Mystery Wire, What is it?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
daybw

Mystery Wire, What is it?

Post by daybw »

My 2009 GT has a wire dangling from behind/above the rear bumper. I can't figure out what it is supposed to be plugged into? Any ideas?
My son was rear ended by the high school driving instructor a year ago :o , and there was extensive work done. I hope I can just plug it back in, but cant find what is is supposed to be plugged into. :?:

photos attached
Attachments
wire dangling.png
wire dangling.png (422.18 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
wire dangling 2.png
wire dangling 2.png (232.98 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
jolt

Re: Mystery Wire, What is it?

Post by jolt »

That wire is for the license plate light. It looks like it has not been plugged in for some time with the dirt that is on the sealed connector end. The light fixture was probably broken when it got rear ended. When was the last time all the lights where checked to make sure they work?
daybw

Post by daybw »

Thank you! I did check the brake lights and turn signals, but overlooked the license plate light. I will have to take the heat shield off to get my fat arms up there.
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I'm guessing license plate light, as well. Followed by old tow-light wiring if that doesn't pan out.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

To change the license plate bulb, you can remove the light housing from outside the vehicle. No need to remove the heat shield.
2009 Vibe Base