towing with a really old Vibe. Crazy?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
happypessimist

towing with a really old Vibe. Crazy?

Post by happypessimist »

Hey all. I have popup camper fever. I want. BAD. :)
But my 2003 Vibe has 280,000 miles on it. The engine has only 180,000, but it's the transmission that worries me. I read that you can easily tow over the 1500 pound limit, but I wouldn't do that.

Checked my GVWR yesterday and I bet I've exceeded it with people and stuff many times, but I digress.

Would towing right around the limit, with a transmission cooler and installed trailer brakes. . . . be nuts? I don't want to kill my beloved car. So far, I've never had any transmission problems and I've owned it since 06, and it was my dad's before that, so I know he didn't have any either. I would do some mild mountains. Not major mountains.

any thoughts?
thanks!
lannvouivre

Re: towing with a really old Vibe. Crazy?

Post by lannvouivre »

It would probably be fine, especially if you bothered to change the transmission fluid and stuff.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
circuitsmith

Re: towing with a really old Vibe. Crazy?

Post by circuitsmith »

IMHO towing with a FWD vehicle is not a good idea.
It comes down to laws of physics.
The drive wheels are just too far from the center of gravity for good handling and stability.
2006 Matrix 5-sp