wheel alignment orsomething else?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
TrickiVic

wheel alignment orsomething else?

Post by TrickiVic »

I have an issue with my 2005 Vibe and it has been like this for awhile. When I hold the steering wheel centre of the vehicle while driving it will pull to the right. Now I have had two wheel alignments done to this vehicle for free. 1st time was at the dealership when the passenger airbag recall was going on and they had a free inspection for Pontiac's at the time. Second time was a month or two ago to get a new wheel stud and some door trim fixed. (i don't know how I got the second one for free but I was glad to have the steering wheel straight for a while)

One of my co-workers (he use to work at Kal-Tire) mentioned that it could be the steering column but I thought I ask you guys and gals for advice before going ahead with any repairs.
jolt

Re: wheel alignment orsomething else?

Post by jolt »

Check your lower ball joints and the tie rods for wear. Also check your lower a-frames bushings for deflection and wear. Pay and get a real four wheel alignment done at a shop that does front end repair; not a tire shop. The best way to find a good alignment shop in your area is to talk to the body repair shops and find out where they take their cars for alignment.
Caretaker

Re: wheel alignment orsomething else?

Post by Caretaker »

Let's start simple:

1. Forget where the center of the steering wheel is supposed to be pointed for the moment: when you are on a perfectly flat road or driving down a neighborhood street at the top of the crown (ie: you are straddling the yellow line to ensure you are on a perfectly flat area), is the car still pulling to the right/left when you let go of the steering wheel and you let off the gas pedal? If so, it could be "runout" on your tires. Runout is a condition where poorly worn tires (either due to not having them rotated or balance properly at regular intervals) will make the car appear as if it needs an alignment when in reality, it is the poorly worn tires with uneven tread pulling the car towards the low spots on the tire(s). Hankook tires are famous for this.

2. If the car tracks nice and straight on the top of a crowned road or extremely flat road with your hands off the wheel and foot off the gas AND the pontiac symbol is not pointed straight up, then the dealer didn't reset the steering wheel to zero. I've had this happen many times after paying for an alignment and have taken my car back to have them properly "true" the steering wheel to zero.

3. if neither of these (tire runout or steering wheel reset) are not your problem, then something mechanical is wrong with the car. Hopefully you had the new laser alignment process done to your car. It is much more reliable than the manual pull/tug method.