradually it will happen 3 or 4 times a week, then daily in the winter time. The starter won't leave you stranded; you just have to put up with the hideous screech once the engine is engaged. I can only hope Denso has noticed all these posts on Vibe/Matrix/Corolla/Honda websites and has fixed he problem in their new starters.
dantes

Post by dantes »

thanks that makes me feel a little better. I was worried that something was wrong with the engine :D
dantes

Post by dantes »

well bought a new starter and put it on and that was not the noise. talked to a friend and he said it was the cam guides pumping up at start and I need a heavy weight oil not synthetic.
jolt

Post by jolt »

See post here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=46348&p=522088#p522088 with attachment and video links.