Gas Pedal Issues

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
BaseGT

Gas Pedal Issues

Post by BaseGT »

Hello this is my first post

I have a 2004 Pontiac Vibe but with a twist . My Vibe has a GT engine with the base four speed automatic I have no idea how the made it work but it does its a 1.8L vvtl. Recently I have noticed that when accelerating my gas pedal will not go down and u have to to an incredible amout of force to do so and the it lurches because you cannot ease into it. Also when getting on the highway while accelerating the car shakes violently but when I stop accelerating and maintain my speed it stops .please help.
SeattleJeremy

Re: Gas Pedal Issues

Post by SeattleJeremy »

I've read about early 02 Corolla XRS's (with the 2ZZ) being built with Automatic transmissions, but never Vibes.

From what I remember the 1ZZ and 2ZZ hook up to the transmission the same (replacing the flywheel with the automatic equivalent), and the mounting points are the same as well. Did your car come from the factory as a GT (rear disk brakes, GT badges)? Or did someone put the 2ZZ in the car after the fact? If someone put the 2ZZ in after the fact check, and left the original ECU, then it's not sending the right signals to the engine for proper fuel mix.

As for the recent change in accelerator peddle movement, it might be as simple as the throttle cable being bound up due to improper installation.

How long have you had this car?
Is the check engine light on? If so have you had the codes scanned? What are they?
Is it/was it possible for the engine to rev above 6200 RPM?
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
jolt

Re: Gas Pedal Issues

Post by jolt »

Clean your throttle body and butterfly plate. Remove the throttle cable from the throttle body and make sure the cable and foot pedal work freely, if not, then replace as needed. Make sure butterfly plate is not contacting the throttle bore. If plate has made contact with the throttle bore then repair or replace as needed.