Buzzing noise when accelerating

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
kvnshnnn

Buzzing noise when accelerating

Post by kvnshnnn »

I have a 2009 Vibe, 2.4L AWD, automatic transmission.

It's has started making a distinctive buzzing noise when I accelerate. It's almost like a really fast spinning propeller like noise. Seems to be coming from the engine compartment. I only hear it when the engine is wound up to accelerate, such as on a freeway on ramp to get up to speed. Otherwise there is no audible noise outside of normal engine noise.

Ideas? It almost sounds like an exhaust leak, but I'm just guessing.
ehoff121

Re: Buzzing noise when accelerating

Post by ehoff121 »

Maybe a few more details on the noise would help?

High pitched or low? Does pitch change with speed? Does noise change in volume?

Exhaust leak would be low and you would hear it at idle and from under the car.

With no further information, I'd advise you to check for any loose hard objects (coins, CD cases, etc) in the storage areas that could be vibrating against a hard surface when the engine rev's are high.

Have a look at this thread, too: viewtopic.php?t=28211
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
kvnshnnn

Post by kvnshnnn »

Under normal driving conditions it's not audible. It is heard only when accelerating, at higher RPMs, when the engine is under most stress. Sort of sounds like when a kid puts a playing card on their bike such that the card is rubbing against the spokes of the wheel...sounds odd but honestly that's what it makes me think of.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

kvnshnnn wrote:Under normal driving conditions it's not audible. It is heard only when accelerating, at higher RPMs, when the engine is under most stress. Sort of sounds like when a kid puts a playing card on their bike such that the card is rubbing against the spokes of the wheel...sounds odd but honestly that's what it makes me think of.
Okay, but is it highway speed you're traveling at or can you put it in neutral and hear it at the same RPMs?

Might help if you could post a recording of the noise.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
kvnshnnn

Post by kvnshnnn »

I stepped outside and started it up and revved it in both park and neutral. No noise. I'll try to get a recording of it when I drive home this evening.