So many problems with 2005 Vibe

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
odelayheehoo

So many problems with 2005 Vibe

Post by odelayheehoo »

Hi all, this is my first ever post here. I've read a lot of other posts on here and tried my best using Search to find all the answers I'm looking for before posting, but I could not find answers to many of these questions.

My Vibe is a base 2005 AWD. Although I love this car, it has been one problem after another. I'm the only one in my family who does auto repairs because my husband is intimidated by auto work. I'm a 49-year-old woman so I am limited in the amount of heavy DIY work that I can do, but I have replaced the battery and done general tweaks here and there. I am not afraid of getting under a car and getting my hands dirty. Here is a list of all the problems:

1. The biggest problem I am having right now is the hood latch. A few months ago, I was cruising down the highway when the hood flipped open. I pulled over and shut the hood and then drove at a low speed (with flashers on) to a shop to get it repaired -- only it was not repaired. Last night I went to get two bulbs for the headlights. The bulbs went in OK but I could not get the hood to shut. A person came out from the auto parts store and told me that whomever had "fixed" the latch had simply put it back in backwards. So now I'm trying to figure out what to do about the hood latch. Auto Zone has a hood latch assembly that I could buy but honestly I'd feel much better if the Vibe pros on this site looked at it before I bought it. It's a Dorman - OE Solutions Hood Latch.

2. The tires cannot be aligned because the connector arms in the rear need to be replaced. The tire shop did not tell me if it was a lower arm, or which arm it is, so I can't reliably look for a good used part. So frustrating!! The tire shops does not do mechanical work, and the auto shop wants to charge me over $500 for each arm, but this is the same place that put my hood latch on backwards, so well they can just "whistle Dixie" as my mother used to say. :) But seriously, is that a reasonable price that I should be expecting to pay?

3. The car needs new struts all around. I'd also like to buy those myself and take them to a shop (or do it myself if I can get the bolts loose). However I don't know if it needs different struts for the front and the back, or if I can use the same kind all around, or what. The videos I've viewed have shown me how to replace the struts, but I think I might need [MORE POWER] (LOL!) to do the job right. Once I get the struts all set and the connector arms replaced, the place where I bought tires recently has agreed to give me an alignment for free.

4. There is a big dark spot under where I normally park the car. With all the other stuff going on I am almost afraid to get it looked at.

One of my co-workers made a joke that I should just stab a stake through the heart of this car because of all the trouble, but I don't want another car, I want to make this car mechanically sound.

I'm completely on my own on this and I am very frustrated. Any input is very much appreciated.

Christa
Caretaker

Re: So many problems with 2005 Vibe

Post by Caretaker »

1. are you the original owner? If you are not, you may have inherited a lot of pass-me-down problems.
2. how many miles on the car? Not really important with your engine unless you drive 100% in the city or 100% in the mountains. But if you are at say, 250,000 miles, it would put your issues into perspective.

Do remember that your car is 12 years old. For an inexpensive compact car, that's a lot of years. This week, I had to pay $2200 to "simply" replace the timing cover gaskets in my Vibe. Had to remove the engine to get to them. A real kick in the teeth with my car being only 8 years old. Repairs are going to be necessary at one point or another; less so with Honda which is where my search will begin and end from here on out.
odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo »

I am not the original owner. The car came from New York and I bought it in Massachusetts.

The car has about 170,000 miles on it, give-or-take a few.

It was a replacement for my Subrau which my spouse totalled. (That is not a typo, BTW. Literally at some point before I bought it, a dyslexic auto-body person put the words on the car that way -- S-U-B-R-A-U) Maybe I should consider a newer Toyota Matrix instead.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Firstly, welcome to genvibe! As a fellow 2005 AWD owner, I'll answer as best I can...
odelayheehoo wrote: 1. The biggest problem I am having right now is the hood latch. A few months ago, I was cruising down the highway when the hood flipped open. I pulled over and shut the hood and then drove at a low speed (with flashers on) to a shop to get it repaired -- only it was not repaired. Last night I went to get two bulbs for the headlights. The bulbs went in OK but I could not get the hood to shut. A person came out from the auto parts store and told me that whomever had "fixed" the latch had simply put it back in backwards. So now I'm trying to figure out what to do about the hood latch. Auto Zone has a hood latch assembly that I could buy but honestly I'd feel much better if the Vibe pros on this site looked at it before I bought it. It's a Dorman - OE Solutions Hood Latch.
Wow, that's really scary. :shock: Hopefully, the hood didn't bend or damage the roof! I'm not sure how the latch could be installed backwards- is the release lever on the right? Here's what it should look like: Image

This can be tricky- I have a relative with a 2003 that had a similar problem (hood popped open on highway) that took several attempts to fix. I would order a new assembly (88972905) or the Toyota equivalent. Also might check the release cable to make sure it operates properly by having an assistant pull the handle under the dash several times while you watch it move.
odelayheehoo wrote:2. The tires cannot be aligned because the connector arms in the rear need to be replaced. The tire shop did not tell me if it was a lower arm, or which arm it is, so I can't reliably look for a good used part. So frustrating!! The tire shops does not do mechanical work, and the auto shop wants to charge me over $500 for each arm, but this is the same place that put my hood latch on backwards, so well they can just "whistle Dixie" as my mother used to say. :) But seriously, is that a reasonable price that I should be expecting to pay?
The control arms are probably fine (unless there are chunks missing due to corrosion). Both upper and lower control arms have adjustment bolts. The issue with alignment is the adjustment bolts being stuck to the rubber bushings. This is common to Toyotas. The shop can't get the bolt loose and if they tear the bushing, it needs to be replaced at $100 each plus labor to replace. The control arms are expensive! If the alignment is waaaay off, this is a problem, otherwise I'd leave them be.
odelayheehoo wrote:3. The car needs new struts all around. I'd also like to buy those myself and take them to a shop (or do it myself if I can get the bolts loose). However I don't know if it needs different struts for the front and the back, or if I can use the same kind all around, or what. The videos I've viewed have shown me how to replace the struts, but I think I might need [MORE POWER] (LOL!) to do the job right. Once I get the struts all set and the connector arms replaced, the place where I bought tires recently has agreed to give me an alignment for free.
The front struts can be replaced with quick struts from either KYB (stock OEM) or Monroe. The rear struts are trickier and the only rear quick strut I've seen is from Monroe. There are descriptions of this job on the forum...
odelayheehoo wrote:4. There is a big dark spot under where I normally park the car. With all the other stuff going on I am almost afraid to get it looked at.
What type of fluid is it and where is it- front or back? There are only so many things it could be: engine oil, coolant, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, gear oil (transfer case and rear differential), gasoline, washer fluid, or water (from A/C drain). Take a paper towel and dab the spot- does it come up with a color? Does it smell like any of those fluids? If you check fluid levels (dipsticks, etc.) are there any glaring low levels?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
clownshoes

Post by clownshoes »

No offense but it sounds like this is a DIY repair car. Sometimes you have to take it to a reputable shop to be repaired properly.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD