Blower Motor Still not working.

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
clownshoes

Blower Motor Still not working.

Post by clownshoes »

Ok, here is the situation,

Recently my fan only worked on high. This was the symptom of the blower motor resistor failing/failed.

I replaced the blower motor resistor and the blower STILL does not work. Is this a confirmation that the blower motor is pooched? Should I at least try to pull the blower motor and see if it will work if I manually spin the impeller first?

Any thoughts and help would be much appreciated.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD
joatmon

Re: Blower Motor Still not working.

Post by joatmon »

blower on high is the classic symptom of the resistor. Either blown or just not installed, same effect. Double check that the connector is well seated on the resistor.

If the fan runs fine on high, I wouldn't normally suspect the blower motor. Could be but seems less likely.

Its theoretically possible its the fan speed switch, you could use the wiring diagram at download/file.php?id=2847 and see if you get a ground on the wires at the blower resistor connector for the various fan speed settings
clownshoes

Post by clownshoes »

Just to confirm, the blower motor does not spin at all after replacing the blower motor resistor.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD
justaskin

Post by justaskin »

I know this is a month old but just to help in case it's still an issue you could put the old resistor pack back in and see if the blower again runs on high.

This would at least diagnose a faulty new resistor set in case that's the issue. If not it sounds like there's an electrical connection issue.

I've changed out several thermistors in the past to fix blower fan speed issues and it's always worked.
clownshoes

Post by clownshoes »

UPDATE!
Yesterday I replaced my blower motor with one from Rockauto. It was a TYC brand. Installation was simple.

The fan works great!

So all told, I replaced the blower motor resistor and blower motor.
I get the feeling that the motors start to seize up, the extra strain blows the resistor then the fan craps out.

I have heat again! yay!
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD