Fuel Pump Question

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
ryanfromri

Fuel Pump Question

Post by ryanfromri »

Hey guys, so I posted a little while back about a problem with my 2005 5 spd Vibe base model. It's got around 120k miles on it, and for the past few months it's been hesitating when i lay off the gas and then re-apply the gas. It happens at all speeds, but is more noticeable at lower speeds. Also, when the vehicle is warm, it takes longer and is harder to start. I've replaced the plugs (Denso oem), coil packs, intake manifold gasket, checked for vacuum leaks, replaced maf sensor, cleaned throttle valve, PCV valve, checked injectors to make sure they click/tap.... I think that's it. Anyways, I still have the hesitation/stumble even after doing all of that, and it is very noticeable, not just a little hiccup. So I decided to pull the fuel pump and see if maybe something was up there. When I did, I noticed that one of the wires (red) from the sending unit (I think) appears to be burnt and is discolored. I was wondering if this could cause my symptoms of hesitation and hard start when warm. I attached a picture below of the fuel pump and the wires mentioned. I tried testing my fuel pressure and borrowed a pressure gauge from my local auto parts store, but I didn't have the right attachment to connect to the fuel line under the hood near the firewall, so I'm not sure what my actual fuel pressure is. It seems this car has a weird connector piece that the fuel line feeds into and it isn't like a regular schrader valve piece that the other cars I've looked at have. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Attachments
Fuel pump.jpg
Fuel pump.jpg (173.35 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
petervivian

Re: Fuel Pump Question

Post by petervivian »

That red wire is part of the circuit for the fuel gauge. I think you still need to check the fuel pressure to see if the pump is bad.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
ryanfromri

Post by ryanfromri »

Alright thanks man, do you know what fitting is needed to test the fuel pressure? I tried the other day but the line near the firewall plugs into this clip/snap in type of end and I couldn't find a fitting that actually went into it tightly. Unless there's another place to check the fuel pressure that I couldn't find.
BenGenVibe07

Post by BenGenVibe07 »

I'm having similar problems. Did you find out what the problem was?