Vents don't work

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Betheaw

Vents don't work

Post by Betheaw »

When this issue originally started, the vents would run constantly on high - no matter what the level was set on (0-4). It couldn't be turned off or to low, it ran all the time. That continued until the inevitable happened - something died and now nothing is coming through the vents. I suppose their is a very slight amount of air being forced through, but nothing substantial. At first, I could hear something (perhaps the fan), sound like it was trying to work, but I can't hear anything anymore. I replaced the blower motor resistor but nothing has changed.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any thoughts on what else it might be? I am new to car repair - the blower motor resistor was my first dabble in the area of car maintenance so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2009 Pontiac Vibe with 151,000 miles.
jolt

Re: Vents don't work

Post by jolt »

You are going to need a voltage meter to troubleshoot this problem and I would guess you have more then one problem by what you have stated. You have only six pieces to make the blower motor work. I am taking it that when you say "vents would run constantly on high", you are talking about the blower. The parts are the blower motor, blower resister, blower speed switch, HTR (heater) relay, the 50A HTR fuse, and the wiring. You said you replaced the blower resistor so for now that will be crossed off the list.
When this issue originally started, the vents would run constantly on high - no matter what the level was set on (0-4). It couldn't be turned off or to low, it ran all the time.
The blower speed switch when set to level 0 will not let the blower run. This is with the A\C turned off. With the A\C turned off and the fan speed set to 0 and the blower still running in high speed, it could be a bad speed control switch, the blower resistor is shorted to ground, or you have wiring shorted to ground on the light blue blower motor wire from the motor to the switch and resistor.

Next problem:
I could hear something (perhaps the fan), sound like it was trying to work, but I can't hear anything anymore.
This could be all the items in the system that is listed above. The simple thing to try is lower the glove box and remove the cabin air filter. Turn the ignition key to on and turn the fan switch on. Can you hear the blower run? If not try tapping the blower motor with the handle of a screw drive. If the fan motor takes off running, you have to replace the fan motor because the brushes are bad in the motor. If that does not work then you have to get out the voltage meter. Check your fuses. Pull the connector for the blower resistor and carefully test for voltage on the light blue wires with the positive lead of the volt meter while having the negative lead of the volt meter grounded to the white wire with the black stripe. You should be seeing 12 plus volts if you have power to the fan motor. If not, you have to back track to the relay for the blower motor or the fuse to find where you are losing the power to the fan motor.

My told guess from what you said is that the fan speed switch is bad, and from the fan running full speed all the time, that the motor brushes are wore out so that now the motor does not run. With out checking for voltage to track the problem or problems down, it could be anything in the system.