2005 AWD engine stall or near stall air bag light will restart

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
48machinerulz

2005 AWD engine stall or near stall air bag light will restart

Post by 48machinerulz »

Hi over the last few weeks our 2005 AWD vibe only 80,000, It has developed a stall or near stall condition at the time it happens the SIR air bag light comes on and I think the oil light it also is quite ,random when it does it, it could be driving or turns also has stalled and restarted in a parking lot. it has so far restarted every time it has stalled with no wait period. there are no codes and never have been. I have scanned it with a snap-On verus scanner 4 different times each time no codes are set in any module. I once owned a 05 FWD vide that was doing this similar thing and the ECM under the dash was replaced as part of a recall and it never occurred again. I am headed this direction at this point with no other option but it is and expensive educated guess at this point.
circuitsmith

Re: 2005 AWD engine stall or near stall air bag light will restart

Post by circuitsmith »

With weird interactions like this my first suspect is a bad ground connection.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I agree with Circuitsmith.
Before spending any money on expensive parts I suggest:
1. Clean the battery posts and cable terminals.
2. Clean the connections on the alternator. The mounting points and bolts serve as ground connections here.
3. Look for grounding straps and clean the contact surfaces.

If above fails: have the battery and the alternator bench tested. You could also start with this, in particular if the battery is already a few years old.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe, fellow '05 AWD!

I'm not aware of an ECM recall for 2005 AWD Vibes.

How old is the battery and is it close to the end of its rated life? I would make sure the connections are tight and clean, then put a multi-meter on the terminals to check voltage with the engine off (around 12.6 volts) and with the engine running, no load - accessories off- (around 14.2 volts).
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
48machinerulz

Post by 48machinerulz »

I guess I should've told you guys the battery is brand-new I replaced it in the middle of this concern and it still stalled out after the battery was brand-new , connections are clean and tight as well, as for the grounds, where they go to the transmission case and any other one that I could find. to clarify about the recall it was not on the all-wheel-drive cars. I simply made that comment because my 2005 FWD was on the recall I know the AWD wasn't in the recall. Also being that this is a all-wheel-drive vibe they have a cable operated throttlebody not an electronic throttle body so the concern with idol could learning does not involve the all wheel drive cars at least for the 2005 model year .
jolt

Post by jolt »

I 'll throw out a guess, and I know that this is not a GM, crankshaft position sensor. GM vehicles will act this way up to the point of just not running anymore. They just stop like you turned the key off. As you coast to the side of the road and stop. They will just start back up again and you drive some more. In the Vibe, you have both a crankshaft and a camshaft position sensors. Just follow the factory manual for testing. Check all the electrical connections for these sensors, which end up at the ECM. The crankshaft sensor is around $45.00 at Rock Auto parts and if you are guessing, it a cheaper guess than the ECM. I also wonder about the alternator but you usually get engine stumbling and rough running with an alternator.