Air Conditioning/Heat not working

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
goodvibe77

Air Conditioning/Heat not working

Post by goodvibe77 »

On Wednesday I took my car ( a 2004 Pontiac Vibe 212,00 miles) to get cleaned afterwards the A/C would not work. When I turned it on the fan did not come on, there was no air, nothing. I tried putting the heat on and it was the same thing. Same as the defrost. Also when I pushed the AC button, the green light did not come on. Does anyone know what the problem is? Is it a fuse? Or the fan? (I just got the fan replaced a year or two ago).
jayoldschool

Re: Air Conditioning/Heat not working

Post by jayoldschool »

Likely the resistor module that controls the fan. Very common, inexpensive, and easy to change.
joatmon

Re: Air Conditioning/Heat not working

Post by joatmon »

If the resistor is bad or disconnected, the fan should still come on when the fan speed switch is set to the highest speed setting. goodvibe77 didn't say that was tried, but assuming it was and still no blower, then I'm inclined to not suspect the resistor.

If it does work on the highest speed setting, then first step would be to look at it and see if whoever cleaned the car disconnected or stressed the wires at the resistor.

There aren't a lot of things to cause both no blower and no light on the AC switch, and not sure if any are particularly likely to be affected by cleaning. Power for both comes from the 40A Heater fuse in the under dash fuse block, then through the Heater relay which is on the top side of a junction block up over the glove box. Heater relay is engaged when the fan speed setting is anything except off. The Heater relay also provides power to the 10A AC fuse, which is what would give you the light on the AC switch.

The heater relay is in the same junction block as the Tail relay, and a very few people here have had the Tail relay become unseated, so it might be worth taking out the glove box, reaching up and making sure that the Heater relay is seated. download/file.php?id=33

Might be possible the cleaners shorted something out and blew the 40A heater fuse.

Might be that the cleaners both screwed the wiring at the blower motor and perhaps removed the trim around the radio bezel and forgot to hook the wire back up to the AC/recirc switch.

MIght be something else altogether, You'll need heat and AC at some point, so when you get it figured out, let us know what it was.

Probably too much time gone now to take it back to the cleaners and expect them to fix it