Cylinder head replaced now codes p0012 and p0016

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Daffydavid

Cylinder head replaced now codes p0012 and p0016

Post by Daffydavid »

So my wife drove her 2005 Vibe base until the timing chain snapped and bent the valves. No codes on car prior to this except last year P0016 set and that went away when I replaced cam and crank sensors. Cylinder head was replaced but the car keeps setting codes P0012 [Camshaft position (CMP), intake/left/front, bank 1 timing over -retarded] and P0016 [P0016 OBD-II Trouble Code: Camshaft Position A - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1)]. A new VVT solenoid was installed at the same time as the cylinder head and timing chain. I put the old VVT back in to see if that will help but no luck. Cam sensor and crankshaft sensor are less than a year old. Any suggestions?
jolt

Re: Cylinder head replaced now codes p0012 and p0016

Post by jolt »

https://www.autocodes.com/uploads/toyota/EG005-07.pdf

"NOTE:
The timing gear MUST be in the unlocked position when installing on the camshaft.
Please see step 5 for instructions to unlock the camshaft timing gear."

Does it have the updated gear that is listed in the above TSB?

Lots of things here that are unknowns as to what was done and what changed. Was the above TSB followed? Is it the same head that came off car or was it a different head? It is hard to tell and easy to see why no one has answered this.
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

What's the mileage when the chain was broken.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
Daffydavid

Post by Daffydavid »

Thanks for the info Jolt. The cylinder head was swapped out with a rebuilt one. I will have to find out if the gear was unlocked as I didn't do that work myself. I will look into this in next few days. I assume if this wasn't done then the timing gear will need to be replaced. I have ordered new cam and crank sensors. They arrive in a week. I tested the old and new vvt solenoids and they both function properly. I appreciate the help.
Daffydavid

Post by Daffydavid »

Mileage was 202k miles. Changed out the crankshaft sensor and still popping p0012. Camshaft sensor arrives next couple of days but at this point I'm thinking of taking it in to shop. Who knows these better Toyota or GM? From what I gather the concensus is Toyota.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Despite some on these boards who try to rationalize their Vibe as a GM, the car simply is a GM wrapped Toyota Corolla. You want to stay as far away from GM "support" as possible. Go to a Toyota expert; hopefully not a dealership.
Daffydavid

Post by Daffydavid »

So, ready for this? The cause of all my problems was the reluctor(crankshaft position sensor ring). Despite the fact it has a giant capital F on it to show "front" apparently the other garage thought it stood for fackwards. Runs great now that it's in the right way. 4 hrs labour later though.
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

Thank you for sharing the solution.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)