Another AC compressor clutch not engaging, but with a twist

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
proofbygazing

Another AC compressor clutch not engaging, but with a twist

Post by proofbygazing »

Amazing to be posting here for my first time, since I've read so many posts on this great website over the years. Wonderful community, and I hope somebody knows how to help.

My 2004 Pontiac Vibe's AC is blowing warm air. My dad was driving it (I wasn't in the car) and he told me it made a sound like it was stalling out, then it came back, and the air was warm. I have read many threads on here about this issue, so I confirmed that the compressor clutch is not engaging (although the engine does make a different sound when the AC button is pushed) but it is able to turn (not super freely but it does turn by hand). I tried to "jump" the relay by following instructions in posts such as this, first with a paperclip between the jacks from the fuse to the clutch, and when that didn't work, I went out and bought a multimeter which confirmed there was no power coming in (I tested every combination of holes, then tested the cable that runs into the compressor).

I thought this meant I was fortunate enough to simply have a blown fuse, but my A/C fuse in the interior fuse box was perfectly fine (swapped it out just in case but it made no difference). Furtheremore, I then ran a piece of wire straight from the battery's red terminal to the jack for the clutch, and it still didn't initiate. Maybe I did it incorrectly?

So now I'm worried I have an electrical problem and a bad clutch :? I'm not sure what to do next. I would be more than willing to install a new clutch but I have no idea how to start tackling the electrical problem.
jolt

Re: Another AC compressor clutch not engaging, but with a twist

Post by jolt »

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/ac-cl ... -test.html

Also do the Resistance Test. Besides the testing coil between wires also check each wire to ground. Do you have good resistance readings at coil for clutch?

Blown fuses are the result of a problem and are never the cause of a problem. A fuse is a safety device to protect the wiring from damage. Be very careful when jumping out wires as you can cause more damage by bypassing safety items like fuses and back feeding power to other circuits. That is why you use a good meter to test....safety of you and the circuit you are testing.
proofbygazing

Post by proofbygazing »

jolt wrote:http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/ac-cl ... -test.html

Also do the Resistance Test. Besides the testing coil between wires also check each wire to ground. Do you have good resistance readings at coil for clutch?

Blown fuses are the result of a problem and are never the cause of a problem. A fuse is a safety device to protect the wiring from damage. Be very careful when jumping out wires as you can cause more damage by bypassing safety items like fuses and back feeding power to other circuits. That is why you use a good meter to test....safety of you and the circuit you are testing.
Okay, so I realized I may have been messing up testing the voltage at the relay (I know painfully little) so I tested again by putting the negative on the negative terminal on the battery and it showed 13.5v, so I think that was a false alarm.

EDIT: figured out how to test the relay resistance, it's working. I ordered a new clutch, should be here Wednesday. Thanks for the link!
proofbygazing

Post by proofbygazing »

So I've got a replacement clutch (this one) and following the instructions I got the torx screw off. Unfortunately the screw was a T27 while the instructions indicated a T30, and now that I have it off I can't get the driver assembly to slide off like the instructions say it should.

I've noticed my compressor is a Delphi - it says 9033 on it but that doesn't seem to be a model they sell. Regardless, did I buy the wrong clutch?

Feeling fizzled right now. I'm knee deep in this and can't get past this driver assembly that refuses to slide off!
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

My 03 has a 9033 compressor in it, but the end bolt is a T30 torx.

Which assembly doesn't come off? Its been too long for me to remember. Looking at the thread you linked earlier that provided instructions and #$*&^# bad image links, how far did you get?