turning right squeal

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Ondersma80

turning right squeal

Post by Ondersma80 »

I have a 2006 with 240k. Overall the car is doing pretty darn well aside from the rattles. Still goes pretty good, mpg is still right around 30 - just no reason to dump her yet as I haven't had to pump much in.

A couple weeks ago a squeak/squeal started. I have been analyzing it for a while to see all the ways the squeal manifests. The noise only occurs stopped or at low speeds (1-10MPH). It only occurs turning the steering wheel right. The squeal lasts only a couple seconds while the wheel is turning or held turned. If I am parked it does it more in D but not so much in P. If I turn right into a driveway it will squeal every time. If I slip it into N before turning right into a driveway it will still squeal. If I just sit in N or P and turn the wheel it rarely makes the squeal.

Things I have checked: I do not feel play at 12/6 or 9/3 on either front wheel/tire. I don't have any significant clunks, grinds, or scrapes while driving. I have no vibrations at freeway speeds or bearing noise turning left or right at 50. Power steering fluid is at the cold max when cold, goes to the middle of the min-max when hot (seems clean and normal). I think I can hear the power steering pump slightly when turning the wheel in park - it is faint and doesn't sound abnormal - the problem squeal is different and higher pitched like a cat meow. Belt has about 50k on it and doesn't seem obviously cracked.

Any ideas?
andrewclaus

Re: turning right squeal

Post by andrewclaus »

Check tie rod ends, ball joints, and control arm bushings. Good luck with it.

Since you can reproduce the noise when stopped, get an assistant to help while you're under the hood and on the ground. Use a mechanic's stethoscope or a length of heater hose.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

While parked and with the engine running, turn the steering wheel lock to lock, holding it against the lock on each side for a few seconds. This will purge air from the system, which I think may be the issue.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Ondersma80

Post by Ondersma80 »

lannvouivre wrote:While parked and with the engine running, turn the steering wheel lock to lock, holding it against the lock on each side for a few seconds. This will purge air from the system, which I think may be the issue.
I tried this, no luck. I did record the squeal sitting in my garage. You can see it only does it when turning the wheel right and only while the wheel is actively turning... squeal stops if wheel stops. I had my wonderful wife try turning the wheel while I listened; her wheel turning skills did not allow me to pinpoint nor did her patience or curiosity win the battle. I have my brother on notice this weekend and the jack and jack stands dusted off.

Video of steering wheel turning and squeal... crappy video but may be an interesting watch: https://youtu.be/C7zoVTIWkjg
jolt

Post by jolt »

I wonder if the power rack is going bad? You have have to hear around with a stethoscope to fine where the noise is coming from.

https://www.amazon.com/automotive-steth ... ethoscopes
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Can't hear it well. I don't think it's strut mounts or belt slippage, but I'm going to make sure we rule them out like good technicians.

If you turn the wheel with the key on, engine off, does the sound remain present? This will help isolate the issue to either the rack/pinion/pump/etc or suspension noise.

I think what's happening is an issue with inadequate pressure or something similar in the power steering system. Is the steering effort increased, as far as you can tell?

My suspicions are along the lines of of jolt's, that the rack or pump is failing or a hose is restricted. I'm afraid I don't have a suggestion for telling which is the weak link. The operation of the pump and rack are so closely linked that the failure of one might cause the other to appear failed.

I also think that if one has failed, the resulting strain on the other components might make it a moot point anyway. This is a common consequence for many vehicle systems where one component must take up slack of another. So please take that into consideration, as you may well end up needing to replace everything involved anyway. Even if the part that did not fail seems OK, it may have had a dramatically shortened service life later on down the road. Just make sure you set aside enough funds to replace everything else once you identify the culprit.

You could probably get used parts as replacements, but they may be sensitive to contamination or being drained and corroding while not being used; not sure.

PS: you have done a great job trying to diagnose this on your own and have shown great initiative. It makes me so happy to see someone approach a car problem with some logic after the nonsense I've seen on the BMW forums lately.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Ondersma80

Post by Ondersma80 »

I really appreciate all the responses and help nailing it down.

I finally got to do a two man helper looksy and listen. We quickly narrowed it down to the front passenger wheel area. With the car running it is a bit harder to pinpoint and we first stared at the power steering pump taking turns. We both decided we think it is more from the wheel itself. Started poking around and grabbed the rotor and held it. Held it, noise stopped. Switched spots, same thing, Rotor was vibrating and causing some strange metallic reverb squeal I assume against a clip. It was a bit rusty and pads and clips had some gunk on them so tossed on some new rotors, pads, and took her for a spin. All fixed going on 2 days for about 150 bucks.

Rotors/pads were not at the top of my list. I have no confidence in the repair but time will fix that. And no squeal.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Congrats on getting it fixed!
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Oh wow, that certainly is bizarre! Man, diagnostic testing is far easier when you have interested help. I have to admit I'm pretty jealous; my helpers are almost always sulky, grumpy, and always display a certain level of disdain for having to allocate time to helping.