Door lock key problems

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
AwL

Door lock key problems

Post by AwL »

HI - odd problems with door locks.
Driver side: key will not lock doors but will unlock them. It will not turn to left (counter clockwise) but does turn to right.
Passenger side door: Key will unlock doors but will not lock them. It will turn to right but not to left.
Rear door: key will not turn either way.
Interior door lock button does lock and unlock doors so problem seems to be lock cylinders.
Tried all my keys, same result.
Lubed locks with graphite lock spray by inserting straw nozzle into key hole. No difference.
Time to replace all door lock cylinders? Looks like door locks slide out after removing screw behind plastic cover on interior side of door?
Thanks for any help! Al
joatmon

Re: Door lock key problems

Post by joatmon »

welcome to genvibe

I assume the key still works in the ignition, it could be a worn key and the ignition lock is more tolerant. Do you have a spare key? It could be that grime has gunked up the locks, perhaps try flooding the locks with WD40 or penetrating oil The hatch lock seems to be especially vulnerable to gunk

replacing all the locks might be pricey, might be cheaper to have a locksmith fix the ones you have

I bought my current vibe used, and the one key I got had issues in the hatch. I was able to take the lock cylinder out and really clean it, even then it still had n issue, and I was able to file off a little bit of one of the pins in the lock to get it to work. Never took the locks out of the doors, don't know how involved that task is.
cq358

Post by cq358 »

you can keep pounding your lock cylinder with WD40 or dip the key with engine oil of your choice into lock cylinder. You should insert and pull out your key 100 times in quick succession to loosen the plates.
do u have original keys or copied key?
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

In a Mazda Protege I took the lock cylinder out of the trunk lid and completely disassembled it. It was totally caked up and the cylinder tube was corroded. After cleaning and smoothing out the corrosion it worked like new.
Therefore I agree with the WD-40 approach. I'd also try a squirt with throttle body cleaner if the WD-40 does not work right away. The trick is to get the dirt out of the tiny springs.
Also have a good look at the key. Is it bent even slightly? has a rough edge developed? Is it worn out on one side ?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Mark

Post by Mark »

I had the same issue a few years ago with my 04 key. It was due to using the fob to unlock the door then using the key in the ignition. The key had never been turned to the left, or very rarely anyway, so the key had worn to where it wasn't able to unlock the door anymore. A local lock shop was able to look up the original key code using the VIN and make a new original key for me.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite